User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #76
Engineer John
Engineer

Oddometer: 20
New Bike

Hey Dan, did you bring both bikes? It looks like you're on a DRZ/KLX in the videos.

I finally pulled the trigger on this: Engineer John's New Bike

That's why I didn't make it to Aroostook, I was bike shopping.

How did you find the SE on the trails?

John

(Sorry about the Hijack)
Engineer John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #77
robbz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great pics Lisa! Looks like you had a great time while we were gone. Good to meet you and hope to see you again next year.
John: awesome bike!!!:
robbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #78
Nag'em
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Great photos Lisa! We have to get together to ride again soon. And I loved taking your bike for a spin thanks!

(Wow John, nice bike! But I was gonna sell you my KLR when I ws done with it...)
Nag'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #79
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Great pics Lisa. Glad you got to see some of our NB sites. The Saint John River is nice along the 105. Moosie and I rode that home Sunday aswell. Good to see you guys again. It was an incredible weekend, as usual.

MP5
Definitely hope to make it back to NB soon to ride more of the area! Shoein was pretty impressed with you guys bringing those big bikes for the RIP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer John View Post
Hey Dan, did you bring both bikes? It looks like you're on a DRZ/KLX in the videos.

I finally pulled the trigger on this: Engineer John's New Bike

That's why I didn't make it to Aroostook, I was bike shopping.

How did you find the SE on the trails?

John

(Sorry about the Hijack)
No problem with the Hijack- Dan had his 950r super enduro with him- shoein is wondering if maybe he switched bikes during the video with someone else- shoein gave Dan's bike a try and liked it very much. Looks like you did very well with bike shopping!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #80
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbz View Post
Great pics Lisa! Looks like you had a great time while we were gone. Good to meet you and hope to see you again next year.
John: awesome bike!!!:
Was great to meet everybody and I did have a wonderful time. I will definitely plan to make it next year, even if I am doing my own thing again- I tend to be a big chicken on the dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nag'em View Post
Great photos Lisa! We have to get together to ride again soon. And I loved taking your bike for a spin thanks!

(Wow John, nice bike! But I was gonna sell you my KLR when I ws done with it...)
You'll need to take the WR for a longer ride next time! Will be in touch soon about a possible trip up your way!
tent space
Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 AM   #81
Deldog
n00b

Oddometer: 7
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing your travels.
Deldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #82
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Thumb

Nice job on the report & thanks for taking the time! Brought back lots of memories. I lived in Boston from about 1967 to 1974 & had a friend from Calais, ME....we made several trips to Calais/St.Stephen over the years and I remember the Airline (Rt. 9) well...if you didn't have what you needed when you left Bangor, you weren't going to find it before you got to Calais Had a couple of memorable border crossings there and at Milltown (I think) a few miles up river. Good times.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #83
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deldog View Post
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing your travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
Nice job on the report & thanks for taking the time! Brought back lots of memories. I lived in Boston from about 1967 to 1974 & had a friend from Calais, ME....we made several trips to Calais/St.Stephen over the years and I remember the Airline (Rt. 9) well...if you didn't have what you needed when you left Bangor, you weren't going to find it before you got to Calais Had a couple of memorable border crossings there and at Milltown (I think) a few miles up river. Good times.
Thanks for the feedback!
Route 9 has changed a bit over the years- they have widened and straightened quite a bit of it- wicked fast road, also quite a few services on it now. Still a lot of pretty views though.

tent space
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #84
scanda
Trooper

Oddometer: 11
Thanks for the wicked good pictures.
I use to race at Skowhegan and Rumford when I was a youngster.
I am from Winslow originally, went in the Army and never returned home other than to visit my family.

-Bill
scanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #85
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanda View Post
Thanks for the wicked good pictures.
I use to race at Skowhegan and Rumford when I was a youngster.
I am from Winslow originally, went in the Army and never returned home other than to visit my family.

-Bill
Wow, first post! I feel honored
The Skowhegan track just moved to Norridgewalk this year. I guess they had a bit of trouble coming to agreement with the sportsman's club.
tent space
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #86
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

shoein, dirt and the couch-tank

I don't know if I have mentioned this, but shoein really likes to ride dirt- the more technical the better. Me, I'm a big chicken- anything more than a maintained dirt road or maintained rail trail and I'm leaving skidmarks in my..... well, you get the picture. I just don't feel very comfortable or confident on two wheels when things get rough. Now Jerry has the KTM which makes him want to ride the trails even more- and we have a great variety of trails from easy to extremely technical. He has gone out alone a couple of times, but that worries both of us. So I finally decided to go over to the dark side with the hope I could follow Jerry on the trails. So I ended up getting something that may be offensive to some ADV riders..... after I riding it this past week I have decided to call it my COUCH-TANK- since it feels like a cross between sitting on my couch and driving a tank (although I have never drivin a tank....). I will refer to it hence on here as my couch-tank- and hopefully avoid offending any ADVriders. Perhaps, like the Basilisk in Harry Potter, if we don't look at it directly, it won't hurt anybody- what a pretty potato field:

I picked up my couch-tank on Monday, and played around with it a bit this past week, yesterday we decided to put it to the test if this was going to work- I'm happy to say, it worked pretty well- not perfect, cause I'm still chicken (slow), and the couch-tank is definitely a different animal from a KTM250- what a KTM could go around or pick an easier line through, the couch tank had many less options.

We rode 72 miles yesterday- any where from very easy (I could easily have ridden on my wr and not had a single moment of worry) to extremely technical (I would not have even considered hike and bike through this) and I am happy to say, the couch-tank handled it all with me piloting it the whole way- so now I can run SAG for shoein with it and hopefully get some good dirt pics. I was amazed at what pretty trails we have in the area that I just would not have the confidence or skill to ride on 2 wheels. And while riding the couch-tank will have no direct effect on my 2 wheel dirt skills, I did notice I was looking at the lines through stuff with 2 wheels in mind, and after hitting the extremely difficult trails, some of the stuff on the way home looked a bit less scary, so maybe it will have an indirect effect??????

So anyway, some pics from the day........
tent space
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #87
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Did I mention, shoein realllllly likes the dirt?

And did I mention pretty views?

The pretty orange bike still looks pretty clean here..... but that will change!
tent space
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #88
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Another potato field- in purple this time:

I know he's thinking "dang, she's got that camera out again...... lets RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The orange bike is not quite as clean as it was....

Remember, don't look directly to the left of the picture and no harm will come to you!

tent space
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #89
uralrob
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi Lisa,
Just came across your thread. Great pics, really enjoy them. I'm in N.S. and ride N.B. and Maine quite a bit. We sure live in great riding country and a beautiful part of the world.
Keep the pics coming.
Thanks,
Rob.
uralrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #90
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Big hose reel:

"...smoke on the horizon" (sounds like it should be a song lyric....)

After this pic is when we reached the extremely technical part of the trail- up, down, loose rocks, baby heads, wash outs, deep ruts, thought the couch-tank might tip over a couple of times as one set of wheels was so much higher than the other set..... and that was on the good line through.... BUT I DID IT! Trail I would NEVER have considered on 2 wheels. And what a joy seeing shoein up on the pegs dancing with the KTM through it- absoulutely amazing.

Unfortunately I did not get any pics of this section as I was busy concentrating on what I was doing, and did not want to hold shoein up any more than I was.... oh well, guess we'll just have to head back again sometime soon so I can get pics Maybe the couch-tank is cheating, but I would have never in a million years gone down this trail on 2 wheels... and it was FUN FUN FUN!!! Not a replacement for my 2 wheel critters by any means, but definitely a way for me to get out in the technical dirt with shoein.
tent space