Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #151
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
And it turned into the most amazing and dynamic sunset I have ever witnessed.

Photobucket
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #152
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Photobucket
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #153
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Photobucket
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #154
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Photobucket
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #155
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Photobucket
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #156
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Each moment so surreal....

Photobucket
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #157
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

....trying to come up with words to describe it is pointless.

Photobucket
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #158
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Photobucket
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #159
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

I woke up the next morning in great anticipation for the day’s ride and was soaked to finally be setting out. I love uncut sand and I had a bunch more to explore. I hopped on the beach out of camp and headed north, knowing that I couldn’t go far but wanting to explore and see what there was to see.

Large tide fluctuations are nice, sweeping the sand twice a day. And I blasted up the beach lapping in the the uncut sand.

I stumbled onto another house on stilts.

And I took a few pictures without bothering to stop.

But I ran into something I couldn’t think about crossing.

So turned around and headed back.

But I had to take yet another snap of the mighty volcanoes.

And took one more shot as I rode back to the beach access point; I got the red line decently high in this one I see. But, back on road I decided to not try and ride the beach through the City of Kenai, too many houses overlooking and too much population. It probably isn’t a problem, and the locals do it on their ATVs all the time it seems. Mainly, I couldn’t dilly dally because I had to time the tides and had a bunch more beach to explore, so I headed north.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #160
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Back Again...

Yea, so, I have been slacking on this a bit. Not that it seems it has been missed much, but that is OK. At any rate, I am going to try and push on. Just been having to spin the hamster wheel lately, but I have been careful not to slap on a bunch of gold plating and shiny rocks. Instead trying to place the food holds perfectly, lube it up so it spins effortlessly, and looking ways for others to help push it for me. But now, it is back to the story.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #161
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

36 Miles One Way

After the little morning jaunt up the beach I headed up north on the Kenai, took some of the side roads, and made my way up the Captain Cook State Recreational Area. I had scoped it out a while before and my mouth had been watering since I found out about it. I was a little hesitant to blast up the beach with no outs and major time restrictions due to the tide. Flopping the bike down, snapping your leg, and getting pinned underneath an obese dual-sport with the tide closing in on you is not an ideal situation. I would be lying if I didn’t say I was a little nervous rolling down the beach access ramp and starting into the sand. Sure, I love sand, but a KLR isn’t the best tool for the job. But, it is half-way decent though.

It had been bright and sunny down by Kalifornski, but it was back into the enchantment as I set off up the beach.

It started right after I hopped into the sand. That one is looking back at the access point.

A lot of the beach on the Kenai I found was perfect, fine and smooth; but this was a bit more on the rocky side. A nice variation from small and un-substantial to baby-heads, rim benders, and all the way to ones the size of houses. Some even had houses built in-between them.

Most of it was perfect riding. The rocks were an excellent change of pace, it is much more fun when you actually have to worry about where you place your front. The KLR’s suspension is not exactly stellar, and none of the terrain was too much.

The fog added a nice element, it was almost like I expected to see a big black pirate ship, but who knows, I never actually looked to see if Captain Cook was actually a pirate.

I would be lying if I didn’t say that this trip made me a little uneasy, when you’re doing this type of riding it is always better to have a riding buddy. I tried to talk Parepin into it when I met him a few weeks before, I sent him a text or two, but he had his own adventure. Not to throw anyone under the bus or anything but maybe it was a good thing, his bike could have snapped in half or something.

I knew I wasn’t all alone however, as it usually seemed up there. Maybe that is what you get when there are only 10 roads in a state twice the size of Texas. I was following some tracks, a truck and a couple ATV it seemed. And before I knew it I caught up with the ATVs.

I nodded as I passed and kept on going, but not too much further up there was a cool looking outcropping so I decided to pull over.

The ATVs arrived not too much longer, we chatted for a minute and they headed on up the beach.

Soon after I saddled up and headed on.
And of course we weren’t the only one out and about.

And not too long after the clouds started to break.

A ways up, I started seeing paths cutting off the beach. A bit further I ran into a guy on an old Honda three-wheeler and decided to stop and chat. He started telling that there is a whole community out there, with their only access out is up the beach during low tide, or on a sled, or snow machine as they firmly call it. He used to own a motorcycle shop in the Anchorage area so he was glad to see a bike venturing up. He also said he rarely sees it, and thought it was odd that so few do it. I was cool to talk to him but I had riding to do.

Up until this point it had been mostly easy sailing, but I suppose it is all relative. At any rate, I was getting into it and really had no second thoughts. But, I still had maybe 10 or 15 miles to go before the end. Then it started to get rocky. Now, there are many different types of “rocky”, as I previously touched on. This type of “rocky” is a little more on the sketchy side.

These types of rocks will flop you down in the blink of an eye. It can be like riding on a deep bed of marbles. But stopping and turning around was more hassle than blasing on, so I kept going. At least until I decided to stop for pictures.

And a ways further up, the sand took back the top of the beach and I neared the end.

It was sad to see the sand end and the mud and muck start. But it was a cool feeling out there all alone, looking across to fire island. But the good part was, the fun was only half over.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #162
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

36 Miles One Way

The guy that I ran into by the little settlement 15 miles back kept going on about how pristine it was at the end of the beach. Talking about bears feeding on salmon, lush vegetation, and untouched wilderness. Most of the time up there I always felt like people were near by, but you didn't get that felling at the tip of the beach, staring across the bay to Fire Island. It was surreal, I had to just take it in for a while.

The way back was much more mellow. I knew I had plenty of time to beat the tide, and there were no more surprises. I just tried to take it all in.

Photobucket

I couldn't stop taking pictures of the mighty volcanoes across the inlet, looking so docile covered in white.

Photobucket

I would go a little, then stop, take some pictures then go a little further and stop. Starting off in second makes getting going much easier in these types of situations.

Maybe 10 miles from the end, I ran into the group of ATVers. I stopped to chat for a bit, and give them the scoop on how much more they had left. It sounded like they were going to turn around, worried they might be tight on time. I thought they could probably do it, but it might have been tight and ATVs are slow. I didn't stick around for their decision, the riding was way too good for that.

Photobucket

Before long I was out of the wilderness and back to civilization.

Photobucket

And kept taking more pictures.....

Photobucket

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 11:50 PM
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #163
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

36 Miles One Way (Pt. 3)

Maybe because I am from land locked Colorado, or maybe because it reminded me of blasting up the beach in Baja with much different scenery, but what ever it was I couldn't get enough of it. I just stopped to take picture after picture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of this rock and that rock.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #164
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
I’ve been debating for a while whether or not I should write up this little story but I have to admit, l love looking at these pictures and writing my first little story, Baja Single-Line Tour, was pretty fun too. I took a ton of pictures up there and so here it goes, my take on probably the most well documented destination around here since I have already done the second (not to say that it is not justified though).

So FAKE, why?

Yea, I kind of break the main theme on this one; I didn’t even ride my bike up. Yea, I trailerd my KLR up, can you believe it? I know what you are thinking, but I can handle the ridicule…I have thick skin. I do have my own justification though (well it convinced me at least). But first, a little overview:

Me (Zach) and my girl (Tina) were lucky enough to get the opportunity to spend some time exploring Alaska.

We were accompanied by an ugly dog named Chuwe, aka Chubacca, aka Rat-Dog, aka Rat-Dog-Fish-Face………:

We did some riding 2-up:

And I did quite a bit of riding alone:

Saw some perrrrrrty sunsets:

And even did a bit of hiking:

We saw a big mountain:

And I found a pinch of mud:

Saw a few glaciers:

And caught a fish or two (or sometimes just tried):

Found some cool mushrooms:

And rode to some mountaintops (or as close as I could get):

I rode a bunch of beach:

And saw some old mines:

Spent some time with the family:

And did the little Haul Road thing-a-ma-bob:

Saw some animals:

And even some good pavement:

Saw a million million-dollar views:

And found some cool stuff on the way back too:

Photobucket

But before we get going I need to justify myself first……

So, why would anyone trailer a KLR up to Alaska? Well, the main reason (but definitely not to blame everything on her) is that my baby wanted to come and what could I say about that? I figured taking my truck made more sense especially because she really wanted to take the Rat-Dog too. But first let me back up a bit, some people may be interested in how this came together. I was working for a smaller publically traded software company making cold calls for 2 years (I told you I had thick skin didn’t I), but they off-shored the team to the Philippines.

While I was working there I bought a 2008 KLR 650 off the showroom floor (the only acceptable color of course), a 4-plex and moved into one of the units, an F-250 after my Ranger died, a pop-top camper, and rebuilt my grandpa’s homemade trailer. Tina had her summer break from Nurse Practitioner School. However, my little sister, who is in Pharmacy School, is the one that planted the seed. She had to do 6 -week rotations at different pharmacies, so being the adventurous type, she chose Anchorage, Honolulu, Salt Lake City, and Denver. In addition, my parents decided to drive their camper van up there to meet her. I just so happened to be lucky enough to get laid off in time to join them, so I thought I would go up and see what the employment opportunities looked like.

Honestly, I would have loved to ride my bike up there but I’m not set up for that type of an adventure 2-up on my little old KLR at this point. After doing some rough calculations, for an extended trip up there, I figured that restaurants and hotels would outweigh the cost of gas in my truck. Also, my 2 year old bike already had 17,000 miles on it (27,353km) before the trip and I didn’t want to wear it out too fast. But I have to be honest, I am a dirt biker at heart so putting bikes on trailers is not foreign to me and you can go a lot more places without the extra stuff.

Either way, I wimped out and towed it up there and judge me if you must, hopefully I can make up for it though. But for this little story I think I am going to let may little point-n-shoot and Mother Nature do most of the talking, they are much more eloquent than I.
beautiful couple. you shouldn't have called ur thread "fake" !

did u take all those photos yourselves? you're professionals!
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #165
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

ClifNotes, thanks a million, I still don't know how I got that lucky, Tina is amazing. It is pretty cool having a wife that rides single-line. As for the the pictures, there are a couple smaller ones in there I threw in that my dad took of us in Denali, but other that that I took all the rest. How to use focal length and expertise with shutter speed and aperture are way over my head, I just try to be quick at pulling out the camera when my gut tells me to. Maybe that is the key, just take lots and some are bound to be decent. I guess that is how the professionals do it too though. But on top of that, the biggest distinction is that professionals spend way more than $200 on their cameras. But hey, if you want to buy some of them let me know. I will give you a good deal however, I didn't copy right any of them, or water mark and fake copyright any of them so I suppose you could always steal them too