User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #211
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 481
HYder

The next day, after around 600 miles or 1000 klicks or more in the truck, to Hyder it was to have some fun. The border crossing was easy, especially when you don’t forget your passport. Actually, come to think of it, there may not have even been one. Its been a while now.

But, typically, it is preferred to find the furthest dead-end and work back, but it couldn’t be resisted. There was a cool old bridge that had to be ridden.

Photobucket

With nothing much on the other side, other than a dirt parking lot, back to the main road it was and off to see what could be seen.

Photobucket

While keeping one’s eyes peeled for any good looking off-shoots.

SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 10:12 PM
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #212
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

HYder 2

There were a couple more good looking turnoffs that couldn't be resisted, one nice and tight through the trees.

Photobucket

And another a little bit sandy ending with a river.

Photobucket

It was nice, perhaps a bit short lived, but I had heard while back there was more to see so I kept on heading up the dead-end road.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #213
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Question

where in alaska did you find those scenery

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #214
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

I found it all over; everywhere I looked. Currently, in this report's time-line, Hyder Alaska.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #215
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

HYder, Pt 3

There were a couple good side roads, but there was more to see. One highlight is the enormous glacier, probably the main reason to go. There is not much in the little dot of a town, the stepchild of Stewart. It is always intriguing to think of how the politicians manage to draw these lines we have on our map. More-so the ones that are not also rivers, but this one seemed particularly arbitrary. The Americans, or maybe it was the Russians before us, did a pretty good job of gobbling up the beach-front property at any rate.

Either way, the glacier was amazing, however we Americans ended up with it.

Photobucket

Not amazing enough to actually get off the bike however, apparently.

Photobucket

Hopefully no one is getting sick of the cock-pit photos, but getting on and off can really cut into someone's riding time.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #216
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Hyder, Pt 4

Not too far after the glacier, there was a nice little tunnel.

Photobucket

But they later build a road around apparently, so the tunnel was skipped. The big rocks detoured the short-cut too.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #217
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

HYder Pt. 5

The road then got better and better, depending on your point of view I guess. It dropped down into the valley and there were quite a few short dead-ends to find. There seemed to still be some mining activity, actually there was a helicopter flying in some big equipment. It was pretty interesting to watch.

There were some gates across a couple of the paths and soon I found myself at this gargantuan thing.

Photobucket

Still not sure exactly what it is, maybe someone can fill in the blank. It almost looked left over from the communist era, or perhaps just premature?

Photobucket

Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #218
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

HYder Pt. 6

There was a little more to see, so after cruising around and actually getting off the bike for another picture, it was time to head back the way I came.

Photobucket

Looking at this again, I’m not quite sure at this point why saddlebags were necessary that day, one of the problems of procrastinating for two and a half years on a report or taking almost that long to get one done perhaps, but, anyways…

On the way up and out there was an awesome custom-built Overlander made from a 4WD Isuzu NPR with a log cabin built on the back. The mid 50's plus owners were calling Alaska home currently, and we chatted for a while. It is a shame that I didn't take a picture. He told me that he built a housing development and they are now retired, migrating north and south with the seasons. He custom built the log cabin all by hand and showed me in. As we were standing around, there was a rustle in the bushes and we stopped talking for a second.

We were on a wide pull-off, and it sloped down steeply. I peered over the ledge and there was a brown bear aka “grizzly” just 5 feet below, a big mangy one snacking on the blueberries. It moved around to the other side of the bush, and I wasn’t quick enough on the draw with the camera. It was a little too close of quarters too.

They retreated to the big silver screen of their Isuzu, no need for NatGeo, and I hopped on mine and hit play.
But soon after, I decided hit stop and snap another one of the same thing and again opting out of the shortcut, darn rocks.

Photobucket

Then hit play again and blasted up the dirt.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #219
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

HYder Pt. 7

Not too long after, there was the urge to pull over and it couldn't be resisted.

Photobucket

Just to simply take another picture of the same thing.

Photobucket

Then again, to say farewell to the Alaskan beach. A sad farewell, a sad, sad farewell. But the jig was up and it was time to head back down.

Photobucket

The girlfriend was flying into Seattle in a couple days so there was some deciding to do on were to ride on the way, in the meantime.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #220
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

The Twins

After Hyder, it was time to keep pounding out the klicks south. I rolled hard and just kept going anxious to get to the next riding destination. There was a sweet little short-cut up and over a little 2-lane dirt road. And in that case, I was almost glad I wasn’t on the bike because it was sloppy on top. The mud was so thick I had to pop it into four-wheel-drive.

I kept an eye peeled for any good looking side roads as I pounded south, and finally pulled into Whistler at about 8 at night. It had been a while and I felt like partying it up, so, I asked a few locals where the hot spot was. They said it was 80’s night a one of the bars and that was the place to be. I circled around, parked it up in the overnight lot for the ski area, made a little food, and set out to for the bars.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures but it was a riot. All the people seemed to be international, German, Swiss, Brazilian, Argentinean, all working at the resort. The dancing was awesome. I talked to a few Canadians, but not many. Resort towns are always fun to party in, but it didn’t smell like I thought it would that close to Vancouver and all. I shut down the bar and went to bed.

The next morning, the only question was where. There was an ATV rental outfit off a dirt side-road that looked like a promising place to start. It was a good bet and turned out well. There was bunch of steep and rocky two-tracks that wound around the hills. None going anywhere, some blocked off by the loggers, a perfect place to dick around on the bike for a while.

Photobucket

And the scenery wasn’t half bad either.

Photobucket

Not half bad at all.

Photobucket

It was too bad the twin peaks never came out from the clouds.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #221
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Baker

Whistler was a blast, but I still had a cooler full of fish and the dry ice was long gone. Driving through Vancouver sucked, the traffic was horrible. It was a huge change after all the time in the woods and reminded me of my dark days commuting to the DTC (cubicle hell aka Denver Tech Center). I got sick of it, told the rat to hop in the passenger’s seat and I hopped in the HOV lane. It was a good move too, I saved a ton of time. Not that you should do that sort of thing of course.

The boarder was quick and easy with the first grocery store as the next stop. After purchasing the deadly dry ice banned by our brothers in the north, it was time to decide where to rider for another day. The area around Mount Baker was the most logical area. Without knowing of anything in particular, I headed off on a side road and looked for a camp spot.

There was a nice pull-off across from a campground on a little road gated off by a logging company. I unloaded the bike, cooked up some food and called it a night.

The next day I headed out with no destination in mind. Just out to see what could be seen, taking little side-roads and off-shoots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was in no hurry, just loving life and the ride. I also found a little single line to check out, marked by this little sign (sorry about the blurry picture). After that I almost got stuck at the bottom of a slick little downhill. The rear tire I was using was not ideal and it took a try or two to make it back up. And after that there were plenty of other little side-roads to explore.

Photobucket

While pulling over to smell the roses here and there and stare at waterfalls too, but no chasing them mind you.

Photobucket

Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #222
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Baker (2)

There were some amazing vistas to be found.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And some cool mushrooms too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I picked a few of these ones, not the super choice type but easy to identify as safe. Just slice it in half, top to bottom, and make sure there is no mushroom pattern and just solid meat, tasty sautéed with some garlic and butter. I didn’t know anything about the other one though.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #223
jamesm417
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
trailering to alaska

I think that's great.

In spite of what people may think, the Alaska Hwy is suited for a K1200LT, or a BMW sports sedan.
If I could get my wife to agree to come along, I'd trailer my bike behind an RV!

Whatever it takes to make a good adventure is exactly what it takes.

It looks like you guys had a great time.
If I could, I'd do the same thing to get my wife to ride with me.

Jim
jamesm417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #224
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Thanks for reading!

jamesm417 - Thanks for commenting, I hear you, the Alaskan Highway not an ideal motorcycle road, way too few curves. The Cassiar would be better and I have glanced through a couple reports with some little dirt cut-offs to spice it up, but even then, great for a 1200BMW or a GoldWing.

It would have been cool to say I rode all the way up, riding is more economical if you only have a few weeks for your trip. But with all the time I had, it was way cheaper to drive the truck up. Even with 8-12 miles per gallon considering how expensive food and lodging is up there. You can only tent-camp so many nights in the rain. Plus smaller bike + smaller trails = more adventure in my book.

I would still love to ride up there one day though.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #225
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Baker (3)

The dirt roads kept leading to one amazing overlook after the next.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then looped back and it was time to check out some of the little turnoffs that were originally skipped.

Photobucket

Fun riding, but it was a good thing the mirrors were not too tight, they kept getting whacked by the branches and spinning around. As soon as they were straightened up and hand tightened back down, they spun back around.

Photobucket

Fun stuff but too short-lived.