Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Wow. Great photos!
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Who gives a shit if you rode all the way up or not? Looks like y'all had a hoot and I do believe from the photos the adventure ride wasnt fake. Theres no disgrace to a KLR riding a trailer. Goldwing is a different story though.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 465
Cowboy – Tina said: “aaaaaaw shucks”

Thanks! As for the red ones, I know them by the name of Amanita but it looks like they are basically different names for the same thing, but, eating that particular type was not quite the sort of adventure I was looking for. I have heard they are what Santa’s reindeer eat on Christmas Eve though. The cool thing about them is they grow by the boletus.

My parents have been getting into mushroom hunting and taught me how to identify some of the safe ones. If you are going to be up there anyways, it is pretty cool to find a little addition to dinner. I did eat the puffballs though, threw them in some spaghetti sauce. They are easy to identify, just cut them in half and make sure there are not any patterns in the meat, just consistent white:

Photobucket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffball

njd – Thank you kindly Sir!

perterra - If the bike comes with a radio it is definitely a different story, agreed.

I was also wondering if it is OK to wash a KLR?
Z_HARSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
The cool thing about Amanitas is they grow by the boletus.
Agreed! Poison or not, I consider Amanitas to be lucky, because they grow in the same conditions as King Boletes.

Mmmmmmm . . . .

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Mmmmmmmmm indeed!

The other good thing about the Amanitas is you can see them while flying down the road at 80. We found a bunch of Boletus up in Alaska but they all had slim stalks and most turned purple when you would scratch them, but we found some locals who said they were still good though.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Mmmmmmmmm indeed!

The other good thing about the Amanitas is you can see them while flying down the road at 80. We found a bunch of Boletus up in Alaska but they all had slim stalks and most turned purple when you would scratch them, but we found some locals who said they were still good though.
What you describe sound like some common some Boletus-looking mushrooms that go by a bunch of names, and are good to eat. They are are Leccinum species rather than Boletus, but a lot of people call them Aspen Boletes anyway. They are also known as scaber stalks, or red tops. They grow in the same conditions as King Boletes and Amanitas. Did they look like this?

You'll see where they get the name "aspen" boletes, because their stalks are black and white like aspen bark. Here's a comparison to show how similar they look to King Boletes (and how their colors are distincively different)

King Boletes (Boletus Edulis) on the left, aspen boletes (Leccinum Aurantiacum) on the right:

I'm fortunate that I can combine two of my favorite activities, dual sporting and mushrooming. I often ride slowly down the forest two-tracks, watching for those tell-tale colors of Boletes, Leccinum, and Amanita.

Cowboy screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 03:11 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

That is exactly why I took interest in mushrooms, I'm there anyways.

It was apparently an exceptionaly good year for mushroom hunting in Alaska last year and we deffinately saw more than one variety. I don't remember the black and white stalks, and some even had stalks that were half that wide, but it has been a while ago now.

I didn't take any pictures of them either, maybe the parents did; this is as close as I can find from mine, but if I remember correctly it had gills:

Photobucket

I took the picture for other reasons though.....
Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #23
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Up Through the Parks

You are going to have to bear with me for the next couple posts, they won’t be very motorcycle related. I apologize but I thought a couple of the pictures came out halfway decent so I’ve decided not to skip them…hope nobody minds…..but the subject matter will change back to where it belongs, I promise.

So….back to the point, well….maybe not, but anyways…..moving on:

We loaded up and headed out of Glacier, crossing at Roosville. It was a cinch, not quite as easy as Tecate, but that is a different story. With no one in line in front of us, he basically just asked if we had enough money to make it home and that was about it.

And then hello CAN-EH-DIA!

We took a family trip up through the Parks when I was a kid, all I remembered was that it rained for an entire month and there were a ton of cool waterfalls, deep canyons, and the like. But after going there again, things felt very familiar. I always compare mountains to Colorado, don’t get me wrong, the Canadian Rockies are beautiful, amazing, stunning….but really only seem to be one spine. They don’t feel like they go on forever in all directions like here. Not to take anything away from them of course….it was awesome driving through the parks.

It would have been nice to ride through but I don’t think we ever unloaded the bike. I wasn’t too upset because there didn’t seem to be much dirt to be found. Actually we must have, at one point we did load up 3-up on the bike to go hiking. Tina wanted to take the Rat-Dog hiking with us but National Parks are not too keen on letting the dogs on the trails for some reason.

Either way, our first stop was Radium Hot Springs. When we went last time, it was pretty new, clean, and had minimal sulfur smell. It is definitely a nice one but seems more like a regular swimming pool, although a full sized diving board is hard to beat.

After a couple hours at the pool, and some fun on the diving board, we headed on north. Just took our time and did the tourist thing (well, at least we weren’t on a bus):

Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
So many cool pictures. Alaska, This is one place I am going to visit this summer.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #25
MR.HOTROD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Great pics ... Thanks for sharing them and the trip with us. Looks like you guys had an amazing time, with fabulous weather to top it all off!!
MR.HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:

that looks familiar:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #27
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
Nice Pictures

Thanks for posting. Don't apologize about getting to Alaska via any means. Just keep putting up the pics.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #28
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Laugh

manshoon – Thanks a million! Have a blast; it is Amazing. Let me know f you have any questions.

MR.HOTROD – Thanks, glad you are enjoying it so far. We had a blast, amazing to say the least.
We got so lucky it is not every funny, when we got there all the locals were saying that it had rained for the last 40 or 50 days depending on who you asked.

Seth S – Nice work, thanks for sharing….it’s an awesome road, no doubt.

yellowknife - You are very welcome and you got it Sir .

.......I'll try to put something together for this evening, need to try to sell some insurance now......
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #29
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Your pictures are fantastic, your riding companion is cute, and your RR is a fantastic motivator for going on another trip. I miss the open road more so everyday.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #30
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Would you think less of me if I said yes?
No, I'd say,,,damn your good.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote