User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #76
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 424
Hatcher Pass by Bike

We pulled in that evening and tried to find a spot to camp. I think there may have been a sign saying something about no trailers, or maybe it was just an overall length, but either way they didn’t want the big campers up there. I figured I would be fine as we cruised up from the Palmer side. After getting over the top, we started back down and still couldn’t find anything decent for a pull-off so we turned around and went back down and settled for the little paved parking lot they made you pay to ‘camp’ at. It was what it was so we went to bed and went for a little ride the next day.

It was a nice easy ride, paved a good portion of the way up then turning into a slightly rough and potholed graded dirt road. I love mountain passes (obviously, that is kind of a dumb statement) but there was something different about this one. It did have nice tight corners though, meeting my 15 mph classification; or maybe it was 10 mph? Oh well.

It wasn’t like it is here in Colorado. I think it was the only bonafied mountain pass I hit on the bike in Alaska, sure, there is the one on the Denali Highway, but that is puny, and I didn’t actually ride Thompson Pass, but that is paved; but this one was different. Really, not anything particularly spectacular, like Imogene or Engineer here in CO, for riding other than it is not paved, no, but on the other hand its beauty was absolutely mind blowing beyond compare.

We made it most of the way out, at least to where it looked like we were about to get into houses and the road was just going to continue on straight. I pulled over and we took a little break and discussed our options. Looping around was not one, so we obviously turned around and did it again back the other way. But, we did need to figure out what we wanted to do for Tina’s last night in Alaska. That time at least.

Tina grew up in the restaurant business. Her love for food and culinary taste was on a level way beyond mine at first, when we started dating four years ago. For me, food is just something I need, like air and water, interrupting me from getting done what I need to get done. For her, food is life, it brings together the family, and it is the centerpiece of the most important part of the day. One thing that she really loves is Snow Crab, I had maybe had it once before I met her, but it is her favorite. Much juicier and flavorful than the King Crab she says. So back to Phyllis’s it was, after a short stop at the truck.

I have to admit it was a bit further into Anchorage than I had remembered, but it didn’t matter. We cruised the bike in and had a feast.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #77
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Hatcher Pass by Foot

Ok, I mentioned it was Tina’s Last day. She had issues registering for classes and her dad also needed help in the restaurant, so she decided the best thing to do was to fly back and take care of some business. That left with one last day together before I had to drop her off at the airport. She wanted to go hiking, so that is what we did.

I like climbing to the tops of mountains, not sure exactly why but that is my preferred type of hiking. My favorite thing is looking out over the valleys and watching the horizon roll on forever in all directions, so that was our plan. To find somewhere we can hike to the top of a mountain.

Naturally, we drove to the top of the pass. For some reason we decided to take the truck and not just the bike. Probably because we would have had to pay for another day of “camping” in the parking lot if we left the truck. But, when we got up there, we noticed they wanted you to pay to park at the top too. Again, not something I like doing if I don’t have to. So I turned around and found a spot to park just before the first sign designating the paid parking area. And, it just so happened that there was a steep path up the mountain directly in front of where we parked, perfect.

It also just so happened that my old man called me the night before while we were at dinner and they just so happened to be arriving in Tok, I told him our plan and they planned to come meet us.

Tina and I climbed up to the top in somewhat of a melancholy mood but determined to make the best of the last day of her Alaska trip, her first trip at least. The melancholy mood quickly melted away though, it is easy to see why.

We ate lunch while intermingling with the clouds, watched the rat dog run around while thinking a hobbit should pop out at any time. But, finally we decided to turn around. The trail kept going and dropped back down to the visitor’s center, historical sight, or whatever that tourist trap was at the start of the road, so we turned around and headed back down for the truck figuring the parents should be there by now.

By the time we got back down, they had looked around the pass a little bit and were parked next to us relaxing in their van after their long push from Denver, after a quick stop in Phoenix on the way up. My parents and I discussed our options and decided to meet on the Crow Creek road out of Girdwood that night, we had a day or two to kill before the little sis flew in. We hung out for a bit with them and then headed to the airport so Tina could catch her flight.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #78
D-Stylz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thumb Nice!

Phantastic Photos! Thanks for sharing.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - Anonymous
D-Stylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #79
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

D-Stylz, phank you kindly!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #80
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Hatcher Pass Video

Not sure, but I thought it might be worth posting. It gives you a better feel for the top of Hatcher Pass, well, a few hundred feet above Hatcher Pass I suppose.....

Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #81
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,183
Amazing Photos!!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #82
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

mikem9, thank you thank you thank you, they are not bad for a "cheap" camera, thanks for tuning in!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #83
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Well, I am sorry to say it, but I am going to make my last post on this one momentarily. I still have a ton of odds and ends to tie up before we head off for our honeymoon and I will probably not get back to this until after the first snow flies, especially if you live up there. Either way, I am about to put this one on pause, but first, I just want to say thank you to everyone that has checked this little report out. It has been a blast and the vast majority of the riding is yet to come, and I will get back to it.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #84
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

The End of the Beginning

We drove into Anchorage and made our way to the airport, I have to say I was pretty bummed out. I understood she had things to take care of and was OK with it, but at the same point I wished she would have been able to stay.

I dropped her off at Alaska Airlines and headed down the Turnagain Arm. It was getting to be that time of the day again, the time when the sky starts singing for an hour. It was another beautiful one, so I pulled over to watch it. I walked down buy the water and sat for a while.

Then I noticed the train was coming so I crossed back and whipped out my camera from its standard spot, the front pocket of my hiking pants (or riding pants). The train passed like a passageway into another chapter. It was somber, but I still had the Rat Dog with me and he is OK I guess. And, I still had my bike, or as Tina calls it, my other Asian.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #85
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,517
Absolutely beautiful

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #86
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

OK, back to reality. We had an awesome wedding; the food at the reception at New Saigon was amazing. Wes Webber, The original adventure riders (and bikes!) author and long time riding buddy did an awesome job on the wedding photography, at a great price - contactable through ADVrider

Now, we are back from our honeymoon, touring around the Balkans and Alps on my new and currently for sale (in Sofia) ’89 TransAlp 600. We did 7000 KMs and had a blast moving form mountains to beaches and back. My original plan was to do the Euro ride report live, finish it up and then come back to this. But, I quickly realized that live reports are great when you are traveling solo and there are many long lonely nights, but on a honeymoon it is hard to find the time and there are more important things to attend to.

So, I will finish what I started, then look at doing a Euro report. Thanks for hanging in there and thanks for reading, I will get a real post up here shortly.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #87
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Supa12 Pilot, thanks a million! I'm glad to have you reading.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #88
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

A Leisurely Hike and Afternoon Ride

The Rat Dog and I headed back to our go-to spot up by Girdwood to meet up with the parents after taking in the sunset by the train tracks.

The next morning I hung out with the parents and we headed into Girdwood and ate at The Bake Shop. It was a recommended stop in one of my mom’s books or magazines so we hunted it out. The food is excellent there and probably one of our favorite of the trip with a great breakfast menu. Then we went over to the Alyeska Ski Resort and hiked the little boardwalk trail towards the Crow Creek road on a little section of the historic Iditarod Trail. It was a little tame, compared to what I had grown accustom to in Alaska but that is how my mom likes it. Then the path descended to the river and there was a cool little box cart big enough for a couple people to pull themselves across the river.

Then after the little hike, I decided to go for a short 200 mile afternoon ride down to Hope to poke around. It was just the next town down off the turnoff, but in Alaska nothing is close. Well, that is maybe not exactly it, instead, the definition of close is just different. I probably should have taken more pictures in Hope but I was having too much fun riding, I found this little dirt cutoff threw the woods and rode it a couple times, and cranked it on up and back on the 20 mile or so dirt road that ends in a hiking trail. It was a good ride and I was a little concerned about running out of gas on the way back.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #89
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Crow Pass with the Rat Dog (Part 1)

The next day, the Rat and I decided to go for a hike since I had already ridden most all the roads in the near vicinity and I needed to stick close to pick up the sis that evening. The Rat is actually a more experienced hiker than myself, believe it or not. I have yet to bag a 14er, not something to be extremely proud of as a native Coloradoan, but I guess I was just too busy riding dirtbikes at 12,000 ft instead. The Rat on the other hand, has bagged two 14ers. The hawks were even circling him at one point and he just stared back, squinted his eyes, and showed them his under-bight.

Photobucket

We drove up to the end of the road and started hiking up that morning. It is a popular route that people backpack on 2-3 day hikes with huts in the middle at 24 miles total (one way) ending near Eagle River. The Rat and I were keeping a good pace and we passed quite a few backpackers and hikers on the way up. You could take either a few switchbacks and then a shelf trail or an alternate route by the creek and waterfall. We took the switchbacks and shelf, figuring that it would be the quickest way to the pass.

Part of the way up it came out to a little pond and a hut or 2. We stopped for a bite to eat, snacking on the beef jerky I brought along (for me, not the Rat mind you) and took a short rest by the lake, then headed out. Nothing caught my eye enough to take a picture, so we headed on. We had to zigzag back and forth across a tiny little stream and finally we made the pass, what I was shooting for.

After I snapped a quick picture of the sign, I looked around trying to figure out what to do next. Not too excited about continuing on, I spotted something off to the right. A little further, up the trail and across the bolder field, I saw a glowing blue glacier, just sitting there begging us to come visit. There was no trail, but heck, this is Alaska so no trails necessary so we set off to investigate.

The going was a bit tough, hopping from boulder to boulder. There were a couple little cliffs in the way that we had to navigate around, but soon we were there.

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 08:19 AM
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #90
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Crow Pass with the Rat Dog (Part 2)

With the cloudy sky, the glaciers were a brilliant blue. It is crazy how much the color changes with the sun. The Rat and I just stood there, in awe of the ancient ice, dripping, cracking and crumbling before us.

We would have hung out there longer, but a German couple saw us and decided to come take a closer look at the glacier too. It kind of diminished the serenity though, so we headed back down.