User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,551
a useless helix rant

Will I know I m a whining bitch but now I ve got real issues with my helix due to a bad tire change. They left the axle bolt off. Because the swing arm bolts on the engine I didn't see it for 3 days. The first sign was strange sound but I though gee the At least it's just a bearing and easy fix. I put a new nut on the alxe. Now Fast forward to 3 months of riding and the lower hole which the swing arm bolts to as snapped in half. The upper hole is stripped out . I found this out today so I walking around like whining little bitch pretending that someone gives a dam. . anyway that s my usless helix rant. Shit I could have got drunk for month on what this is going to cost me.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
That Sucks big Time!

That's also the reason I do my own work, not because I want to half the time, but because I want it done right the first time.

Also so if I do f it up, I can only blame myself.

Good luck with the repairs
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
That SUCKS! I found a crack in the lower boss (swingarm mount on crankcase cover) on my 1986 Elite 150 AFTER I bought the bike and about $500 in parts. I had two options; replace the crankcase half, or pay my neighbor $60 to weld it (he welds aluminum). I chose the $60 fix, and it worked out. You might have similar luck, but I would recommend just replacing the crankcase half, since they are easy to find, and you'll get to replace all those leaky gaskets in the process! Did you change the tire yourself, or did a shop do this? You might be able to hold them liable...
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
That does suck!

I agree with Sportsman Matt, a tire change is a very simple job. If you take the tire off and bring them the old tire and rim and new tire, they'll mount and balance it very cheap compared to bringing the whole bike.

Some of these motorcycle repair shop mechanics do a half-ass job. Most do good but you know some just don't.

Good luck getting it repaired.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
fullmetalscooter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
That SUCKS! I found a crack in the lower boss (swingarm mount on crankcase cover) on my 1986 Elite 150 AFTER I bought the bike and about $500 in parts. I had two options; replace the crankcase half, or pay my neighbor $60 to weld it (he welds aluminum). I chose the $60 fix, and it worked out. You might have similar luck, but I would recommend just replacing the crankcase half, since they are easy to find, and you'll get to replace all those leaky gaskets in the process! Did you change the tire yourself, or did a shop do this? You might be able to hold them liable...

the shop is liable . As to the damage It's not just this broken case, I ve know since it happen that the trans bearing need to be replaced. there cheap 30 bucks. Anyone got an Idea what a use crankcase cost? I know I m going to drop the engine to do the work. I going to have to replace the hanger bushings . Then get this wield up and have him thread up (tap) the holes. It's life . Someone give me a beer with a joint
Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

The right crankcase half sells new (beaver dam honda, online sales) for $153+shipping, which would take care of your broken bosses. Are you going to fix it, then send a bill to the shop?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter OP

Really is it worth the emotion and time? 300 bucks to 500 and you spent 8 hours of your life to get it back? Doesn't madder if you win because they might not pay up. Then you ve got to chase them? I thinking of not bothering and just live my life.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Black Sheep Radical
Fusionista

Oddometer: 94
Give them the chance to do the right thing and if they don't, it's name and shame time.
Black Sheep Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Most (reputable) shops are insured for this sort of thing... at least, I know automotive shops are... I would get them for a new crankcase, any damaged components, and incidentals (gaskets, fluids, bolts, etc), PLUS some labor compensation at a normal shop rate. These guys screwed up your ride, and they must pay. Period. If this happened to me, I'd bring it to a legitimate Honda shop (a different one), and send them the bill.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
watch out for motorcycle shops that switch parts, they will remove a perfectly good part from your scoot and install a past failed part, then they will sell you that part they took off your scoot as a new part.

don't buy batteries from motorcycle shop unless it comes in a sealed box with a container of acid that needs poured in.
motorcycle shops will take the used , bad batteries that customers bring in for exchange, they will clean up and charge those batteries and sell them as new.

chalk it up to past experiences, motorcycle dealerships are owned buy low life, past failure business men that are in business for rip off, high profit and short term. (they don't care if they rip you off cause they wasn't planning on owning that business for a long time.)
if they can't rip you off, or if you outsmart them, they don't want to do business with you.
always keep that in mind, you local friendly scooter dealer isn't your friend!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
watch out for motorcycle shops that switch parts, they will remove a perfectly good part from your scoot and install a past failed part, then they will sell you that part they took off your scoot as a new part.

don't buy batteries from motorcycle shop unless it comes in a sealed box with a container of acid that needs poured in.
motorcycle shops will take the used , bad batteries that customers bring in for exchange, they will clean up and charge those batteries and sell them as new.

chalk it up to past experiences, motorcycle dealerships are owned buy low life, past failure business men that are in business for rip off, high profit and short term. (they don't care if they rip you off cause they wasn't planning on owning that business for a long time.)
if they can't rip you off, or if you outsmart them, they don't want to do business with you.
always keep that in mind, you local friendly scooter dealer isn't your friend!

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
fullmetalscooter OP

Lets just say this the http://motomethod.com/Welcome.html in vancouver bc isn't the type of place to do anything about it. I joined up because they let you use there shop for 25 bucks on hour. It's full serve / diy shop. Tire changes are suppose to be free once you join up . I got dinged 80 bucks more because that how long it took him to fit an old tire. I got my fee for joining back off them. Left some messages on local forums about them. Thought about buying up the .net .ca . org etc version of there name and post my story about them online. But it's not worth my time . The older I get the more I just say screw it about small shit. There s Taxes to deal with. Then Death and Once a year having a doctor stick what feels like a baseball bat size finger up your ass to cheek your prostate.