Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #361
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Finished the add-on mount for the Pacemaker and now I'm ready for some early morning testing in a couple of days. Thanks HDB Paul for helping me get this far with a setup and everyone else I've been pinging for input.

Where did you get that ODO?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #362
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
So Ive started my JVO inspired nav tower project and am looking for advice. I designed a mounting block and backing plates and had them cut from 5000 series aluminium. Backing plates run inside the tube and have been drilled and tapped for 8mm bolts. There is 1mm rubber between the parts and the bike frame.

My questions at this point are:
- am i asking for trouble using aluminium for the backing plates (will the threads hold or should i have used steel)?
- will the stainless bolts seize or cause galvonic corrosion in the aluminium? Should i use loctite/anti seize of some sort?

Next question is can i used countersunk bolts in 3mm sheet aluminium or is it too thin?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Gany,

I think the aluminium backing plates will be fine, anything over 2 x the dia of the bolt in thread depth (16mm in your case) will be plenty with that alloy. You can also think of it like this; that alloy has roughly half the yeild strength of the steel in a nut so double the thread depth of a nut and you'll be right.

Use either loctite or anti-seize (buy a big jar of this), I use either on anything except fairing/bodywork bolts. It depends how often you'll be taking it on and off.

You know what happened to my 3mm sheet tower! But like I said I think it was mosrtly my fault due to the bends I did and it not being supported well.

Cheers mate.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #363
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
So Ive started my JVO inspired nav tower project and am looking for advice. I designed a mounting block and backing plates and had them cut from 5000 series aluminium. Backing plates run inside the tube and have been drilled and tapped for 8mm bolts. There is 1mm rubber between the parts and the bike frame.

My questions at this point are:
- am i asking for trouble using aluminium for the backing plates (will the threads hold or should i have used steel)?
- will the stainless bolts seize or cause galvonic corrosion in the aluminium? Should i use loctite/anti seize of some sort?

Next question is can i used countersunk bolts in 3mm sheet aluminium or is it too thin?

Thanks in advance.
Looks good gany. Are you going to run the side plates flush with the rear of the mount? If so is there enough space between the bolts and the forward mount to fit?

The parts look well built, nice design.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #364
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Thats the plan. Ive had to notch the plates to allow for the bolt heads. Will find out whether it fits or not when the parts are cut!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #365
Tomaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
F2R power plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
[...]
1) Does anyone know where I can source the power plugs on the F2R?

Sorry for the delay, Pilo, I only notice this post today.
F2R RB730 cables and plugs are provided by LOCATIS, a portuguese company.
You can contact José Ramos. I believe he will help you.
Tomaz Pessanha
F2R
Tomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #366
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Durability of the proto-type can be improved by beefing up the plate thickness if found to be needed but my concern would be more in the lack of any flexibility in the mount both for durability and safety. I would prefer a design that can rotate or pivot in order to help prevent crash damage to the unit as well as add safety for the rider.
Agree very much with all Bill's comments, especially re: odo being above the roadbook. The ODO is absolutely critical to keep up with moment by moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
And here I believe it is that Bill has struck on a theme that is pivotal (haha ) to this discussion...
Also agree very much with Troy's comments re: positioning and simplicity.

Awesome to see people all over the world hard at work on this stuff! At some point, we'll have to organize a way to make and share roadbooks with one another.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #367
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Where did you get that ODO?
That really cool ODO.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #368
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Awesome to see people all over the world hard at work on this stuff! At some point, we'll have to organize a way to make and share roadbooks with one another.

I had thought about asking that. I've been given the impression that roadbooks are earned, not given. Like the Marines.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #369
Locker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hey Jeremy, I promise, no "band camp" jokes!
Locker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #370
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I had thought about asking that. I've been given the impression that roadbooks are earned, not given. Like the Marines.
Drop and give me twenty songs on the recorder I'm making a few routes this summer and I'm happy to share if you ever make it up to VT
Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #371
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
At some point, we'll have to organize a way to make and share roadbooks with one another.
That's in the works. I'm assisting someone who is developing a new roadbook creation tool (software) and associated website that should significantly simplify the process. It’s basically an advancement on the Google Earth approach I've been using to create roadbooks. Not sure how long it will be before something is ready to try, but from what I've been hearing of the plans, it's a tool that I'd love to have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I've been given the impression that roadbooks are earned, not given. Like the Marines.
If you're in this thread, you've already earned half the points you need!
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #372
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
That's in the works. I'm assisting someone who is developing a new roadbook creation tool (software) and associated website that should significantly simplify the process. It’s basically an advancement on the Google Earth approach I've been using to create roadbooks. Not sure how long it will be before something is ready to try, but from what I've been hearing of the plans, it's a tool that I'd love to have!
Software that allows you to use a tablet would be really cool. All the routes I've done, I had a notebook and a pen. I would stop and write the mileages down at intersections and hand draw the tulips. Took forever but I had fun.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #373
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Software that allows you to use a tablet would be really cool. All the routes I've done, I had a notebook and a pen. I would stop and write the mileages down at intersections and hand draw the tulips. Took forever but I had fun.
what about a GPS and a vid camera..... you could make the roadbook on your time, not the ride.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #374
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker43 View Post
Hey Jeremy, I promise, no "band camp" jokes!
Quote:
Drop and give me twenty songs on the recorder I'm making a few routes this summer and I'm happy to share if you ever make it up to VT
Mike, now you figure out how to use a computer huh??

Why you guys gotta bring up old S.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #375
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,579
Tripy

Quote:
. At some point, we'll have to organize a way to make and share roadbooks with one another.
Its already done just need to get Tripy to get maps for all other countries outside of Europe.

I was very inmpressed with the way the Tripy worked for support crews at Dakar.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote