ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Trip planning PDX to anacortes

So, I want to go to Trawlerfest in Anacortes in a couple of weeks and REALLY don't want to ride up I-5. Is there a website a person can go to to plan a route to download to my Garmin? This is probably a dumb question, but when I did a google search I really didn't get much help.
OR, should I just plan the trip on the Garmin from way point to way point?

Thanks!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
So, I want to go to Trawlerfest in Anacortes in a couple of weeks and REALLY don't want to ride up I-5. Is there a website a person can go to to plan a route to download to my Garmin? This is probably a dumb question, but when I did a google search I really didn't get much help.

Thanks!
I've never heard of any route planning other than Google Maps (adding waypoints to guide it). Plus Mapsource of course. Curious on answers here.

Are you asking about dirt or pavement? Ask as I'm looking for dirt routes West of I5 (Longview->Shelton) as I have to make a couple trips to Key Center this summer.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I've never heard of any route planning other than Google Maps (adding waypoints to guide it). Plus Mapsource of course. Curious on answers here.

Are you asking about dirt or pavement? Ask as I'm looking for dirt routes West of I5 (Longview->Shelton) as I have to make a couple trips to Key Center this summer.
Dirt would be great, but just anything but a major highway I can live with
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Dirt would be great, but just anything but a major highway I can live with
Pavement wise (if you look at the maps) there isn't a lot of North/South routes and the usual Cougar/Randall path is closed till probably end June. When I was in your situation wanting to get to S/Puget Sound I basically rode up 101. Either from Astoria or Hwy 6 Vader-Raymond and hooked up with 101 there, then cut back in. You could ride 101 from Shelton North towards Port Towsend (thats an ok ride) and then take the ferry over to the mainland/Anacortes.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Pavement wise (if you look at the maps) there isn't a lot of North/South routes and the usual Cougar/Randall path is closed till probably end June. When I was in your situation wanting to get to S/Puget Sound I basically rode up 101. Either from Astoria or Hwy 6 Vader-Raymond and hooked up with 101 there, then cut back in. You could ride 101 from Shelton North towards Port Towsend (thats an ok ride) and then take the ferry over to the mainland/Anacortes.

I've been this route this time of year, and it is a good M/C shortcut. It's not less time, but it's far more fun on a bike. It's probably easiest to go clear to PT and cross the ferry to Keystone, then up Whidbey. There's even back ways up Whidbey if you like. I doubt you'll find much open this early in the way of dirt roads, most of which lead to elelvation, and snowpack this time of year.
An aside, I used to work for Nordic Tugs, which should be prominent at Trawler Fest. It'd be fun to go and see lots of old acquaintances, but I have other plans that weekend.
Enjoy!

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Arzach
never too old...

Oddometer: 308
Quote:

Thanks!
I would guess you probably have a place to stay in Anacortes but if you do not you can pm me .
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Here's a route to consider....

In good weather you might go out to Westport on 30, take the ferry to Cathlamet and out 12 to 101 and Raymond. In bad weather it will be better to motor up to Castle Rock and take 411 to Vader and 506 to Wildwood Rd. Wildwood Rd will give a nice bucolic ride to Boisfort and the McDonald/Pe Ell rd to Pe Ell. From there take 6 to Raymond and North on 101 a couple of miles to Butte Creek rd, Smith Crk rd, Brooklyn and on to Oakville. From Oakville it's NW on 12 to Elma or East to Rochester to pick up the Littlerock, Wadell and Mckenzie roads to Mud Bay West of Olympia on 101. If you go to Elma you can go North on Cloquallum Rd to Shelton or take the Camilche Cutoff from McCleary to just South of Shelton on 101. Check local sources for snow on the Brooklyn/Oakville Rd. From Boisfort you can travel North to Curtis Hill Rd and Adna to pick up the Bunker Creek and Michigan Hill roads to Rochester. I have good friends in Wildwood, a sister in PDX and a loathing of the freeway. PM me if you need to stay in Port Townsend. Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,234
Listen to DD re: Oly Peninsula routes. He's the Obi of info.
Have fun at Trawler Fest. I had to work it too many times to go on purpose.
PM me if you have any need of marine contacts in Anacortes area as I was in that biz there for 30 something years. Spam off.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzach View Post
I would guess you probably have a place to stay in Anacortes but if you do not you can pm me .
I don't have a place to stay as of yet. I was going to "wing" it. Thank you very much for the offer!!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
Listen to DD re: Oly Peninsula routes. He's the Obi of info.
Have fun at Trawler Fest. I had to work it too many times to go on purpose.
PM me if you have any need of marine contacts in Anacortes area as I was in that biz there for 30 something years. Spam off.
I would LOVE to be in the marine industry.......I think. I have an old woodie GB and love trawlers.....
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Yaki-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:

Thanks!
You might want to check this site: http://ridewithgps.com/
where a route can be planned, see elevations, distances and download to your gps.
Yaki-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
I don't have a place to stay as of yet. I was going to "wing" it. Thank you very much for the offer!!!
There is a nice county park in Anacortes with very nice amenities and camping. (http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...n-us&FORM=LLDP) There is also Deception Pass state park if you can get in (fills up fast). I stayed at Fort Ebby near Penn cove. Very nice place, private spots amenities were alright, old but clean. The Facilities at Anacortes were nicer... shower/shitter/sink in one room, lockable doors, super clean. If you get the chance ride up to the top of Mt Erie. Nice one lane twisty road, with an outstanding view of the islands and Strait.

Quote:
. When I was in your situation wanting to get to S/Puget Sound I basically rode up 101. Either from Astoria or Hwy 6 Vader-Raymond and hooked up with 101 there, then cut back in. You could ride 101 from Shelton North towards Port Towsend (thats an ok ride) and then take the ferry over to the mainland/Anacortes.
Took this same route last year after Wetfest. Good ride. Went past the turnoff for Port Townsend and took the long way around to through Port Gamble. Took the Edmonds ferry and rode up 99 to the Mukilteo/Clinton ferry, then up to Oak Harbor. I think the Port Townsend Keystone route would be better as you avoid the mess that is Edmonds/ Everett. I like that area near Shelton (Grapeview?) nice place. Salt and sea smells do good things to my soul. I might have to go take a look at this "Trawler Fest" you speak of.
-Peterman-

Smellyhound screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 10:28 AM
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
sirloynz
Puny Human

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
There is a nice county park in Anacortes with very nice amenities and camping.
http://www.cityofanacortes.org/Parks/WaPark/wa_park.htm
Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
sirloynz
Puny Human

Oddometer: 1,095
http://www.anacortes.org/ has a list of available lodging. The best place to stay would be in old town off Commercial Ave., between 12th and 1st (red). Most of the good restaurants are in that area. Safeway is on the corner of Commercial & 12th and open 24 hours.

sirloynz screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 11:43 AM
sirloynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
calamari_kid
Ootmik

Oddometer: 118
As for getting a route onto your Garmin, you can make a route in Google maps and use this tool, GMap to GPX, to covert it to a gpx file which can be downloaded to the Garmin. I also have a gpx file for a back roads route I use between Olympia and Kelso/Longview. Shoot me a pm with your email addy and I'll send it on over.

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson
calamari_kid is offline   Reply With Quote