ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Tacoma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 233
Best selling Scooters in Italy?

What are the top 3 or 5 best selling scooters in Italy?
The Italians own a lot of scooters almost everybody owns one
The Italians know scooters better than anybody, so in my view they are the experts and judging by sales figures that gives us the best.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!
 
ONYERBIKE's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 356
Apparently, the Honda SH300i is a big seller in Italy
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Ngorongoro
boon
 
Ngorongoro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The crater so nice, they named it twice.
Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
What are the top 3 or 5 best selling scooters in Italy?
The Italians own a lot of scooters almost everybody owns one
The Italians know scooters better than anybody, so in my view they are the experts and judging by sales figures that gives us the best.
Data quoted from this thread in Road Warriors. 2011 stats there as well:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649206

Classifica Top 100 Gen-Dic 2010 - Scooter

001 HONDA ITALIA SH 300 Scooter 13.957
002 HONDA ITALIA SH 150 Scooter 10.661
003 HONDA ITALIA SH 125 Scooter 10.088
004 PIAGGIO BEVERLY 300 TOURER Scooter 9.932
005 YAMAHA XMAX 250 Scooter 9.692
006 YAMAHA TMAX 500 Scooter 8.663
007 PIAGGIO LIBERTY 125 RST Scooter 7.361
008 PIAGGIO VESPA GTS 300 SUPER Scooter 7.047
009 KYMCO AGILITY 125 R16 Scooter 6.534
010 PIAGGIO BEVERLY 300 Scooter 6.239
011 KYMCO DOWNTOWN 300 Scooter 5.599
012 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 125 Scooter 5.065
013 YAMAHA X-CITY 250 Scooter 4.931
014 HONDA SW-T 400 Scooter 4.199
015 KYMCO AGILITY 150 R16 Scooter 3.684
016 KYMCO XCITING R 300 I Scooter 3.396
017 YAMAHA MAJESTY 400 Scooter 3.374
018 PIAGGIO LIBERTY 150 RST Scooter 3.050
019 SUZUKI AN 400 BURGMAN Scooter 2.756
020 LML NV 150 Scooter 2.646
021 APRILIA SCARABEO 200 I.E. Scooter 2.556
022 KYMCO LIKE 125 Scooter 2.496
023 APRILIA SCARABEO 125 I.E. Scooter 2.268
024 HONDA PCX 125 Scooter 2.045
025 KYMCO PEOPLE S 200 Scooter 2.002
026 SYM SYMPHONY 125 Scooter 1.903
027 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 150 Scooter 1.859
028 APRILIA SCARABEO 300 Scooter 1.760
029 APRILIA SCARABEO 100 4T Scooter 1.733
030 SUZUKI SIXTEEN 150 Scooter 1.712

And here are the number of 50cc scooters:

Classifica Top 100 Gen-Dic 2010 - Ciclomotori 50cc

001 PIAGGIO LIBERTY 50 RST 4T Scooter 5.354
002 APRILIA SCARABEO 50 2T Scooter 5.255
003 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 50 4V 4T Scooter 4.913
004 MALAGUTI PHANTOM F12 LC Scooter 3.439
005 YAMAHA AEROX Scooter 3.250
006 APRILIA SCARABEO 50 4T 4V Scooter 2.959
007 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 50 Scooter 2.619
008 PIAGGIO NRG POWER DD Scooter 2.265
009 KYMCO AGILITY 50 R16 Scooter 2.148
010 APRILIA SR 50 R Scooter 2.138
__________________
...riding makes one alert, pulls us out of our thoughts, and engages us in something bigger than ourselves." - Bonneville54

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T. E. Lawrence
Ngorongoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Tacoma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngorongoro View Post
Data quoted from this thread in Road Warriors. 2011 stats there as well:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649206

Classifica Top 100 Gen-Dic 2010 - Scooter

001 HONDA ITALIA SH 300 Scooter 13.957
002 HONDA ITALIA SH 150 Scooter 10.661
003 HONDA ITALIA SH 125 Scooter 10.088
004 PIAGGIO BEVERLY 300 TOURER Scooter 9.932
005 YAMAHA XMAX 250 Scooter 9.692
006 YAMAHA TMAX 500 Scooter 8.663
007 PIAGGIO LIBERTY 125 RST Scooter 7.361
008 PIAGGIO VESPA GTS 300 SUPER Scooter 7.047
009 KYMCO AGILITY 125 R16 Scooter 6.534
010 PIAGGIO BEVERLY 300 Scooter 6.239
011 KYMCO DOWNTOWN 300 Scooter 5.599
012 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 125 Scooter 5.065
013 YAMAHA X-CITY 250 Scooter 4.931
014 HONDA SW-T 400 Scooter 4.199
015 KYMCO AGILITY 150 R16 Scooter 3.684
016 KYMCO XCITING R 300 I Scooter 3.396
017 YAMAHA MAJESTY 400 Scooter 3.374
018 PIAGGIO LIBERTY 150 RST Scooter 3.050
019 SUZUKI AN 400 BURGMAN Scooter 2.756
020 LML NV 150 Scooter 2.646
021 APRILIA SCARABEO 200 I.E. Scooter 2.556
022 KYMCO LIKE 125 Scooter 2.496
023 APRILIA SCARABEO 125 I.E. Scooter 2.268
024 HONDA PCX 125 Scooter 2.045
025 KYMCO PEOPLE S 200 Scooter 2.002
026 SYM SYMPHONY 125 Scooter 1.903
027 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 150 Scooter 1.859
028 APRILIA SCARABEO 300 Scooter 1.760
029 APRILIA SCARABEO 100 4T Scooter 1.733
030 SUZUKI SIXTEEN 150 Scooter 1.712

And here are the number of 50cc scooters:

Classifica Top 100 Gen-Dic 2010 - Ciclomotori 50cc

001 PIAGGIO LIBERTY 50 RST 4T Scooter 5.354
002 APRILIA SCARABEO 50 2T Scooter 5.255
003 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 50 4V 4T Scooter 4.913
004 MALAGUTI PHANTOM F12 LC Scooter 3.439
005 YAMAHA AEROX Scooter 3.250
006 APRILIA SCARABEO 50 4T 4V Scooter 2.959
007 PIAGGIO VESPA LX 50 Scooter 2.619
008 PIAGGIO NRG POWER DD Scooter 2.265
009 KYMCO AGILITY 50 R16 Scooter 2.148
010 APRILIA SR 50 R Scooter 2.138
I am amazed that the majority of the top 10 are Japanese Scooters, and not Italian made scooters.
The Italian scooters go for style over substance the same way Harley Davidson does it in the U.S. with motorcycles. It amazes me how these manufactures miss it and doesn't understand what the consumer wants even when the sales figures stare them in the face!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
btcn
Beastly Adventurer
 
btcn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Morgan Hill CA
Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I am amazed that the majority of the top 10 are Japanese Scooters, and not Italian made scooters.
The Italian scooters go for style over substance the same way Harley Davidson does it in the U.S. with motorcycles. It amazes me how these manufactures miss it and doesn't understand what the consumer wants even when the sales figures stare them in the face!

Yea I'm surprised as well. Your also right on Vespa kind of being the "Harley" of scooters. But if you think about it, theres a lot more Japanese bikes here in America than Harleys. Although the reasons for that aren't exactly the same.

Vespas are expensive here, I don't know about there but maybe their cheaper for them by a lot then the Vespas? Because here Vespa's 150 is the same as Honda's SH was.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
seraph
asshole on a scooter
 
seraph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 291
As I recall the Hondas are Italian designed and built, so they're less Japanese than they seem.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW La. (USA)
Oddometer: 312
Sh150i

Howdy,

I'd read that Honda's Sh150i was Italy's top-selling scooter. Looks like my bike has been dethroned.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alphaBETAdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central Arizona
Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

I'd read that Honda's Sh150i was Italy's top-selling scooter. Looks like my bike has been dethroned.
Just by it's big brother - that ain't bad!
__________________
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650
'08 Beta 450 RS
'12 Kymco Gti300, '03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Tacoma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 233
I remember last year when I was at a dealer looking at the new Piaggio MP3-500, the OTD price was $9600, the dealer was stuck up and felt I wasn't worthy to own one, I simply asked what makes it better than the Burgman, Silver Wing, and Tmax that I have to pay much more money for it?
The Dealer said "STYLE"!!!! he said look at all the attention I would get by being seen on one!
So?? I asked I pay more cause it has style?
He said : Yes!
I told him I want both! I want substance and style at the same time, the dealer told me no scooter has both!

No test ride, I was not worthy to own one!

These Italian motorcycle-scooter dealers just want high class customers, they expect you to pull up in an expensive car dressed in an Amarti suit, I can't understand how they can do business that way when they only go after a certain type of customer, and with the economy tight and people more careful spending their money, it just amazes me!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi
 
JerseyBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,883
I may have it wrong but my understanding is Honda USA is a separate company from Honda in Japan. Further, it is my understanding that of all the 2 wheel products made by Honda Japan, Honda USA chooses what products to carry in the USA.

Now, if that is the basic concept - I am amazed that Honda USA, after having dropped all its 250 scoots, did not bring over BOTH the SH 150 AND the SH 300.

How do you not bring over the #1 selling scoot in Italy and I believe all of Europe?
__________________
For Sale - 2014 CTX
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW La. (USA)
Oddometer: 312
Just let gas hit say..$4.50 and watch the Sh300i

Howdy,

If gas remains over $4 nationally for another year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Honda announce a 250-300cc bike for the U.S; especially if it's made in Asia, for lower cost-like a 250/300cc PCX for example.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
btcn
Beastly Adventurer
 
btcn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Morgan Hill CA
Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

If gas remains over $4 nationally for another year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Honda announce a 250-300cc bike for the U.S; especially if it's made in Asia, for lower cost-like a 250/300cc PCX for example.

Thats if Honda really gave a damn about the US motorcycle/scooter Market.

There attitude is why should they go out of their way to sell a few more scooters to Americans, when they can continue selling us a nearly unlimited amount of Civics and Accords and sell us a few bikes and get their money? Italy obviously keeps their scooter buisness satisfied.

Honda just doesn't seem to care about the scooter market a whole lot. They didn't even attempt to lower the SH150i's price or make it cheaper, they just said well if you guys don't want it then you ain't gettin it! And cut it.

I would LOVE to see Honda give us an awesome 250 cc or 300 cc scooter. But A there isn't much of a chance of it happening and B it would be priced much higher than Kymco's multiple 250 and 300 class scoots, so it wouldn't sell that great.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Tacoma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Thats if Honda really gave a damn about the US motorcycle/scooter Market.

There attitude is why should they go out of their way to sell a few more scooters to Americans, when they can continue selling us a nearly unlimited amount of Civics and Accords and sell us a few bikes and get their money? Italy obviously keeps their scooter buisness satisfied.

Honda just doesn't seem to care about the scooter market a whole lot. They didn't even attempt to lower the SH150i's price or make it cheaper, they just said well if you guys don't want it then you ain't gettin it! And cut it.

I would LOVE to see Honda give us an awesome 250 cc or 300 cc scooter. But A there isn't much of a chance of it happening and B it would be priced much higher than Kymco's multiple 250 and 300 class scoots, so it wouldn't sell that great.
They want to limit their scooter sales cause they are not their top high profit product. Honda makes the money on their big bikes. Thats why dealers treat you like dirt when you walk in and look at the scooters instead of the $10K big bikes.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I may have it wrong but my understanding is Honda USA is a separate company from Honda in Japan. Further, it is my understanding that of all the 2 wheel products made by Honda Japan, Honda USA chooses what products to carry in the USA.

Now, if that is the basic concept - I am amazed that Honda USA, after having dropped all its 250 scoots, did not bring over BOTH the SH 150 AND the SH 300.

How do you not bring over the #1 selling scoot in Italy and I believe all of Europe?

My understanding of this situation is that the SH scoots are made in Italy and that the conversion rates are very unfavorable to bring them to the US. That is why the SH150 is priced rather high for its CC's.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Tacoma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 233
I didn't know they were made in Italy, I should have known that Honda also makes the former 699 and 919 street bikes there also, they most likely use the same factory.
Thats the scooter capital of the world, so I figure they know the best and the worst, and it makes me feel good that my Tmax is very popular in Italy

( i get so much grief for owning a Tmax, its my way of searching to find anything good about the Tmax)
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014