User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
vortexau OP
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
BMW cunning on helmet storage

I just read a report on the forthcoming big BMW scooter offering for 2012 release (based on their Concept C) and details were shown of a novel solution to the 'helmet storage space under rear seat causes seat to be mounted high' problem.

If this is true, BMW plan to have a shallow storage bay under the passenger seat- but with a stretching base (or swing-down pan) that drops lower when the machine is parked to allow a fullface helmet to fit. The article suggests that there is an interlock preventing the engine from functioning with that bay stretched down.

Looks like only 40% rear storage capacity when riding, but the passenger sits lower than a passenger on -say- a Burgman 650 which is a direct sales competitor.

(from http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/bmw-scooter-spied-testing-in-munich/17560.html )
Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
thats old news, and been discussed on other threads, though the final production model may have something completely different for the underseat storage or a variation on the theme. there's also discussion on the rear view camera pods and LCD screens versus mirrors etc. Nothing confirmed until the first production run approaches... still if the underseat has some kind of built in expansion that can be used while parked, then that aint all that bad.
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,866
Might be old news other places but it's new to me.

Thanks for that post Vortexau! Interesting but seems a bit complicated. Also, if it fails while riding would the storage hit the tire?

Saw a post that the scoot could be in the mid teens! Will be interesting to see what actually is made.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Might be old news other places but it's new to me.

Thanks for that post Vortexau! Interesting but seems a bit complicated. Also, if it fails while riding would the storage hit the tire?

Saw a post that the scoot could be in the mid teens! Will be interesting to see what actually is made.
Mid Teens? you mean 15 THOUSAND? like in $15,000 DOLLARS?
W-O-W count me out!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Interesting but seems a bit complicated.
Of course it is, this is BMW after all. "interesting but complicated" is their design brief !
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Over and unnecessarily complicated is the engineering mantra at BMW.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
According to Deans BMW, the price will NOT be in the range stated above. And of course, if you don't want a scooter with features that push the envelope of current scooter technology, don't buy one.

I for one am glad that there are manufacturers making scooters for all different tastes and price points, and with features available for those who would use them.

For a longer discussion on this scooter, see:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=645469&page=2
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
Though it is interesting to see BMW come up with clever ideas, it comes at quite a cost IMO, and not just monetarily. The Germans, collectively, seem to have lost their way.

BMWs used to be simple, light, and reliable. These are the things that used to get them invited to the party. Now it's about electronics and gee whiz gadgetry and you can't trust 'em anymore. Reliability is mediocre, both with cars and bikes. They'll never out-Lexus a Lexus or out-Honda a Honda. Germans just don't do complex like the Japanese.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
Though it is interesting to see BMW come up with clever ideas, it comes at quite a cost IMO, and not just monetarily. The Germans, collectively, seem to have lost their way.

BMWs used to be simple, light, and reliable. These are the things that used to get them invited to the party. Now it's about electronics and gee whiz gadgetry and you can't trust 'em anymore. Reliability is mediocre, both with cars and bikes. They'll never out-Lexus a Lexus or out-Honda a Honda. Germans just don't do complex like the Japanese.
What you are seeing with BMW starting with the R1200GS in 04 (Europe) is seriously going after the Two Wheel market. Since that time both their market share and number of units have increased...unlike the rest of the M/C market. In addition, the S1000RR has redefined the liter bike market with BMW selling some 10,000 more units than they initially planned. The S1000RR is also very price competitive and the safest liter bike in the market. The just introduced K1600GT and GTL are also competitively priced infact less expensive than either the GoldWing or Harley Ultra. The recently completed K1600 Preorder program was pulled one month earlier than expected due to an overwhelming amount of preorders again well over twice that BMW anticipated.

The Moto mags the world wide over have simply gushed over the S1000RR and the K16's

Re warrenty, BMW pays the dealer full posted shop labor rate and full retail for any required parts.

Your perception of BMW is based on Rumor and is ill informed.

BMW picked the 650 Bergman as its target and on the basis that the scooter market has not been addressed from the standpoint of continuing improvements.

I strongly suspect that the soon to be unvailed 650 BMW scooter will be to the scooter market as the S1000RR and the K1600's have been to their respective markets.

Just my somewhat informed $.02 worth.....
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
This might make Suzuki step up to the plate. They have rested on their laurels since 2005. BMW will be setting high bar for the king of the scooter hill.
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
BMW make interesting bikes, but I refuse to buy any machine from them that levies outrageous amounts for what they consider to be "extras" that everyone else considers to be absolutely bog standard kit, ie: (for example) a centre stand and a rip off price to adjust seat height. You even have to pay a premium to just get a bog standard trip computer!!

BMW in the UK quotes its prices LESS V.A.T (equivalent to US sales tax), then adds VAT on, as though the consumer could somehow claim that tax back. Everyone else is straighforward and quotes the proper on-the-road price. BMW then has the temerity to charge ADDITIONALLY a hefty fee for processing it for road use (at the last look, around 200-300 extra). This is cynical marketing of the worst kind and I wish BMW fans would vote with their feet and bypass these inflated machines until BMW stop cashing in on their ridiculously self-important premium pricing which is simply not justified by the actual quality one gets, and which from consumer feedback is no better and often a lot worse than many other brands.

Even a simple and modest bike like the 800cc F650 GS can add up to a ridiculous 8000 on the road by the time you've equipped it with decent gear that is standard on any other comparable type by Suzuki, Honda etc etc. And it's not as though BMW have a stella reputation where reliabilty is concerned.

For that price you can buy a WHOLE car with four doors, five comfortable seats, electric windows and air conditioning, a five year warranty, a flawless engine, a radio and CD player, and every imaginable convenience, plus fuel economy that beats BMW and other bikes despite having mostly engines of DOUBLE the cubic capacity.

For goodness sake, you EVEN have to pay extra for an oil warning light on some BMWs!

robobiker screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 07:46 PM
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbuckrider View Post
This might make Suzuki step up to the plate. They have rested on their laurels since 2005. BMW will be setting high bar for the king of the scooter hill.
Their plan is to do to the scooter world what they have done to the liter bike world with the S1000RR and to the touring/sport touring world that they are doing with the K16's.

There are many other interesting things in the works as well....
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
So Dean,
When you write:
"Your perception of BMW is based on Rumor and is ill informed."

*Are you saying I am wrong that BMWs used to be simple, light, and reliable?
*Or are you saying I am wrong that BMW now has an emphasis on gadgetry and high tech?
*Or that I am wrong in the belief that all this added complexity makes them more problematic?
*Or that I am wrong in saying that high tech German fails more often than high tech Japanese?
*Or that I am out of the loop for not embracing all the whiz bang gadgetry knowing for myself that none of it really helps one get on down the road any better?
*Or that BMW cars rate about middle of the pack of all manufacturers for service and repair issues in spite of their being in the upper echelon of price?
*Or that BMW cars are bricks (weight wise) as are all German cars now and that when BMW invented the sports sedan they were light, nimble, and elegantly simple?

Since you state you are "somewhat informed", please correct me.

Look, if they float yer boat then great. Just understand that some less informed folks don't necessarily embrace the hype or bells and whistles.

Regarding the OP... I'd just as soon NOT have yet another interlock device.
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 10:07 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Mid Teens? you mean 15 THOUSAND? like in $15,000 DOLLARS?
W-O-W count me out!
Count me out too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Of course it is, this is BMW after all. "interesting but complicated" is their design brief !
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Over and unnecessarily complicated is the engineering mantra at BMW.
LOL - you guys are right on! There's a place for that and folks who will happily pay for it but not me.

I prefer uncomplicated and easy - something my limited ability can keep running on my own. I HATE having to pay someone $85 or so an hour to do simple stuff on my bikes.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I will wait for the 750cc Tmax, my current Tmax is already a 750 -3 cyl, but 1 cyl is a dummy cyl used only for balance, all Yamaha has to do is add a piston, connecting rod, the crank is already set up.
I am surprized no current Tmax owner hasn't done it yet!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote