User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Laugh

Burgman 400 got 54mpg in the Rockies - lots of up and down there. I get closer to 60 on the BV 500. Sports City 250 is ok on I-70 but on the steepest grades can't get much over 55mph but it will hold nearer to 65 if it isn't really twisty and gets 60-64 on the mountain grades and 68 on flat.

I don't know of anything that will get 100mpg or even close at 65 on twisties. He's showing how little he knows.

A friend bought a Honda Ruckus to use on days it wasn't pouring down rain or he wouldn't need his truck at work with the idea of saving money on gas. Charlie is one of the few i know who actually did save gas buying a scoot. His view was it would take him 2.2 years to pay it off just in gas and longer between maintenance on his truck. He succeeded in just under 18 months. I doubt we've saved in gas but then if we'd quit buying scoots maybe would have.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
He will probably ride the Honda once or twice and then put it up for sale this next winter.
It will be on CL with the ad saying "it ran fine when parked six months ago".
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I know a guy that has a 750 Shadow and he rides his BIG wife on the back everywhere he goes, and she's a BIG girl, I mean a really BIG girl, and he keeps the speed limits, she never complains about being uncomfortable, and I LOVE the smooth sound that engine makes.
These guys that own the giant cruisers 1600-1800cc don't understand the Honda Shadow will perform and do the same thing their giant cruiser will do!

Yea I agree. Those big 1600+ cruisers make boat loads of torque, but horsepower is surprisingly limited. The older Shadows make about the same Horspower as a Harley Twin Cam 96. And the Harleys have lots more weight to em.

Honda designed these engines SO well! They put in decent low end torque for nice low RPM cruising, but it makes max torque at 6,500 RPM therefor lots of HP!

Yep its funny how an 80s 700-750 Shadow can outperform a lot of big inch cruisers. Top speed is also a the same or higher, most of these huge 1,600-2,000 cc bikes max out at 115-120 MPH. The Shadow will get to 120+ MPH if given time, it takes a long time in OD but it will get there.

Yea the Shadow WILL perform as well as a big cruiser. Its light enough to where its still fun on a curvy road and sparks aren't flying off the floorboards around every corner, but its still comfortable as hell!

I also agree on the sound! I LOVE my Shadow's sound even with the stock exhaust! Its quite, but is very deep and low like a big twin.

IMHO my Shadow sounds as good as a Harley at idle. Never thought I'd say that. A lot of guys say they sound shitty because of the Dual Crank design, but they also have their idle at about 1,300 RPM! Right around 850 RPM they sound beautiful, and uneven! There is a little vibration just like a big twin too!

And it just sings and purrs right around 3,500 RPM at 75 MPH! BEST bike I've ever owned or ridden!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Heck Tacoma, far as enough power, I think the 250 might be a hair stretched but would be fine for the most part.
The Burgman 400 is used by a fellah 'round here I know of (actually lives in Tacoma) for all kinds of gallivanting about including bopping around those volcanic bumps we call the Cascades. It'd be more than adequate.
From personal experience the b650 doesn't even break a sweat two up in the passes around here.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #20
Tacoma OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
Heck Tacoma, far as enough power, I think the 250 might be a hair stretched but would be fine for the most part.
The Burgman 400 is used by a fellah 'round here I know of (actually lives in Tacoma) for all kinds of gallivanting about including bopping around those volcanic bumps we call the Cascades. It'd be more than adequate.
From personal experience the b650 doesn't even break a sweat two up in the passes around here.
you're right, but its nice to have that reserve power and you don't want that engine screaming all the time at high throttle just to keep the speed limits, and you may want to go on a long distance ride sometimes, and the bigger engine is more secure for that.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
you're right, but its nice to have that reserve power and you don't want that engine screaming all the time at high throttle just to keep the speed limits, and you may want to go on a long distance ride sometimes, and the bigger engine is more secure for that.

Yep I would agree. Just cause a bike'll do it doesn't mean it'll do it comfortably and nicely.

As a general guideline, you usually want a bike that has at least 20-30 MPH on reserve of the posted speed limit for highway riding. This is for a bike that you'll do lots of highway riding on, not short jaunts.

Not to mention he is talking about steep inclines. You want the bike to hold an honest GPS 65-70 MPH up steep highway climbs.

And on the flats you want a nice tall top gear. It gets annoying to have your engine buzzing like crazy all the time.

A Burgman 400 would handle it, but may not be the most comfortable bike for this. The 650 would be ideal for this kind of ride with the extra torque.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
I am with you! I agree the Honda 700-750 Shadow is the BEST cruiser bike out there, easy to ride, balanced perfect, s-m-o-o-t-h engine.

I had one, long time ago. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough... thought it was a dog all around! Crappy handling, heavy and sounded like a Hardley with the shits... and ugly to boot!
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #23
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
I had one, long time ago. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough... thought it was a dog all around! Crappy handling, heavy and sounded like a Hardley with the shits... and ugly to boot!

Really? Well what are you comparing it to a CB750 or R6 or something?

It handles fine compared to most cruisers, weighs less than most, and has plenty of power.

My service manuel states it has 66 HP which isn't bad. Most Big Twins are in the mid 60s in the HP department, and their displacing twice what it does.

It gets me up to 100 MPH fine, and has some reserve even at this speed on GPS. So it has plenty of power for me. Great gearing as well.