User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
kglazer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
best way to secure my scooter

hey guys im considering riding my scooter to work over the summer. i cant justify the $4.00 a gallon. im just worried that while im in working the day shift. someone is going to go in the parking lot and see my 50cc scooter that only ways 250lbs and pick it up in there flat bed and get a free scooter. Or just hotwire it and ride off. i have no visual way of seeing the scooter at all times. Am i paranoid or what lol
kglazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Jaybels
scooter hoarder

Oddometer: 40
I use a master lock adjustable cable lock to lock mine up.Its long enough for me to secure mine to a light pole or gas meter or whatever and it also can be cinched up tight to really secure it in place like so wind cant blow it over.Plus it winds up really small and fits nicely around my bars or under the seat.

This is it from there website.

http://www.masterlock.com/product_de...eLocks/8428DPS
Jaybels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,641
I have insurance. I someone steals it, then I get to buy a new one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
DIY Real-Time GPS Tracking
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
https://shop.zoombak.com/zbcart/inde...roducts_id=307 60 buck gps tracker. Any old phone can do the same if left under seat. I would wire up the ignition switch so you can add in another switch that has to be turn on and off. Make it so it can turn over and not start. Eletrical gas pumps can be wired the same way. 200 feet after they start it , it dies.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
kglazer OP
Adventurer

yeah the gps is a good idea. insurance i cant do because its a 50cc scooter so its not titled or registered in MD so i cant have insurance other then adding it to my home owners insurance. do you think it would cover the scooter if its stolen? I was also thinking more on the lines of disk locks as the parking lot really doesnt have anywhere to chain it up too. Does anyone have bad/good experience with disk locks
Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Black Sheep Radical
Fusionista

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kglazer View Post
Am i paranoid or what lol
No, just realistic

That's difficult if there's nothing to chain it up to, as that would have been my first suggestion. A disc lock only stops someone pushing it away, it can still easily be thrown into the back of a van. Are there any other riders working on your shift? If so then you could chain your bikes together to make them that much harder to move.

Larger companies here in the UK often have some sort of 'green' box to tick regarding what (if anything) they're doing about being more environmentally friendly. Maybe you could suggest to your employer that fitting ground anchors (a relatively cheap job) in the car park would encourage more of your colleagues to come to work on a scooter instead of their car?
Black Sheep Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,182
Is there a bike rack at your work? A lot of places let you park a 50cc at a bike rack so you could get a loop around the scoot and lock it up.

Or maybe you could share a spot with one of your co-workers, sort of put the scoot in the spot parallel to the front of the car before the car arrives? It would make it more difficult to maneuver out of the spot.

New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
You have to chain it to something. I use a cobra links lock on my passports and harley if I travel. You could put the ground anchors in yourself on a saturday. I find it odd there there is NOTHING you could chain it too. Chain it to a co workers car?Will the GPS work if your bike isn't started? If not then it would be useless when the bike is put into the back of a van or truck. Chain it up... and use two chains and a U LOCK.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
kglazer OP
Adventurer

the light poles have qbout a 1 foot wide cement medians around them so i would need a long chain to chain it up but with the slack they could probably tinker with it and get it off
Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
This is long enough to get around most posts. If you park at the same spot everyday, I'd leave it there locked. It's big and beefy, but alot to carry around on a 50.

The handcuff system is really versatile, and works well.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFgQ8wIwAA#
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
This is how I secure my ride...
Attached Images

bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kglazer View Post
hey guys im considering riding my scooter to work over the summer. i cant justify the $4.00 a gallon. im just worried that while im in working the day shift. someone is going to go in the parking lot and see my 50cc scooter that only ways 250lbs and pick it up in there flat bed and get a free scooter. Or just hotwire it and ride off. i have no visual way of seeing the scooter at all times. Am i paranoid or what lol
Go to www.lockalarm.com and buy the one that fits your situation the best. You can get them cheaper if you go through amazon.com to buy.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Buy a giant lock and chain just long enough to reach around the light pole. Lock it and leave it on the pole. Park there and use a second lock, cable, chain to secure your scoot to the first chain/lock.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I have insurance. I someone steals it, then I get to buy a new one.

Not exactly... you get a check for the bluebook value of your scooter... which is significantly less than the OTD price of a brand new scooter.

Don't depend on insurance to make you WHOLE after a theft. Lock your scooter!
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote