Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #46
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Alot of the roads are taking a beating from the heat and heavy truck traffic! FM 185 thru Osage has loose "hot mix" all over before and after the low water crossing. FM 929 is rutting bad has large cracks forming from Coryell City back torwards Gatesville. CRS in Bosque county are baby powder
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #47
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,457
Post #1 5-8-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
EVERYONE...PLEASE POST YOUR ROAD CONDITION UPDATES TO LET OTHER RIDERS KNOW WHICH COUNTY,FM,RM & RR ROADS HAVE POTENTIAL PROBLEM SPOTS OR CONSTRUCTION

USE THE GOOGLE MAP LISTED IN THIS THREAD FOR LOCATION INFO...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537485

>>>>>>>This thread is intended to provide much needed info on current conditions of our Texas backroads. Whether State Hwy (TX), Farm to Market (FM), Ranch to Market (RM), Ranch Road (RR) or County Roads (CR).<<<<<<<<

I'll begin with this.....

While riding today on a favorite stretch of Bosque County backroad (CR4145...Rock Church Rd) between Cranfils Gap & The Crossroads (FM219 & FM182) I came across several pavement patches with very heavy loose pea gravel. One patch in particular was sneaky bad....cresting a hill between CR4180 & the Rock Church,the patch started at the crest & extended down the hill about 50-60 feet or so.

Had I not encountered previous patches of loose pea gravel,I might have plowed into that loose stuff with predictable results on a street bike! (Dual Sports wouldn't have quite as hard a time with the loose stuff depending on the rider)

BOSQUE CR4145 (ROCK CHURCH RD)
...SO....AS OF SUNDAY 5-8-2011 BE CAREFUL OF THE LOOSE STUFF...It'll blend in with time since this road gets a good bit of traffic regularly......
Posted Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Yeah, we were on Harmon road in Coryell county today and several long sections of gravel maintenance appeared just over the crest of a couple hills!
Posted Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Is it cr1450 that goes up to Iredell from the Clifton area? Has the cool looking whitish rock church on a hill off to the right if you're going north?

I rode that thing a month or so ago and almost lost the front due to what you're describing since there was a slight bend at the top of the hill.

Edit: This happened on the day TXJames took to the air over that fence.
These roads still have gravel patches & loose pea gravel/pavement which can "appear" just over a crest....I started this thread with a post on Rock Church Rd (Bosque CR4145) having these patches. Everyone using the Google Hill Country Map that lists all these cool little county roads...please make sure you consider the conditions when you ride.....We don't need any more unfortunate episodes.
Keep a wary eye & be ready for the unexpected....It's out there.

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 08:08 PM
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #48
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

BELL CO Willow Grove Rd & Southerland Rd...possibly others in area FRESH PEA GRAVEL

Was ridin back from Belton today & took my TX317 By-Pass which consists of Elm Creek Rd just to the east of 317 running south from FM107 to the Bell Co line where it crosses the railroad tracks at Shine Branch then pick up Willow Grove to Southerland Rd & either to 317 or Pendelton.

Going north I turned off of 317 onto Southerland Rd & then Willow Grove Rd. Both had been topped with fresh pea gravel (nature's marbles). ...Not the whole surface...mostly just the sides about 2 1/2-3 ft from center. But there was plenty of overspray to make the corners "interesting" to say the least. Ya'll watch out for this stuff!!

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #49
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch
These roads still have gravel patches & loose pea gravel/pavement which can "appear" just over a crest....I started this thread with a post on Rock Church Rd (Bosque CR4145) having these patches. Everyone using the Google Hill Country Map that lists all these cool little county roads...please make sure you consider the conditions when you ride.....We don't need any more unfortunate episodes.
Keep a wary eye & be ready for the unexpected....It's out there.
Right. I've ridden that stretch a few times now but one did catch me off guard. They're definitely still there.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #50
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

Coryell Co: FM182 from Hwy36 to Turnersville

Ghost informed me of this sad truly stupified & heartbreaking news....

The TX Highway Dept recently re paved FM182 with some of the smoothest nicest black pavement this area has seen in quite a while.

Problem was....It wasn't thick enough for all the big overloaded trucks.

...So they topped it with some of that evil coarse ass mix referred to as pavement. TRULY SAD !!!!!!

cycledelic hippie
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #51
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,462
mr2mch, I think you're gonna make dsavage cry. 182 with good asphalt was the only break he's caught lately.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 06:10 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
It is true my friends...I have seen with my own eyes FM182 is fucked...Hot chip has been laid to meet state thickness and wear requirements...Sadly, my son was one of the culprits of this debacle...he knew I would be pissed...He said the state made them do it. It still has alot of loose gravel for now
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #53
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

Much needed rain & road conditions

OK FOLKS!.....With the recent rains...& the possibility of some damaged roads because of them...Whoever is out riding & notices some potential hazards on our Texas backroads....POST EM UP...

We have a rally comin up quick & due to several extenuating circumstances...some of our rally route builders have been unable to ride very much ...if at all! YOUR HELP WITH GETTIN THIS INFO OUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

cycledelic hippie
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #54
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

McLennan Co: Rogers Hill Rd fresh topping...mmmmmm

Rogers Hill Rd from FM1858 north to the county line at FM933 is an absolute STAY AWAY road. White crushed rock topping over the tar. Wose than the dreaded marbles (pea gravel) & dusty as hell!! Don't meet any trucks!!!

cycledelic hippie
Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #55
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

Bosque Co: CR4135 - The pavement has left the roadway...

Well...Looks like another little bit of paved paradise is gone. Bosque County 4135 near The Gap has been left to the gravel gods. ...Graded..Bladed rocky rolly gravel. Barely any visible signs of the pavement that once was.

...Maybe again someday...........The DS type folks'll be happy for now.

ALL PAVED COUNTY ROADS AROUND THE STATE: It seems that lots of counties budgets just don't fit paving into the picture for some of the little traveled CRs without many residences on em. More & more of these roads are reverting to gravel/crushed rock surfaces.
I'll try to post up the ones I find to have changed in surfacing over the last year or so.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 03:51 PM
Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #56
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

Lampasas Co: CR2806.....Once Paved....Not so much now...

In fact....hardly any pavement much past the highway. But the road is in excellent shape & the water crossing near the end of the road off of FM581 is still intact & pretty easily crossed...water or not.
CR2806 used to have fairly decent pavement for the most part..& was a nice ride on any street bike. More of an ADV/DS bike road now.

cycledelic hippie
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #57
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Falls and Hill counties are the hot ticket for dirt anyway. Scenery isn't as nice but some of the county roads are literally two track.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #58
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

My old "stompin ground"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
Falls and Hill counties are the hot ticket for dirt anyway. Scenery isn't as nice but some of the county roads are literally two track.
Yeah....Never much county road pavin goin on around Falls co. I grew up there..livin in Marlin until my high school years. Mudclod knos about all the CRs there too. He leads their pack around on some of those 2 track gems.

cycledelic hippie
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #59
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Johnson 208 is a nice little dirt connecting road over on the east side of the County. It's always been wash boarded but it's to the point where picking a line is a good idea in one place now. Looks like some asphalt they put in years ago to keep a problem spot from washing out came loose in this last rain. This has resulted in large chunks all over that section.

I know there probably aren't many of you guys that have actually ridden that road but, point is, a lot of the dirt roads are probably nasty now so be careful out there.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #60
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie

Somervell Co CR2012 (from FM203 to Hwy 67)

If any of ya'll are out ridin the CR pavement around the Glen Rose area....

WATCH OUT FOR PEBBLES.......Might make ya go BAM ! BAM !!

There is a short stretch of CR2012 just south of Hwy 67 (basically from the concrete bridge thru a turn or two) PLENTY OF PEAGRAVEL ....& DEEP!!! right now. It'll finally get swept off...but not for a while.
It'll get ya quick comin into those turns. The rest of the road's pavement is fine ...& that's the problem. You're lulled into a nice ridin rhythm when !??!!! Be careful

cycledelic hippie