Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #31
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I wil just say, if anyone is taking money for maps then in certainly hope that they have donated to the TuneECU site to compensate the people at TuneECU. To me the philosophy of Tuneecu is share and share alike. Lots of people have put time and money into the project. Just one angle, lots of angles to look at it from.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
Maurizio OP
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed productions View Post
i wil just say, if anyone is taking money for maps then in certainly hope that they have donated to the tuneecu site to compensate the people at tuneecu. To me the philosophy of tuneecu is share and share alike. Lots of people have put time and money into the project. Just one angle, lots of angles to look at it from.
+1
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #33
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I think many of us are in the same boat. I will pay to have a fellow 690 rider on this board to tune my bike so it's buttery smooth. Would also like to see them tune it and learn from them so that I can take that knowledge and use it on my bike later down the line.
One thing to try ( if you are not running the stock cat) ( after adjusting the various throttle settings) is to start with the stock map and turn off the O2 sensor and see how your bike responds ( you will be operating in non- loopback mode). A second stage is to enrich the mixture slightly and test. Repeat as necessary.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Well, my current investment in the project is....

Cable $79.00
Innovate LM-2 $400.00
welding of bung in the exhaust $25.00

Time, I don't event want to think about the time investment at this point
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #35
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
The problem is that we are in the Uk and mainly deal with european rallies, theses ecu's are expensive so if they go missing you will soon be wanting a new replacement set, (who's paying)

As said earlier that mapping can be very bike specific, ie air filter / exhaust combos + other mods. We have seen different AFR values using the same map but changing between akro and fmf pipes. Because of this I like to check every remap before given the bike back.

What you need is someone in the US that understands what their doing with the mapping, I'll give them a base map that stops the stalling and makes the bike smoother and they can tweak it from their, also you have to remember that you lot in the US have different spec bikes to europe and have a vast variety of riding conditions, altitude etc compared to us here.

Like crankshaft said PLEASE DONT go downloading maps of the internet and put them in your bike unless you know what your doing and can verify the map contents as its really easy to blow an engine.

So who wants to pick up the cable and run with it????
I had the dealer install the akra map today on my 690. At first he said they installed the US version akra and it didnt work, then they called up KTM and they sent a euro akra map and that installed without a glitch. They then told me that I was the first to get a euro akra map installed. I rode the bike back home on the freeway and it really opened up the power band. 4th gear feels like 3rd now and so on....I will ride this weekend at the trails to see how it feels there. My bike has the RR foam filter, FMF slip-on and emissions canister & SAS removed. I also unplugged the 2nd and 3rd ger rev limiter pins.
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #36
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
To measure THAD

Remove airbox

Fire up tuneecu so it display throttle volts

Now to get the correct thad value you need to fully close the butterfly valve with your finger, now if correct it should read 0.5v

EDIT; Taken from 09 repair manual

hey beaney, don't you have to disconnect stepper motor before adjusting thad
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #37
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,804
Has anyone been able to read EP maps via tune ecu ?
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #38
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Has anyone been able to read EP maps via tune ecu ?
I was not able to read those maps. The connection kept dropping. I think others have been successful though.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I was not able to read those maps. The connection kept dropping. I think others have been successful though.
Try loading a different ep map from your computer first. Mine read just fine after that.
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #40
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

We've had full access from day one. We've actually successfully disabled the ECU controlled throttle with the tuning software.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #41
TrailGoat
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
I had the dealer install the akra map today on my 690. At first he said they installed the US version akra and it didnt work, then they called up KTM and they sent a euro akra map and that installed without a glitch. They then told me that I was the first to get a euro akra map installed. I rode the bike back home on the freeway and it really opened up the power band. 4th gear feels like 3rd now and so on....I will ride this weekend at the trails to see how it feels there. My bike has the RR foam filter, FMF slip-on and emissions canister & SAS removed. I also unplugged the 2nd and 3rd ger rev limiter pins.
How do you remove the 2nd and 3rd limiter pins? Do you know why they're there in the first place, just emissions?

I'm running stock maps so far, LeoVince slip-on with the mapping insert (dB reducer). I will need to load Akra maps if I remove the insert, but I'm curious as to the overall effect of removing the limiter pins with my current setup.

Thanks in advance.
TrailGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #42
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGoat View Post
How do you remove the 2nd and 3rd limiter pins? Do you know why they're there in the first place, just emissions?

I'm running stock maps so far, LeoVince slip-on with the mapping insert (dB reducer). I will need to load Akra maps if I remove the insert, but I'm curious as to the overall effect of removing the limiter pins with my current setup.

Thanks in advance.
Here's a write-up but if you're in the States the limiter isn't applied. (I have no idea which markets get it, just that the States don't.)

Like a couple of others I tried this and noticed no difference and then just wired everything back up the way it was.

Crank, beaney, et al: we owe you. Thanks for putting in all the time & efforts

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #43
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

We're thinking about doing a tune day at a Dual sport ride somewhere but we need to get my bike figured out. I had hoped maybe the KTM Adventure ride in PA but it's too soon.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #44
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravine View Post
Try loading a different ep map from your computer first. Mine read just fine after that.
I'll try that. Thanks !
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #45
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

**Update on our tuning journey**

We've been tuning the map using the TPS sensor and shutting off the MAP sensor. We're not really happy with the results using just the TPS sensor, so we're going to try using the MAP sensor. What we've discovered is that on decel, the LM-2 is showing a lean condition which to me seems to be the reason for the jerky throttle and surging. Going riding with Seth S this weekend, which is a great opportunity to back to back a stock 690 with our "tuned" 690. With luck we'll be rigging up the MAP sensor to the LM-2 for even more accuracy. It's been fun playing with the TuneECU software and relearning all this stuff (again)