Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #46
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Put the standard airbox back on and try it, the rubber boot that connects to the throttle body extends up into the airbox, this velocity stack gives you the bottom end torque, without this youll get better topend but make the bottom end worse.
Airbox with foan filter, give it a go compared to your pod filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
**Update on our tuning journey**

We've been tuning the map using the TPS sensor and shutting off the MAP sensor. We're not really happy with the results using just the TPS sensor, so we're going to try using the MAP sensor. What we've discovered is that on decel, the LM-2 is showing a lean condition which to me seems to be the reason for the jerky throttle and surging. Going riding with Seth S this weekend, which is a great opportunity to back to back a stock 690 with our "tuned" 690. With luck we'll be rigging up the MAP sensor to the LM-2 for even more accuracy. It's been fun playing with the TuneECU software and relearning all this stuff (again)
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #47
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
Put the standard airbox back on and try it, the rubber boot that connects to the throttle body extends up into the airbox, this velocity stack gives you the bottom end torque, without this youll get better topend but make the bottom end worse.
Airbox with foan filter, give it a go compared to your pod filter.
Good point, I'll try that this weekend. The bottom end seemed fine, it was the part throttle snatchiness that I don't like. You tune mostly with the TPS right? If so, why not use the MAP?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #48
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Did a really nasty dual sport ride on Saturday on my recently tuned 690 and the results are amazing. The small adjustments made have really transformed the engine and how it runs. Decided to remove the Acro map and just use the stock base map for tuning and so far it's worked out well.
Fuel consumption appears to be close, if not better than stock in the nasty stuff.

We loaded the Map on Seth's 690 this morning and with luck he'll weigh in on the results of the tune. After riding my bike he said without hesitation that he wanted it loaded on his bike
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #49
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
I loaded Beaney's map. Wow what a difference. Thanks again!

My only concern is it that she runs so good now that my MPG will suffer. Time will tell.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #50
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,496
I've been following this discussion with great interest as I'm an EFI noob.

This question is probably academic for most riders, but it's not been discussed yet.

I suspect that most folks want to tune their EFI due to intake & exhaust changes.

Are the maps (i.e. the #2/3 "Full Power" maps, the #1 "DR650" map, and the #0 "Bad Fuel" map) derived from a primary map and do what they do with skews or biases, or are they all independent maps which would require tuning to run correctly with intake & exhaust changes?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #51
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've been following this discussion with great interest as I'm an EFI noob.

This question is probably academic for most riders, but it's not been discussed yet.

I suspect that most folks want to tune their EFI due to intake & exhaust changes.

Are the maps (i.e. the #2/3 "Full Power" maps, the #1 "DR650" map, and the #0 "Bad Fuel" map) derived from a primary map and do what they do with skews or biases, or are they all independent maps which would require tuning to run correctly with intake & exhaust changes?
prety sure those maps do not alter the delivery of the fuel mixture in any shape or form but change the way that the throttle plate reacts to input. My throttle is now locked 1:1 to whatever my wrist is doing so it might be an interesting test to set it in xr400 mode and see what changes.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #52
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I was wondering the same thing. If you change a map do you just change the one map the dial switch was set to? Or are all of the settings changed?

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #53
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
I'll tell you compared to the 990 map IMO the 690 map and heck of lot more complicated.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #54
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
prety sure those maps do not alter the delivery of the fuel mixture in any shape or form but change the way that the throttle plate reacts to input. My throttle is now locked 1:1 to whatever my wrist is doing so it might be an interesting test to set it in xr400 mode and see what changes.
i think thats it , so if you make an alteration to the throttle map to open the butterfly up 100% in the #2 setting you can leave the #3 the stock and use that for cruising. The alterations for timing and fuel trim in the fuel map effect all 3 positions.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #55
Maurizio OP
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
My throttle is now locked 1:1 to whatever my wrist is doing
With an EPT map like this?
Attached Images

sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #56
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Tuning the 690 has been a really good learning experience, we've only really scratched the surface but every little discovery is exciting. Jim and I have only messed with the performance mapping and left the other 2 alone. Before the adjustment, I never liked the performance map, it felt to high strung for my style of riding but now it's perfect. The way it pulls the front wheel off the ground is very smooth and linear, the power delivery is smooth as butter. It reminds me of my Super Enduro actually. Even with the pod filter, it has great bottom end.

We finally were able to pick up an external MAP sensor to use while data logging with the LM-2 and our hope is that it will allow us to really fine tune the part throttle mapping, decel and acceleration.

I'll be at the KTM ride in Mill Hall PA this weekend if anyone wants to take my 690 for a ride and see what better tuning feels like.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #57
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
I'll be at the KTM ride in Mill Hall PA this weekend if anyone wants to take my 690 for a ride and see what better tuning feels like.
I was thinking about heading out but might not be able to make it for all the days. I assume you are running aftermarket exhaust and air filter right? man I really want to see what its like to not have it jerky. Might have to head out. I'll see whats up with my schedule.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #58
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I was thinking about heading out but might not be able to make it for all the days. I assume you are running aftermarket exhaust and air filter right? man I really want to see what its like to not have it jerky. Might have to head out. I'll see whats up with my schedule.
I'll be camping in the park for the Durty Dabbers event and doing the D/S ride, not the ADV ride. I have a gray Sprinter van and I'll be parked next to a very large Sprinter van. Hope to see you.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #59
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
I'll be camping in the park for the Durty Dabbers event and doing the D/S ride, not the ADV ride. I have a gray Sprinter van and I'll be parked next to a very large Sprinter van. Hope to see you.
Cool, If I go I will def look for you. I will probably drive there in a green defender or white range rover classic. I will PM you my number just incase.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #60
Unox
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm trying to understand this whole thing before i fry my ecu. I've got a 2011 690 Enduro with wings silencer and ktm foam filter. I guess i should use the acrapovic map?
On http://www.tomhamburg.net there is some maps that is only for the 2011 model but there is also acrapovic maps that fits all years? should I wait for a acrapovic map for the 2011 model?
Unox is offline   Reply With Quote