ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #46
beaney
rally racer
 
beaney's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: uk, or on a rally.
Oddometer: 124
Put the standard airbox back on and try it, the rubber boot that connects to the throttle body extends up into the airbox, this velocity stack gives you the bottom end torque, without this youll get better topend but make the bottom end worse.
Airbox with foan filter, give it a go compared to your pod filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
**Update on our tuning journey**

We've been tuning the map using the TPS sensor and shutting off the MAP sensor. We're not really happy with the results using just the TPS sensor, so we're going to try using the MAP sensor. What we've discovered is that on decel, the LM-2 is showing a lean condition which to me seems to be the reason for the jerky throttle and surging. Going riding with Seth S this weekend, which is a great opportunity to back to back a stock 690 with our "tuned" 690. With luck we'll be rigging up the MAP sensor to the LM-2 for even more accuracy. It's been fun playing with the TuneECU software and relearning all this stuff (again)
__________________
690 enduro/ rally
350 exc
RALLY-RAIDPRODUCTS.CO.UK
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #47
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
Put the standard airbox back on and try it, the rubber boot that connects to the throttle body extends up into the airbox, this velocity stack gives you the bottom end torque, without this youll get better topend but make the bottom end worse.
Airbox with foan filter, give it a go compared to your pod filter.
Good point, I'll try that this weekend. The bottom end seemed fine, it was the part throttle snatchiness that I don't like. You tune mostly with the TPS right? If so, why not use the MAP?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #48
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Did a really nasty dual sport ride on Saturday on my recently tuned 690 and the results are amazing. The small adjustments made have really transformed the engine and how it runs. Decided to remove the Acro map and just use the stock base map for tuning and so far it's worked out well.
Fuel consumption appears to be close, if not better than stock in the nasty stuff.

We loaded the Map on Seth's 690 this morning and with luck he'll weigh in on the results of the tune. After riding my bike he said without hesitation that he wanted it loaded on his bike
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #49
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 867
I loaded Beaney's map. Wow what a difference. Thanks again!

My only concern is it that she runs so good now that my MPG will suffer. Time will tell.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #50
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!
 
Roadracer_Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,496
I've been following this discussion with great interest as I'm an EFI noob.

This question is probably academic for most riders, but it's not been discussed yet.

I suspect that most folks want to tune their EFI due to intake & exhaust changes.

Are the maps (i.e. the #2/3 "Full Power" maps, the #1 "DR650" map, and the #0 "Bad Fuel" map) derived from a primary map and do what they do with skews or biases, or are they all independent maps which would require tuning to run correctly with intake & exhaust changes?
__________________
------------------------------
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
------------------------------
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #51
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've been following this discussion with great interest as I'm an EFI noob.

This question is probably academic for most riders, but it's not been discussed yet.

I suspect that most folks want to tune their EFI due to intake & exhaust changes.

Are the maps (i.e. the #2/3 "Full Power" maps, the #1 "DR650" map, and the #0 "Bad Fuel" map) derived from a primary map and do what they do with skews or biases, or are they all independent maps which would require tuning to run correctly with intake & exhaust changes?
prety sure those maps do not alter the delivery of the fuel mixture in any shape or form but change the way that the throttle plate reacts to input. My throttle is now locked 1:1 to whatever my wrist is doing so it might be an interesting test to set it in xr400 mode and see what changes.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #52
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed
 
wswartzwel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,036
I was wondering the same thing. If you change a map do you just change the one map the dial switch was set to? Or are all of the settings changed?
__________________
_________________________

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #53
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 867
I'll tell you compared to the 990 map IMO the 690 map and heck of lot more complicated.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #54
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
prety sure those maps do not alter the delivery of the fuel mixture in any shape or form but change the way that the throttle plate reacts to input. My throttle is now locked 1:1 to whatever my wrist is doing so it might be an interesting test to set it in xr400 mode and see what changes.
i think thats it , so if you make an alteration to the throttle map to open the butterfly up 100% in the #2 setting you can leave the #3 the stock and use that for cruising. The alterations for timing and fuel trim in the fuel map effect all 3 positions.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #55
Maurizio OP
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
My throttle is now locked 1:1 to whatever my wrist is doing
With an EPT map like this?
Attached Images
 
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #56
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Tuning the 690 has been a really good learning experience, we've only really scratched the surface but every little discovery is exciting. Jim and I have only messed with the performance mapping and left the other 2 alone. Before the adjustment, I never liked the performance map, it felt to high strung for my style of riding but now it's perfect. The way it pulls the front wheel off the ground is very smooth and linear, the power delivery is smooth as butter. It reminds me of my Super Enduro actually. Even with the pod filter, it has great bottom end.

We finally were able to pick up an external MAP sensor to use while data logging with the LM-2 and our hope is that it will allow us to really fine tune the part throttle mapping, decel and acceleration.

I'll be at the KTM ride in Mill Hall PA this weekend if anyone wants to take my 690 for a ride and see what better tuning feels like.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #57
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ini88's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: New York, NY
Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'll be at the KTM ride in Mill Hall PA this weekend if anyone wants to take my 690 for a ride and see what better tuning feels like.
I was thinking about heading out but might not be able to make it for all the days. I assume you are running aftermarket exhaust and air filter right? man I really want to see what its like to not have it jerky. Might have to head out. I'll see whats up with my schedule.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2006 KTM 640 Adventure - Stolen :(
ini88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #58
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I was thinking about heading out but might not be able to make it for all the days. I assume you are running aftermarket exhaust and air filter right? man I really want to see what its like to not have it jerky. Might have to head out. I'll see whats up with my schedule.
I'll be camping in the park for the Durty Dabbers event and doing the D/S ride, not the ADV ride. I have a gray Sprinter van and I'll be parked next to a very large Sprinter van. Hope to see you.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #59
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ini88's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: New York, NY
Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'll be camping in the park for the Durty Dabbers event and doing the D/S ride, not the ADV ride. I have a gray Sprinter van and I'll be parked next to a very large Sprinter van. Hope to see you.
Cool, If I go I will def look for you. I will probably drive there in a green defender or white range rover classic. I will PM you my number just incase.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2006 KTM 640 Adventure - Stolen :(
ini88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #60
Unox
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 9
I'm trying to understand this whole thing before i fry my ecu. I've got a 2011 690 Enduro with wings silencer and ktm foam filter. I guess i should use the acrapovic map?
On http://www.tomhamburg.net there is some maps that is only for the 2011 model but there is also acrapovic maps that fits all years? should I wait for a acrapovic map for the 2011 model?
Unox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014