User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
robobiker OP
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
Vespa GTS simple GPS solution?

HI. I'm researching the simplest way to attach and power a basic GPS or SatNav to my Vespa 250 GTS. Either something I can glance at, safety allowing, or maybe a bluetooth or earphone extension.

The problem is that the potential attachment points on a Vespa are limited. One way is to afix a RAM mount on the inner mirror stork, but this has two disadvantages: It somewhat spoils the aesthetically pleasing look of a Vespa and more importantly, the mirror attachments on Vespas are a bit delicate and the mirror stork is liable to come loose.

The other method I would guess is to somehow attach the GPS in the central part of the scooter, just between the dash readouts and the glove box, but most gps mounts are designed to wrap round bars. I've seen some mounts use suction but I'm a bit wary of this. Perhaps there is a super-firm velcro attachment that I haven't seen.

If anyone would like to post some pics or examples of their own solutions I'd be interested to see them.
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,156
I used the suction cup attachment on mine to mount it on the shield. I put the suction cup on about 1 month ago and it's still on. I know these sometimes come off so I also tied a short piece of cord from the GPS mount to the shield mount and something similar from the GPS to the shield mount. This way the GPS is connected to the bike itself and can't fall off.

If I get a chance later I'll grab a pic for you.

BUT, I only did this for a long ride I was taking. I personally find it distracting to look at the screen so, for daily use I turn the volume to maximum and keep the GPS itself in the inside chest pocket of my jacket. I can easily hear the commands on where to turn and don't have to worry about vibration or the GPS falling off.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
robobiker OP
NewRoundHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
If I get a chance later I'll grab a pic for you.
Thanks! I considered the idea of putting the device in my pocket. Seems like a simple solution! But meantime I've ordered a Givi strap on all-weather container that looks like it can be strapped around the centre steering stock.

Next solution is to find an elegant solution for 12V power.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by robobiker View Post

Next solution is to find an elegant solution for 12V power.
Easy!
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_deta...OWER-PLUG/1708

One of these was on my scoot when I bought it. You could do the same thing yourself a lot cheaper but if it is elegant you want - this is nicely done.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
robobiker OP
NewRoundHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Easy!
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_deta...OWER-PLUG/1708

One of these was on my scoot when I bought it. You could do the same thing yourself a lot cheaper but if it is elegant you want - this is nicely done.
Thanks again. I'll see if I can find an import to the UK
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
My Vespa dealer says it is a stock item which should be available at your Vespa dealer in Europe but the only way to get them in the US is Scooterwest. grr

I've got one on my GTS AND have a rammount handlebar U mount on the mirror stem but I have aftermarket chrome mirrors. This is the scoot with the GPS on it during one of our wildflower rides a year or two ago.

On my Scarabeo 500ie I've used this ram mount on the mirror stem where it goes into the summer windscreen support mount. That isn't the lower picture which came of the site I "borrowed" the image from. Either way when the GPS isn't being used all that is visible is the little ball. The connector between the ball and the GPS holder adds extra vibration dampening and you can get one the length you need to position it where you find it comfortable to read. As you can see from the pic above I put mine above my regular gages behind the windscreen.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote