Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
MN_Disco1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Wink First Post: Looking at a Scooter....

Well I just signed up after reading a lot on scooters. It seems like this website has a lot of experience to draw from....

So as my name implies I do dig the the idea of having a little adventure. My first adventure rig is a 94 Discovery. Now I am thinking about two wheels and something else to tinker with.

I guess i am looking for information on a scooter as a good way to learn to ride. I have never ridden a scooter or a motorcycle; i guess i did not have an opportunity.

I have been looking at a Ruckus. Safety is the utmost importance so i have been looking at motorbike training before i start.

I would appreciate any pointers on helmets, jackets, classes, the whole deal...

Thanks
MN_Disco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Bingo!!! We have a Winner!!!!

You have come to the right place. Welcome to Adventure Land. Or is it Asylum Land?
You have made a wise decision in saying you want to take a riding course. Around here, you will see that the vast majority of us are very safety minded. Taking that course will not only get you introduced to the world of 2 wheels, but it will open your eyes to some of what it takes to stay in one piece.
I don't have a Ruckus, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. Just be forewarned, once you get used to zipping around on a Ruckus, you're gonna want to raise a ruckus on to something bigger, to go on even bigger and farther adventures.
When it comes time to move up, the inmates here will steer you in the right direction. Just don't be surprised if it happens to be a million different directions, because everyone has their own favorites. Don't say I didn't warn ya.
As for the motorcycle vs scooter debate, that will be up to you. Lots of folks have both, with each having their own specialty. Many (many) years ago, I learned to ride on a Harley Sprint, but the frirst one that I owned was a Vespa 125. It had a metal body, a twist-grip 3-speed, it was a tank and it would out-run a Honda 50. That, plus it would go anywhere a Honda 50 would go and then some, much to the chagrin of my friends with the H-50s.
Since then, I've owned only motorcycles, but guess what? The older I get, the harder it is to sling a leg over a tall bike, and I'm thinking of going back to my roots. Maybe not a Vespa again, but back to something with floorboards and a step-through. It's all a personal decision that only YOU can make for yourself. Except for making high speed runs at the Salt Flats, there's not too much that a bike can do that a scooter can't do just as well from short trips to the store (actually does this better) to touring.
But, just like the fact that one person's dream is a Ruckus and someone else wants nothing less than a full dressed hog, it's all up to you (and your pocketbook).
Whatever you decide to get, have fun and be safe!
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
MN_Disco1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks!

I have been going back and forth between a small dual sport and a ruckus. I have actually been thinking a scooter based on the following:

- i will probably just ride around town after work and on the weekends.
- a scooter would not take up as much space as a bike. I have a super small two car full of two cars and tools.
- price...I guess I don't want to spend every penny on the hobby.
- bottom line, i am looking for something to wrench on and go on short rides
MN_Disco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,442
rukus is good scooter. The big rusus is even better is you can find one. It also depends on what your wants for CC . I love the honda helix. Others like the elite 80 to 250. The rukus is great bike because so many people are making after market parts for them. Lots of hop ups to add on to them. You can ride off road on one if you ve got the right type of scooter tire. People make there own little sidecars for them to haul a dog around town etc. To find what you want I would look up one of the craglist search engines like search tempest .
The 4best online places for stuff are
ironpony.com
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com and http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
They all offering last years or the year before gear at deep discounts. Name brands helmets 30 bucks up. Coats and pants starting at 40 bucks for name brands not china crap. As one guys has said It's great you first are going to get training before hitting the road so to speak. Far to many still don't do that.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 01:35 AM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Welcome to ADV rider! You've come to the right place!

As for the scooter, its ALL about what your wants and needs are. If you plan on doing most of your riding at a leisurely 30-35 MPH around town, the Ruckus will be a great scooter for you. Looks cool and has decent off road abilities.

If you want to do around town and longer distance backroad cruising take a look at the 125 cc class scoots. The Kymco Agility 125 is a great scooter. Cheaper than the Honda Ruckus at just $1,799 but much more powerful. It'll cruise real nice at 45-50 MPH and top out at about 60 MPH. Theres lots of 125 cc scoots.

If your riding will include around town, backroad cruising, some 2 lane 55 MPH highways and short jaunts on the interstate, a 150-250 cc scoot will do it great. 150 cc scoots will get you to about 55 MPH for cheap models and 65-70 MPH for higher end liquid cooled models. A typical 250 cc scooter will get you to 75 MPH and a higher end model about 80+ MPH.

You also mention you want wrenching? Check out a used 85-87 Honda Elite 150 on Craigslist. They initially require a bit of work, but once you get all the old parts replaced they go for 100K+ trouble free miles with proper maintenance, give you a 65+ MPH top speed, and get 80-100 MPG and sell for about $600-$1,100 depending on condition

Theres lots of scoots out there. Just find which fits your needs best.

BTW smart choice on taking the safety course. Safety is very important on 2 wheels, as most of the time you get no second chance
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Welcome to ADV rider! Safety is very important on 2 wheels, as most of the time you get no second chance
What he said!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
They hit all the highlights I would only add http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx. This is a great place to start.
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #8
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly-one View Post
Just be forewarned, once you get used to zipping around on a Ruckus, you're gonna want ..........something bigger, to go on even bigger and farther adventures.
True dat.

It's addicting:

ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,535
Welcome to the Asylum. You've come to the right place. I would recomend taking the MSF riding course as a good way to get started. For info on riding gear, check out this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653311

If you haven't already, check out the Day trippin and ride reports section of this forum, lots of great pics and stories there, even a few done on scooters. If those sections don't get you drooling over the prospect of riding, nothing will.

As for what to get, there are plenty of choices out there. I have a long background riding motorcycles, only recently getting my first scooter. For riding around town and practicality, you can't beat a scooter.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnath View Post
True dat.

It's addicting:

Ronnath proves my point very well.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I took the MSF course back in the 80's, and used it to teach my kids and wife to ride. My wife is scheduled to take the real course in July.

Yes, it is that important.

If I was a starting to ride, I'd consider any of the better 125's or 150's scooters - Vespa/Piaggio/Honda/Kymco/Etc. - or a 200-250 motorcycle, like the Yamaha TW200, a cool bike, Ninja 250, etc.

Really, if you stay in the 125/200 range, in either a scooter or small motorcycle, you'll have plenty of speed/power, a light weight bike that's easier to learn and practice on, and something you can live with for a few years, if you want. A later model used bike would be fine for a starter ride. Find the models you'd consider, and use Ebay, Craigslist, or the search sites for used scooters/bikes.

Once you've ridden for a year or two, you'll be ready for the Blur 220...
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,764
50cc is just too small. Get at least a 150cc so you will keep it for a while.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSteel View Post
- or a 200-250 motorcycle, like the Yamaha TW200, a cool bike, Ninja 250, etc.
Yah, I forgot to add the TW200. It's a very fun bike with a lower seat height that you can take almost anywhere. It's not a touring bike, although some epic rides have been made on them, including one I read about from Cali to Alaska. You'll find other RRs (ride reports) on this forum as well if you use the search feature.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Don't buy one for the wrong reasons, a motorcycle or a scooter isn't for everybody, the number one reason to want to own one is the love and passion to ride, you need that feeling when your out working on a nice sunny day and you see a motorcycle ride past, and you say to yourself "I wish that was me out riding instead of being stuck here working", or if you see a bike at a gas station and you just stand there and stare at it and dream about owing one.
Some people the excitemnt wears off after owning one, some people own a bike just to show it off, or to impress others, don't buy it for those reasons, buy it for you, to impress you.
Thats what I tell everybody, when someone asks me why did I buy my scooter for, I tell them "To impress me,, not you"
Good Luck, I hope you get one cause I think you'll love it!

btw: a motorcycle or scooter is a great stress reliever, when your out on the open road your problems seem to fade away, you're in the zone, just you and the wind rushing your face, the freedom, the smell of the air, the things you see that you missed seeing when you traveled that same route in a car, you're one with nature, the rush or speed knowing your in control, you have a smile on your face, its a passion, its better than sex!

Tacoma screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 03:40 PM
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
btw: a motorcycle or scooter is a great stress reliever, when your out on the open road your problems seem to fade away, you're in the zone, just you and the wind rushing your face, the freedom, the smell of the air, the things you see that you missed seeing when you traveled that same route in a car, you're one with nature, the rush or speed knowing your in control, you have a smile on your face, its a passion,
It will most definitely relieve stress and put a smile on your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
its better than sex!
Tacoma, let's not get carried away there, dude!