Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #16
RedRocket OP
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,041
first morning i had my daughter here to put on some socks and a shirt.
slept in my socks last night, took a while to get a shirt on,can't brush teeth or hair. couldn't eat till a friend's wife brought me some blendered chicken soup and a sammich cut into little pieces, prepped my coffee maker for me. pouring is hard.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
RedRocket OP

story time

i fucked up.

since i got my miata the desire to ride had faded some. hadn't ridden in a few months. charged the battery and aired the tires on my pc800. rode off to work.

having sat for a while the fluid level on the clutch had gone down making shifting hard -not impossible- and finding neutral almost gone. i had dealt with this b4 and didn't have/take the time to top it up. i should have, or just jumped in the car instead but i was already dressed and moving.

6 miles in, headed for the fwy on a busy road that typically travels at around 60mph. had one car in front of me as the light turned yellow. i was planning to stop and started slowing and downshifting while the car in front of me kept going, then at the last second he decided to stop hard. i had room, but my attention was on getting to neutral to avoid the clutch drag while stopped so it caught me off guard. when i saw the car in front change his mind my rusty skills had me grab too much of the good double disc brakes and i locked the front wheel which turned to the left -i think i was contemplating taking the lane to my left but hadn't checked my 6 so i didn't.

i went down hard in the blink of an eye, not the usual slo-mo in these situations. my shoulder smacked the pavement, followed by my head. as i was rolling in the left lane i thought about getting run over which seems happen often here in socal. got up out of the road and sat on the curb. i knew i had dislocated my left shoulder so i pulled my helmet off with the other hand. the kid got out apologizing for changing his mind. we picked up the bike and moved it to the curb. i watched as the cars pulled off from the light and crushing various pieces of the bike's tupperware. a couple got out of their with a 1st aid kit but firetrucks showed up quickly.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
RedRocket OP

the EMT's were good, they gently helped me off with my jacket and checked me out. i asked them to put my arm back in but was told they weren't allowed to but they put my arm in a sling and tried to make it as comfy as possible. i turned down the high-priced ambulance ride knowing a hospital wasn't too far away. i asked the kid in the car if he'd drop me off and he agreed to help me. the police came and interviewed him, then me. i was afraid i'd end up with a 'following too close' or 'careless driving' ticket but the cops were pretty cool about it. the cop mentioned that he hadn't started writing anything down yet and asked me if i wanted him to write a report. i said no please, and considering i was really the only one involved he's skip report if it was ok with me. i was all for it.
luckily i crashed within about 4 block's of a friend's work and called him up. he came over and because my helmet wouldn't fit on his head the cops surprisingly let him ride the bike back to his work without a lid. I didn't care much about the bike at that point so i didn't look too closely at it. the crash bar covers were gone as was the left mirror and signal but it was still rideable. i really don't know what it looks like as i haven't seen it since.

I was wearing a nolan x-lite helmet and it did it's job. i know the lid and face shield were gored up but my bell was rung for only a short while. I don't seem to have any cranial repercussions in the 40-odd hours since so i'm pleased with it's performance.
the joe rocket perforated leather jacket didn't come apart anywhere, but i added a few scrapes to it. it has soft foam armor without a hard outer shell and i wonder how much impact it helped absorb considering the shoulder break and dislocation.
i've always been suspect of short, non-gauntlet style gloves and the quarter-sized rash at the bottom of my left palm seems to indicate my suspicions may be correct though i left them in the bike and haven't seen them yet. my shoulder brace keeps contacting it, and it keeps getting stuck to it. yuck.
95% of the time i get on a bike i wear overpants, unfortunately this was one of the 5% days. I've got some rash on my knees.

this part sucks cause as it's already scabbing up with lots of vitamin e applications if i sit still for 5 minutes they crack when i move.

i was wearing boots, and the sole area of one toe is ground down a bit but my feet and ankles are fine.

WEAR GEAR!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,549
Heal fast, it's gonna be hard for the first days. Locking the front is one of my worst fears, that's the main reason my panic braking is actually worst than normal breaking... ABS would have probably saved your ass I reckon...

Do you actually have to pay for the ambulance?
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
RedRocket OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Heal fast, it's gonna be hard for the first days. Locking the front is one of my worst fears, that's the main reason my panic braking is actually worst than normal breaking... ABS would have probably saved your ass I reckon...

Do you actually have to pay for the ambulance?
i'm usually pretty good with panic braking due to practice. 3 months out of the saddle sure cost me.

as for the ambulance i'm pretty sure my hmo coverage would have left me on the hook for a bunch of that bill.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
i'm usually pretty good with panic braking due to practice. 3 months out of the saddle sure cost me.
You cannot practice panic braking, that's why it's called that... You just get better at not panicking but when faced with real out-of-control danger and get caught off guard your reactions are much worst that your actual riding abilities... If your clutch was operating normally maybe this thread wouldn't exist...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
RedRocket OP

some good news today

first of all i feel better than yesterday.
went to see the ortho surgeon and new x-rays show that when they put my shoulder back in the broken wedge went back to it's original spot meaning no surgery there unless something strange happens.

he explained that when shoulders get dislocated often you either tear ligaments or break the bone.
he also took me out of the big brace that strapped the arm to my stomach and sold me a sling. it's very sore but i have lot's more mobility, i should now be able to wipe my butt and bathe.

i have an appt. tomorrow to see about my hand

Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
RedRocket OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
You cannot practice panic braking, that's why it's called that... You just get better at not panicking but when faced with real out-of-control danger and get caught off guard your reactions are much worst that your actual riding abilities... If your clutch was operating normally maybe this thread wouldn't exist...
let me rephrase - 'threshold braking'
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
95% of the time i get on a bike i wear overpants, unfortunately this was one of the 5% days. I've got some rash on my knees.

this part sucks cause as it's already scabbing up with lots of vitamin e applications if i sit still for 5 minutes they crack when i move.
I'd bet kevlar lined pants (Draggin Jeans etc.) would have helped with the knees.

Get well soon.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:

I can't believe you type that fast with that thing...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #26
RedRocket OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
I'd bet kevlar lined pants (Draggin Jeans etc.) would have helped with the knees.

Get well soon.

thanks.
you know i was wearing a pair of khaki pants and there is only one tiny hole in one knee.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #27
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
The best thing I've found to keep scabs soft and clean is medicated petroleum jelly. It can be hard to find now that Vaseline brand is no longer making it. I've used it for years on the job for burns and abrasions.
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #28
RedRocket OP

Thumb

another good day!

first of all i managed to dress myself,brush my teeth and hair, and i can put on my sling by myself.

even better i saw the hand surgeon and they don't want to dig into it. the bone is only 1/4 inch shorter and said if they try and reset it that the muscles will just pull it out again. they straightened it some with painful pressure on the cast which a 2nd set of x-rays showed, and the new cast is less restrictive on my fingers and thumb so the hand is now more useful.
hopefully the other arm will be out of the sling in 2 weeks.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #29
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
sorry to hear about it but thanks for sharing all the details- may help someone- as for the wipping- I had a similiar incident and ended up getting a toilet bowl cleaner and wrapping the toilet paper around it then I could reach- thanks to an occupational therapist who showed that to me!!! get better soon
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #30
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
The best thing I've found to keep scabs soft and clean is medicated petroleum jelly. It can be hard to find now that Vaseline brand is no longer making it. I've used it for years on the job for burns and abrasions.
Coconut oil will work, and it isn't petrol-based. Find it at health food stores.
(BTW, you can eat it too ).

I hope you heal up soon!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote