User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Moto Gymkhana?

We've all seen the videos, and most of us realize that this is an awesome sport. Extra awesome because although the skill level remains high you can use any bike, you don't need much space and the speeds are low so the risk of serious injury is low.

So why don't we have this in the U.S. and the midwest specifically, or do we have it somewhere and I just am unaware of it? Fill me in!

I'd even spoon some slicks on the KLR to get in on some of this:

Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
We've all seen the videos, and most of us realize that this is an awesome sport. Extra awesome because although the skill level remains high you can use any bike, you don't need much space and the speeds are low so the risk of serious injury is low.

So why don't we have this in the U.S. and the midwest specifically, or do we have it somewhere and I just am unaware of it? Fill me in!

I've never seen the videos. Thanks for the heads up. It does look like an awesome sport. I'd like to try it too.
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,985
this is about the same thing and happens in the US all the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DtCiqp9d8
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
this is about the same thing and happens in the US all the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DtCiqp9d8
cool. those cops were doing donuts.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

Every year the International Motorcycle Show has a "stunt show" in NYC. It would be SO much cooler and more interesting if they did this! Say, a gymkhana show and a trials riding show? How awesome would that be?

Best of all, it might encourage the kids to get some REALLY applicable skills! Any can twist a throttle in a straight line. Vision, throttle control, brake application, etc... Those are things which save lives every day.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,090
Buell did something like this a few years back, called the Battletrax series. It was tamer, but pretty much a tight course in a parking lot. The problem imo is that it often took place in Harley dealer's parking lots.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
we had battletrax here and the insurance ended up killing it.

same old story, US loves to sue everybody, we're a nation founded by mostly lawyers and governed by them as well.
Mr.Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
we had battletrax here and the insurance ended up killing it.

same old story, US loves to sue everybody, we're a nation founded by mostly lawyers and governed by them as well.

Yup this pretty much nails it. I did the books for a regional club of the Sports Car Club of America for a few years. We did our autocross events twice a month and at least 70% of the entry cost went directly to cover insurance costs. Insurance was the single largest cost even after all competitors and spectators had to sign a waiver of liability to even set foot on the grounds of the event facility.

When it is not insurance cost killing things it is the inability to even get a property owner to consider renting a parking lot to a group since they live in fear of being sued. How many pansy morons with no sense of personal responsibility have to sue a business/property owner over a hang nail before folks wake up and realize what it is doing to the country.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Yup this pretty much nails it. I did the books for a regional club of the Sports Car Club of America for a few years. We did our autocross events twice a month and at least 70% of the entry cost went directly to cover insurance costs. Insurance was the single largest cost even after all competitors and spectators had to sign a waiver of liability to even set foot on the grounds of the event facility.

When it is not insurance cost killing things it is the inability to even get a property owner to consider renting a parking lot to a group since they live in fear of being sued. How many pansy morons with no sense of personal responsibility have to sue a business/property owner over a hang nail before folks wake up and realize what it is doing to the country.
Jason F: I'l like to find out what it would take to make this happen here in the US. Would your auto club experience be relative?
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
Jason F: I'l like to find out what it would take to make this happen here in the US. Would your auto club experience be relative?
Relative, I guess it would be in the sense that I know the easiest path to pulling things like this off is to have a national organization behind you. For the auto club we were buying our insurance through the national organization which had the negotiating power, staff, and volume to work the deals needed. Buying the insurance for a small group do do this type of event on a local scale would take some serious leg work and a very cooperative insurance agent/company.

My first thought would be to contact someone with the AMA, the MSF, and the police organizations that put on the moto officers rodeos. If you can get some info from them regarding insurance and property lease/rental concerns and how they operate it would probably be a big help.

Also you could contact someone at the national offices for the SCCA and/or NASA (National Auto Sport Association) they may be able to talk a little about the operational concerns of the local events. They would not have any specific motorcycle information to pass along but I bet there would be some translation.

The SCCA actually has some good reading on site aquisition and insurance on their website.
http://www.scca.com/downloads/
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...s%20Packet.pdf
Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Excellent Jason; thanks!
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Gymkhana
n00b