User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #136
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
MadStad Screen - New Version!

For all of you who might think the MadStad Engineering windscreen a bit too dowdy for their flashy Tiger 800...

I used to be one of you. I just didn't care for the plain looks of the MadStad screen, in spite of the fact that so many had praised its performance. As if the screen wasn't boring enough, the thought of taking it off mid-Summer and running around with that pie plate of a mounting bracket all naked and out in the wind kept me up at night. Still, the stock screen was going to make me deaf. What's a hearing impared sleep deprived Triumph Tiger pilot to do?

I made the call to Mark at MadStad. I expressed my concerns. Back came the easy reply. "Oh, okay. So you want something that looks more like the Explorer?"

I hung up thinking that surely it can't be that easy. Here's what it looked like when I opened the box:

Already something looked different.

A few minutes of fettling and here's the result.

Screen DOWN:

Screen UP:

Oh, and as an extra special bonus the winglets now come in clear!

The pics are all indoors, as it was dark outside already after installation. I'll try to get some decent outside pics tomorrow.

As for the screen, I think this is a huge improvement over the original design available from MadStad. What do you guys think?

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #137
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,450
I still think it looks, well, ugly.

I hear that Camrys and Accords are nice cars, though.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #138
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
I wanna know if it works. I have a madstad. I agree. it's really ugly, but it does work. Does this one work?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #139
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Advice please: improvements to standard screen

Hello,

I have just fitted the Triumph screen adjuster accessory on my XC, with standard factory screen. To my great surprise, the screen works a lot better in the upright position, and worse than standard in the low position (my problem is eardrum-splitting buffeting).

However it's still not right. At speeds around 90+ kmh I can see big vibrations in my visor if I leave if slightly opened (and therefore not well supported). This tells me there's a lot of turbulence happening. It sounds loud from wind noise but not the painful buffeting that I used to get). If I duck my head down lower I can actually hear the engine, which is a nice change.

Anyway I'm around 176cm / 5'10". I'm wondering if anybody around my size has been down this path and got a good result from fitting spoilers of some kind on the screen. That's a much cheaper next step than getting a whole new screen, which might or might not work.

thanks!
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #140
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
I recently put the Madstad on my XC. At 5'9" they recommended the 18" per the web site. Don't get the 18" if you are 5'9. Get the 20". I have the brackets in the up position and the shield all the way up and it still buffets the pillion. It is perfect in this position for the rider, however.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #141
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,186
For anyone that is using the Triumph adjustable windscreen mount with the standard size OEM screen can you tell me how much downward movement there is from the standard mount position? I am running a modified low position on my screen and if I can replicate that with the adjustable mount that would be nicer than the current configuration I have where I need to unscrew each side and reposition.
Thanks
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #142
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
I find many of the mods to the stock wind shield visually unappealing. Anyone tre the Touratech spoiler?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #143
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
For anyone that is using the Triumph adjustable windscreen mount with the standard size OEM screen can you tell me how much downward movement there is from the standard mount position? I am running a modified low position on my screen and if I can replicate that with the adjustable mount that would be nicer than the current configuration I have where I need to unscrew each side and reposition.
Thanks
Hi there swimmer, I had that thought after I had done the installation ... "darn, should have measured it first". I'm just speculating but I think it probably goes plus and minus evenly from the standard position. If it helps I just did a quick measurement and the range of adjustment is 55 mm. However, it also tilts back. In the lower position the top of the screen is 30 mm closer to the rider than in the high position.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #144
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Touratech spoiler is expensive

Very interested in any first-hand experience of the TT spoiler on standard XC screen. It's expensive so it would have to work very nicely the earn its keep.

I'm tempted to experiment with some home-built spoilers. I find that holding my hand and the top of the screen helps a lot so it should be easy enough to emulate that.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #145
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Very interested in any first-hand experience of the TT spoiler on standard XC screen. It's expensive so it would have to work very nicely the earn its keep.

I'm tempted to experiment with some home-built spoilers. I find that holding my hand and the top of the screen helps a lot so it should be easy enough to emulate that.
I tried the spoiler on the taller Triumph touring screen. It did provide a nice quiet/smooth pocket directly behind the screen however side winds and passing caused the entire windscreen to shake and buffet a lot. All this placed just too much stress on the already weakly designed instrument pod mounting, IMHO.

The Mastad screen appears to be the favorite solution for a quiet and wind free ride......but for me, it's just to damn ugly.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #146
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
MRA for summer use? I have a Madstad, but took it off for summer just using the mount. Airflow was great, but it was LOUD. Looking for something else for warm weather come spring.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #147
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX View Post
For all of you who might think the MadStad Engineering windscreen a bit too dowdy for their flashy Tiger 800...

I used to be one of you. I just didn't care for the plain looks of the MadStad screen, in spite of the fact that so many had praised its performance. As if the screen wasn't boring enough, the thought of taking it off mid-Summer and running around with that pie plate of a mounting bracket all naked and out in the wind kept me up at night. Still, the stock screen was going to make me deaf. What's a hearing impared sleep deprived Triumph Tiger pilot to do?

I made the call to Mark at MadStad. I expressed my concerns. Back came the easy reply. "Oh, okay. So you want something that looks more like the Explorer?"

I hung up thinking that surely it can't be that easy. Here's what it looked like when I opened the box:

Already something looked different.

A few minutes of fettling and here's the result.

Screen DOWN:

Screen UP:

Oh, and as an extra special bonus the winglets now come in clear!

The pics are all indoors, as it was dark outside already after installation. I'll try to get some decent outside pics tomorrow.

As for the screen, I think this is a huge improvement over the original design available from MadStad. What do you guys think?

-Tom

I still think it's fugly.....but the looks are improved enough that I'm going to get one!

Just came back from a 3k mile trip and decided that I had to do something to improve the buffeting....this should do the trick
The Breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #148
Mindspin
Crash Bandicoot

Oddometer: 30
I like this new Madstad "Explorer" screen with the clear wings. If it were all light grey, I think I'd buy that. Maybe I should give them a call.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #149
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

i just saw this wind screen on Ebay and seems like a good price and looks nicer than most ive seen, They want 124 bucks for it.

Clear one

The dark one
Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #150
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

I think this is the same one for 80 bucks!! Powerbronzeusa web site