Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #196
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Thanks fbj. The only thing I have left to do is replace the OEM trun signals. I know the wife is ready it to be finished.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #197
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
it's not a lot shorter. I'd guess about the same.. I had the Givi.
Was your's the fixed http://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=3276 or the adjustable AF6401? I hate Givi's model numbers!

I'm trying to keep the cost of the screen under $200 if at all possible. A Madstad is outside the budget, and I can't get used to its looks anyway. Very functional I'm sure, but it has features I don't think I need. I actually do pretty well with the stock 800 screen.....I'd just like a little less noise, and a little more wind protection for bad weather. Heck, I can ride the BMW in a rain storm and hardly get wet! I think the most pressing need I have is for less noise on the Triumph.

I like the looks of the http://store.proitalia.com/triumph-t...h-screen-kit-p-
159857.htm, and I REALLY appreaciate the pictures the other fellow was kind enough to take for me! If I knew his name and address I'd send him a Thank You card! But I'm just not sure the 1.5 - 2 inches of extra height would do much for keeping the weather or me, or decreasing the wind. Both Givi models above appear to be at least a couple of inches taller....but I would like something adjustable.......I've learned with my RT's there is no perfect screen height for all speeds.....need to pick your best setting for your target speed and either lock it there, or have an adjustable screen you can adjust on the fly.....which I think the adjustable Givi has, and the Triumph (above) maybe not?
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #198
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I have the Triumph adjustable high screen. I snapped a couple lousy pics before running out the door before work this morning......
Man, I really appreciate you taking the time to take those excellent photos and help me out! Like you I find the stock 800 screen not too bad, but less noise and more weather protection would be nice. I've taken a couple of trips with the Tiger and it is more fatiguing at day's end than the super comfortable BMW RT. I wear ear plugs on all bikes, and at all speeds. Sounds like the Triumph Adjustable High Screen decreases the wind noise a bit? Have you ridden both screens in the rain to be able to judge any difference?

Thanks again for the help with the photos - is is very much appreciated!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #199
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Was your's the fixed http://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=3276 or the adjustable AF6401? I hate Givi's model numbers!

I'm trying to keep the cost of the screen under $200 if at all possible. A Madstad is outside the budget, and I can't get used to its looks anyway. Very functional I'm sure, but it has features I don't think I need. I actually do pretty well with the stock 800 screen.....I'd just like a little less noise, and a little more wind protection for bad weather. Heck, I can ride the BMW in a rain storm and hardly get wet! I think the most pressing need I have is for less noise on the Triumph.

I like the looks of the http://store.proitalia.com/triumph-t...h-screen-kit-p-
159857.htm, and I REALLY appreaciate the pictures the other fellow was kind enough to take for me! If I knew his name and address I'd send him a Thank You card! But I'm just not sure the 1.5 - 2 inches of extra height would do much for keeping the weather or me, or decreasing the wind. Both Givi models above appear to be at least a couple of inches taller....but I would like something adjustable.......I've learned with my RT's there is no perfect screen height for all speeds.....need to pick your best setting for your target speed and either lock it there, or have an adjustable screen you can adjust on the fly.....which I think the adjustable Givi has, and the Triumph (above) maybe not?
I've had both. The adjustable Givi worked until I started wearing my new Arai XD4. The fixed Givi had terrible buffeting with every helmet I tried. I love that helmet so much that I got rid of the screen rather than the helmet. I have no pics of the fixed Givi. It was only on for a few days. There is a guy that's been traveling around South America on a Tiger for some time now. (I think its this guy http://www.realizatuaventura.com/) I noticed he is running the fixed Givi. If I had any advice about windscreen it would be to bite the bullet and spend a little extra. Pretty sure I could have bought 2 Madstads by now.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #200
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Man, I really appreciate you taking the time to take those excellent photos and help me out! Like you I find the stock 800 screen not too bad, but less noise and more weather protection would be nice. I've taken a couple of trips with the Tiger and it is more fatiguing at day's end than the super comfortable BMW RT. I wear ear plugs on all bikes, and at all speeds. Sounds like the Triumph Adjustable High Screen decreases the wind noise a bit? Have you ridden both screens in the rain to be able to judge any difference?

Thanks again for the help with the photos - is is very much appreciated!
I sold my R1200RT because it too well protected, felt like riding in a Buick, with the windows rolled up. Sorry haven't ridden in the rain much, one of the down sides of living in a desert. On our fall ride down the Oregon coast we had very windy days and Jodie was getting beat up pretty bad on her totally naked Street Triple, while I knew it was windy, it wasn't bothersome on the Tiger with the screen raised. She's now looking for a Sport Tourer with some protection for longer rides.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #201
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I've had both. The adjustable Givi worked until I started wearing my new Arai XD4. The fixed Givi had terrible buffeting with every helmet I tried. I love that helmet so much that I got rid of the screen rather than the helmet. I have no pics of the fixed Givi. It was only on for a few days. There is a guy that's been traveling around South America on a Tiger for some time now. (I think its this guy http://www.realizatuaventura.com/) I noticed he is running the fixed Givi. If I had any advice about windscreen it would be to bite the bullet and spend a little extra. Pretty sure I could have bought 2 Madstads by now.
Do you think the Madstad would be that much better than the adjustable Givi? Sounds like from what you wrote in the first above that it worked good until you switched helmets.....my helmet is an Italian Nolan, so maybe it will work fine! I think I've talked myself out of the fixed Give 'screen. I'd still like to hear more about Triumphs adjustable high one (in my earlier post) however. Price is certainly nice. I have trouble with the looks of the Madstand and the Givi, with the former being more disagreeable to me. I know, I'm just being vain (and maybe cheap!).
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #202
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Do you think the Madstad would be that much better than the adjustable Givi? Sounds like from what you wrote in the first above that it worked good until you switched helmets.....my helmet is an Italian Nolan, so maybe it will work fine! I think I've talked myself out of the fixed Give 'screen. I'd still like to hear more about Triumphs adjustable high one (in my earlier post) however. Price is certainly nice. I have trouble with the looks of the Madstand and the Givi, with the former being more disagreeable to me. I know, I'm just being vain (and maybe cheap!).
I thought the same way about the Madstad's looks. But after I saw it in person and witnessed the functionality of it I was sold. And the look isn't nearly as bad as you think. I grows on you.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #203
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
No idea. By the looks of each yes it could be way different. I've never run the Madstad. I would buy one. It's popular for a reason.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #204
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I bought the fixed givi 6401dt if I remember right. I'm very happy with it. I get a bit of noise at 65+ but no head bobble like the short factory screen. Looks good too. Couldn't afford the Madstad and don't mind a little airflow at speed.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #205
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
I bought the fixed givi 6401dt if I remember right. I'm very happy with it. I get a bit of noise at 65+ but no head bobble like the short factory screen. Looks good too. Couldn't afford the Madstad and don't mind a little airflow at speed.
Thanks Rusty. Would you say the wind noise with the fixed Givi is better, worse or not different from the OEM screen? How tall are you?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #206
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
5'11 and shrinking, seat on high. I can put my hand in front of my face and feel no airflow. My visor fogged over in the last cold rain, I had to crack it open. The shoei helmet has always been loud, but much better than it was with the stock screen. The givi mounts make it very solid, no wiggle.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #207
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
5'11 and shrinking, seat on high. I can put my hand in front of my face and feel no airflow. My visor fogged over in the last cold rain, I had to crack it open. The shoei helmet has always been loud, but much better than it was with the stock screen. The givi mounts make it very solid, no wiggle.
Thanks Rusty.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #208
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
The Triumph tall one works fine for me. I use it in the full up/forward position when it's cooler or raining or on the highway and drop it all the way down/rearward when it's warmer out. I'm 5'7" and run the seat in the low position. My helmets are an Arai Corsair and a Nexx Carbon. I also just didn't like the look of the Madstad.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #209
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
The Triumph tall one works fine for me. I use it in the full up/forward position when it's cooler or raining or on the highway and drop it all the way down/rearward when it's warmer out. I'm 5'7" and run the seat in the low position. My helmets are an Arai Corsair and a Nexx Carbon. I also just didn't like the look of the Madstad.

Jim
Thanks Jim. There is a bit of difference in our heights and that would probably affect things. Making a decision on a replacement windscreen is so danged difficult! What we need is a place we can try them out, then decide what works for us.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #210
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
I just put the factory tall adjustable screen on my Tiger and with 3 small trips to work, I figured out that the lowest setting works the best for me at 5'10" and a 30" inseam.

I've only tried it at the tallest adjustment, middle, and then the lowest. I am going to start adjusting it one click at a time from the lowest setting to see what it does. At the tallest setting, the buffeting was pretty bad.
This is my set up too. I've tried all of the positions and found the low setting to be the only acceptable one. Unfortunately the air is still a little dirty and noisy. Plus, the screen wiggles around in the wind too much. No harm done, just disconcerting and a sign of too much turbulant air.

For the record, I'm 5-9 with a long torso so I sit higher than my height and use a Shoei Neotec helmet.