Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #106
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Madstad is a old school small business. Just Mark, his wife and 3-4 employees. He does everything- the website, answers phones, takes his own photos, designs his products, etc. He manufactures all of the metal parts using only first rate materials, gets the shields from a top rated source and guarantees all of his stuff.

And he even rides a motorcycle to work!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #107
hawkbox
800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Madstad is a old school small business. Just Mark, his wife and 3-4 employees. He does everything- the website, answers phones, takes his own photos, designs his products, etc. He manufactures all of the metal parts using only first rate materials, gets the shields from a top rated source and guarantees all of his stuff.

And he even rides a motorcycle to work!
That makes me feel better about it. I got a response to an email inquiry from him earlier today so that helped ease my mind.

I usually associate pages like that with people trying to sell crystals or alien detectors. ;)
hawkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #108
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I just ordered the Madstad 18" light gray. I'm hoping this is going to be my last 'farkle' for a while, holy crap have I spent some dough. Heading down to Flagstaff in a week or two, so we'll see how it goes. The OEM tall windscreen is what my bike came with and it wasn't bad if it wasn't too windy, but side winds would make it sail, and a lot of wind (we get a lot of wind) I got some buffeting.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #109
Neducati
Triumph nut

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Does anyone make a short screen that just lets clean air flow?
I realize this is an older post, but Powerbronze (a UK firm) makes a 215mm tall sports or bikini screen for the Tiger 800 in clear, smoke or a variety of colors for about $80. I just found one on eBay and bought it, and will post photos when I install it.

Here is their website:
http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/750952...MM-LONG).model

I don't care for the stock screen on the Tiger but like the clean air when I stand in the pegs, so I'm thinking either this short screen or no screen will do the trick for me. I'd like to be inside a bubble with no wind hitting my helmet, but don't want to install a barn door to get that result. I have that on my RT but it's a much bigger bike and doesn't look so ridiculous.

1966 Triumph TR6SC Trophy Special
Neducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #110
Neducati
Triumph nut

Powerbronze sports screen

I just realized there are some more Powerbronze "sports screens" for sale through the same eBay ad, so here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130676613142...WNX:IT&vxp=mtr
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #111
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
That's what I've been looking for

I agree the air feels and sounds better when I'm on the pegs. I just wonder if it's going to be the same with this screen. You've still got air deflecting off the lights and front end.

Anyone know of any photos with one installed that shows more than just a close up?

I am definitely interested.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #112
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Photos?

When do we get to see one of these babies installed on the bike?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #113
Neducati
Triumph nut

You asked for it, you got it. Bought this PowerBronze sport screen on eBay and it arrived in PA very quickly from the UK. There is a lot less buffeting and although the look is not perfect to my eye, it doesn't look too bad. The air is still not as clean as it is when standing on the pegs, but nearly so, and a big improvement over the stock screen. For reference, I'm 6'-1" tall, with a 32" inseam (so I have a longish torso) and keep the seat on my XC in the higher position.

Cheers!

Ned

Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #114
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Sold

Looks good. Thanks for posting the pics. I am ordering one. Good riding.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #115
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Madstad.

Got mine installed yesterday, but only had time for a trip down to the dealer. I took the freeway down, getting it up to 85 briefly and I felt like I had a big calm pocket, just a little breeze hitting around the top of my head. I'm 5'9" and have the hard ware on the screen mounted for shorter riders. In fact the screen is as low as you can get it. The one adjustment from my initial one is I'm going to lower the angle a bit. Set up as in this pic, the screen is a bit blunt and I feel like I'm plowing through the air a bit. I'm hoping 5 degrees less will be a nice balance.

You can see the mounting system pretty well here. Both the screen itself and the wings can be removed wing-nut type bolts. So far for me!
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #116
Deanmac
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tiger 800 Windshields

Like most of you, I too am not in love with the stock screen. I'm torn after reading this thread. I have had no problems putting on long miles with my Ducati Monster or my Kawasaki ZRX, both with short screens. The sport screen shown in this thread, therefore, makes sense to me. I'm also looking at the Triumph high screen tomorrow and would like input from those on here as to where they would put their money. The majority seem to have gone high screen but it appears it didn't really solve the problem, at least from what I have read. I can't return the high screen once i purchase it and don't want to make a $200 mistake.

I'm 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam and riding in Toronto means Multi lane highways that are dead straight but at least lead to the US border where real roads exist.

Thanks in advance.
Deanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #117
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanmac View Post

I'm 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam
Me too. I ended up with the Madstad setup. That said, I also have a CalSci if you're interested in giving it a try. It's pretty good, but not perfect. Not sure about sending it to Canada??
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #118
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
I have a Palmer that I'm very happy with. It works really really well if you are in the "give me lots of clean air" group.

Will post photos after the coming weekend. Need to take more photos.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #119
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Very recently added a madstad screen. At 6'2" or so i needed tall. The screen works great. Can have visor up at 80, Way quieter now, great except now I can really hear the bike - and realize I need to put a baffle in my leovince.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #120
Deanmac
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Me too. I ended up with the Madstad setup. That said, I also have a CalSci if you're interested in giving it a try. It's pretty good, but not perfect. Not sure about sending it to Canada??
Thanks for the offer of the CalSci. In looking at pictures, it appears similar in height to the Triumph tall screen. I think I will head out now to the shop and compare sizes and looks. Thanks so much to the others that commented.
Deanmac is offline   Reply With Quote