Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #121
Deanmac
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I mounted the Triumph high screen on Saturday and took a ride this morning. As others have mentioned, you still get quite a bit of noise but I did find a huge improvement in comfort with the airflow off my chest and head. I'm also a big believer in symmetry and I approve of the design, it doesn't look geeky. So for me this looks like the answer.
Deanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #122
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
What's with the noise?

I bought the adjuster for the standard screen, and I lowered it down as far as it would go. It got rid of the buffeting, but it's still loud.

I haven't figured out why the wind noise is so loud. I don't remember it that loud on any of my other bikes. Oh well, if I wanted quiet, I will drive my truck.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #123
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanmac View Post
I mounted the Triumph high screen on Saturday and took a ride this morning. As others have mentioned, you still get quite a bit of noise but I did find a huge improvement in comfort with the airflow off my chest and head. I'm also a big believer in symmetry and I approve of the design, it doesn't look geeky. So for me this looks like the answer.
This is pretty much what I settled on, for similar reasons.

I understand that a Madstad can put me in pretty quiet air, but I'm not sure I want that anyway.

And to me, appearance and how it meshes with the bike does matter. I don't want a windscreen that's going to make it look like a vstrom.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #124
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Bluhduh Problem solved cheaply for me...almost

Fed up with not being able to hear a Kenworth driving next to me with the standard XC800 screen. So I removed it. What a blessed relief! I heard the tyre noise today for the first time since I've owned the bike. It's possible I might no longer have ear-ache for an hour after riding if I try riding without earlplugs again.

The downside is that I now have very obvious exposed mounting brackets. Also not comfortable about the instrument pod being completely exposed. Looking for the most minimal way to cover them. Using the Speed Triple fly screen as posted on this forum could be one solution, although I'd prefer something even smaller.

My F650 Dakar was a much quieter ride too when the factory screen was removed. Rode a BMW 1200 GT with electrically adjustable screen and tried all positions - none were particulalry comfortable.

Are screens just a fashion statement on bikes? Seems like it to me :(

My winter jacket with big collar is worse than my summer jacket, so that obviously affects the turbulence. Have tried a few helmets, but it doesn't seem tlo make much difference. It's the screen, more than anything.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #125
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Fed up with not being able to hear a Kenworth driving next to me with the standard XC800 screen. So I removed it. What a blessed relief! I heard the tyre noise today for the first time since I've owned the bike. It's possible I might no longer have ear-ache for an hour after riding if I try riding without earlplugs again.

The downside is that I now have very obvious exposed mounting brackets. Also not comfortable about the instrument pod being completely exposed. Looking for the most minimal way to cover them. Using the Speed Triple fly screen as posted on this forum could be one solution, although I'd prefer something even smaller.
I did the same thing and love the change, especially now that it's finally hot up here. But I share your concerns about the exposed instruments and hope some good solutions pop up here. I have not seen the post about the Speed Triple screen, so I'm gonna go search for that now.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #126
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
[QUOTE=spacekadet;19288169]Fed up with not being able to hear a Kenworth driving next to me with the standard XC800 screen. So I removed it. ....................
....................QUOTE]

The Madstadt shield worked for me. When it is HOT, I take the sheild off and have fairly quiet air, but lots of it and still protection for the gauges. When it is not too hot, or it might rain I put the shield on and it is nice and quiet.

I am working on a good solution to keep the visor clear when it rains. I find if I put my hand against the inside of the shield just below the top, enough turbulance is caused to blow everything off the inside and outside of my face shield. Just gotta come up with something a bit more permanent.

Bob L
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #127
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,552
I loved no windshield on my Tiger, but worried about the instrument cluster. I bought the power bronze bikini screen. It's not as clean as no screen, but close enough. Sorry I don't have any better pics. I can take some if y'all want

Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #128
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_Bob View Post
The Madstadt shield worked for me. When it is HOT, I take the sheild off and have fairly quiet air, but lots of it and still protection for the gauges. When it is not too hot, or it might rain I put the shield on and it is nice and quiet.
Me too
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #129
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,468
Why's everyone worried about their instrument cluster? Basically makes the Tiger the same as my wife's Street Triple or a Speed Triple?? Those clusters are exposed so why worry.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #130
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,552
I ride a lot of gravel & dirt. And generally have bad luck. I had a new windshield installed on my truck. The first time I drove on the interstate a rock hit it again.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #131
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Madstad modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_Bob View Post
]

Bob L
I found the black plate a little short for higher speeds so I took an old shield and cut it down on the sides and about two inches shorter of what I normally use and mounted it to the Madstad base.
Works very well for my local riding up to around 65. No buffeting, it's enough to relieve the air pressure on my head and chest, I can still ride with the visor open (the laminar effect is kicking the air flow to the top of my helmet) but I'm getting much more cooling air flow to my body.

I am spoiled by the Madstad though, the normal shield and the side deflectors go back on for long hauls and cold weather.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #132
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,149
Hey gang, I'm not a Tiger owner but I'm interested in buying a used or even lightly damaged stock Tiger windscreen for a project (mounting on a different bike) for substantially less than the cost of a new one.

Anyone have one laying around they'd like to sell?

Thanks in advance.

I posted this same ad in the Flea Market...

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #133
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,007
Barkbuster Storm + Madstad???

I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam with the seat in the low position and the stock screen has been a little noisey, but not too bad for me since I am usually listening to music with ear buds. On the highway in traffic or on a windy day there is some unwanted buffeting, but not bad enough to desire a new shield at this point of farkle as luggage is more necessary. However, I just installed Barbusters with Storm plastics and it is now quite loud with more buffeting. Now I am looking at shields and I am leaning towards the Madstad adventure 18". Does any one have the Storm hand guards? Did the same happen to you? Does the Madstad work well with the Storms? This has been a great thread by the way. Keep up the good work. (800XC)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #134
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I have a 20" Madstad and Barkbusters with Storm plastics and although the Madstad being a bit ugly, ride is much quieter and buffeting is minimal. I like it.
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #135
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Speed triple screen...? Pricy tho Clicky

Did that. Like it. Would post a photo, but might as well use yours, looks the same.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote