ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,235
Food donation to an inmate?

I am a bit of a "prepper", so I have a bit of canned food, veggies, fruit, meat, and so on. Also, some "dry goods" (cereals, etc.). In short, not perishables, but storable food.

I find myself having to move to Oregon over then next few weeks to months.

I think that instead of moving that stuff, I would just give it to someone who needs it more than I do, and I will stock up on foodstuffs in Oregon.

First offer to fellow inmates, then it goes to the food bank. Maybe someone who is really down on their luck? Not someone who would just like some free food - but someone who needs it.

So, is there anybody between Marysville and Kirkland today who needs food? I am heading down to Kirkland in about an hour for a chiro appt., then back home to Everett probably after 5 PM.

Maybe before Saturday I can drop off food somewhere else - otherwise it goes to the food bank. The idea being that I don't want to haul it to Oregon as I have limited space and time.

Feel free to PM me - it gets emailed to me.

Thanks.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
classy move

Your first beers and dinner on me when you arrive.. hope you like food carts. Need help unloading?
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer View Post
Your first beers and dinner on me when you arrive.. hope you like food carts. Need help unloading?
I don't have a place to unload a lot yet. I am going to make sure the job takes first, then I will find a place. Meanwhile I am staying with relatives.

Maybe later, when I can manage to get my big stuff loaded here, I will need help - I thought I would again hire a few local unemployed guys who have a strong back (weak mind is not required) and slip them a few twenties for a couple hours or unloading the heavy stuff. My back just won't tolerate any kind of lifting, nor will the back of my son-in-law.

But that will be no sooner than memorial day - the plan is to come back up here that weekend and get another load, maybe my heavy stuff (captain's bed, mattress, book cases, tool chest, etc.) if I can hire someone here to help me that weekend for a few hours.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
if I can hire someone here to help me that weekend for a few hours.
Try craigslist's Seattle labor/move ads under 'Services' on the site. Always somebody willing to make a little extra cash...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Try craigslist's Seattle labor/move ads under 'Services' on the site. Always somebody willing to make a little extra cash...
thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I am a bit of a "prepper", so I have a bit of canned food, veggies, fruit, meat, and so on. Also, some "dry goods" (cereals, etc.). In short, not perishables, but storable food.

I find myself having to move to Oregon over then next few weeks to months.

I think that instead of moving that stuff, I would just give it to someone who needs it more than I do, and I will stock up on foodstuffs in Oregon.

First offer to fellow inmates, then it goes to the food bank. Maybe someone who is really down on their luck? Not someone who would just like some free food - but someone who needs it.

So, is there anybody between Marysville and Kirkland today who needs food? I am heading down to Kirkland in about an hour for a chiro appt., then back home to Everett probably after 5 PM.

Maybe before Saturday I can drop off food somewhere else - otherwise it goes to the food bank. The idea being that I don't want to haul it to Oregon as I have limited space and time.

Feel free to PM me - it gets emailed to me.

Thanks.

I know, personally, that the folks who run the Lake Stevens food bank are a great bunch of people.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,136
Post up a few days in advance before the move, I don't have a great back, family stuff keeps me busy most of the time but would be happy to spend a little time helping a guy that is helping others. The food is a great offer to those that have little.

Cheers CM
Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy View Post
Post up a few days in advance before the move, I don't have a great back, family stuff keeps me busy most of the time but would be happy to spend a little time helping a guy that is helping others. The food is a great offer to those that have little.

Cheers CM
Thanks for the offer - but it will take a strong back to move this stuff. That bed is mostly made of thick oak, as are most of the bookcases, and the tool chests are not light either.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,044
A Noble Gesture for sure

I too have a several rounds waiting for you when you eventually find yourself in Da Hood..

By the way your local schools would most likely love the donation as they always have some sort of food drive going on and it helps them to get stuff needed for the kids as does any local homeless shelter.

Cheers
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Thanks guys.

I wish I had thought of this earlier and got it to an inmate, but I've been busy lately and it didn't occur to me until I started to pack up this stuff.

I will take it to the local food bank tomorrow.