User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
configurationspace OP
delooper

Oddometer: 8,620
Removed 7lbs from HP2

I've been hearing good things about these new Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries for motorcycles so I took the plunge and purchased a 12-cell battery from SYCL: www.testsycl.com.

Other than shedding the advertised 6-7 pounds, the battery takes up far less space. It fits well into the HP2's battery port but takes some tweaking to get it to sit without risk of shaking loose. At some point I should amalgamate the electrics and simplify the routing of wires on my bike! But for now I'll stick with this.

I think I'll use the storage space to store some tools.

So far so good. I'll take it for a test ride today, and an extended ride tomorrow.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,353
Anderson connectors, nice! The only negative I've heard about this things is the cheesy terminals that snap off easily. Looks like this company solved the problem.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
mark sumner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I've been thinking about doing this too. Which model did you buy?
mark sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
grpweld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I like the extra space for tools idea!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
grpweld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Thier web site says the largest one they have is for 1100cc bikes & smaller!
please report Your findings!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
configurationspace OP
delooper

Right, the website says it's for 1100cc bikes and smaller. But as far as I can tell, even the 8-cell battery would function fine for the HP2. The 12-cell battery is turning the engine over without any problems. The only difference in performance I notice between the stock batteries and the SYCL battery is sometimes when the bike is completely cold, it takes two start attempts to get the bike going. Apparently the full capacity of the battery isn't available when it's cold, but it heats up rapidly on use.

We'll see how the battery performs over the next few years. If it gives me a trouble-free three years I'll consider it more than worthwhile.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
But as far as I can tell, even the 8-cell battery would function fine for the HP2
Hi,

I assembled an 8 cell (A123 26650) and it would work marginally on the HP2 in the winter time. On 2C days it would require a few starting attempts to self-heat enough to crank. You can see some tests I did with the 8 cell in this thread.

I have now decided to mount my 8 cell as a secondary battery (a sort of booster-on-board) as I prefer to have redundancy over weight saving. If I were to elect the LiPo as the primary battery I would definitely go for the 12 cell format.

You guys are lucky, 229 USD for a 12 A123 cell, all finished with connectors is a good price (160 Euro!). Can't find them at those prices this side of the pond.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
configurationspace OP
delooper

Three months later and still all is peachy.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Meeni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Don't Li-Ion batteries have a tendency to set themselves on fire for no clear reason ? This has happened regularly in the computer industry with these batteries.
Meeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
configurationspace OP
delooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Don't Li-Ion batteries have a tendency to set themselves on fire for no clear reason ? This has happened regularly in the computer industry with these batteries.
These aren't quite the same batteries. Look at the specs.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,592
This is veeery tempting. I bought an Odyssey cell last year -- ironically from an inmate upgrading to Li-ion -- and wish I'd waited just a bit longer!

Do you notice any effect of temperature on cranking power? Would you say they crank as well as lead acid cells?

Wikipedia tells me that the capacity of a Li-ion batteries irreversibly degrades by 20% per year (with a large plus or minus depending mainly on storage temperature -- lower is better -- and use). Any thoughts on this
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #12
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
The reason was actually clear. Li-I must be charged following a very precise profile. That is why Li-I packs each contain their own charging controls, not relying on the power supply.

However, if the charging control is faulty or not accurate, the battery may overheat to the point of setting itself or the equipment on fire.

I guess that in the search for lowest cost (and we, as consumers are certainly buying the cheapest - rewarding cost-cutting), consumer electronics industry became vulnerable to poor-quality battery assemblies. And that included the big brand names. I believe that this problem is under control now, at least with brand-name equipment.

The phosphate batteries, as configurationspace says, are quite different. I don't think that they contain their own charge control electronics. Based on photographs and on the manufacturer's recommendation against trickle-charging, it seems that they only contain the cells.

As far as I know, there are just a few of them around - at least compared to the billions of Li-I packs out there - and thus there is no well-known track record yet.

So, configurationspace and Carlos M, thanks for being our test subjects on that! Keep us posted.

rdwalker screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 06:20 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
configurationspace OP
delooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Do you notice any effect of temperature on cranking power? Would you say they crank as well as lead acid cells?
Yes, and I mentioned it in my first post. If it's over 5c out, I can't tell the difference between this battery and a new, fully-charged lead-acid. But if it's colder out, this battery will be a little weak on the first crank, which means sometimes the engine doesn't start on the first crank. But after that, the battery has warmed up and the 2nd crank the engine starts. I think the only day it didn't start up for me on the 1st crank, it was 2c out.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
configurationspace OP
delooper

This is my first winter with the A123 battery. On cold mornings it was sometimes taking 2 or 3 cranks to get the engine started. But I put 10W-40 oil in the bike last weekend and it's back to a one-crank start again. Morning temperatures are around 0 or 1C (32-34F) nowadays. It's a colder than usual winter.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,592
CS, how's your battery treated you over the Canadian winter?

My battery is dead, and I'm probably going to pick up a Ballistic 12 cell battery. It doesn't look like TestSycl makes the version you have anymore.

For anyone else considering this leap, the owner of TestSycl is an inmate and offers a $10 discount: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post17827388
space is offline   Reply With Quote