ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
3 nagging questions...

To be brief... July 2010;
Bought 2008 990 Adv w/ under 800 miles on odo.
Left truck at sellers ranch and set out to points unknown... wrecked bike less than 400 miles into ride, broke T-5 and both wrists.

Wreck was due to high speed wobble induced tank slapper whilst attempting to drift through a graceful curve on a desolate dirt road at 70mph... full panniers and no steering damper.

Fast forward to June 2012, rebuilt bike from ground up once physical rehab allowed.

3 questions,
Keeping in mind my recollection of how the bike is "supposed" to behave, sound, and react are vague at best since she was new to me when together we imploded.
  • Bike will still begin to shimmy at 90+ and seldom if ever at any other speed. This much I do recall from her maiden voyage: She did shimmy at the same speed on tarmac above 90, on dirt above 70. Now equipped with Scott's damper on BRP billet upper triple clamp. All steering bearings, wheel bearings, wheel balancing and truing are impeccably sorted out. Dunlop D606F on Excel A60 from Woody's WW. Product literature implies 100+ MPH dirt pace is routine... seems out of reach with the shimmy... not sure why?
  • Bike produces "rattling sound" if heavy throttle is applied below 3500 RPM. Not sure if the culprit is valve train or loose widget. Checked and re-checked widgets. It has occured to me that this may be chain slap, since her front and rear were both massaged by Super plush to "S" specs (raised), which produces more chain slack due to induced/increased swingarm to rear sprocket geometry, yet I can't quite sort out the origin. Have any other inmates noticed "normal" valve train (or similar noise) rattle if aggressive throttle is applied between 3-3.5K RPM's?
  • Have Remus Roxx 2 into 1 system and CPR Rottweiler filter installed. Much reading on inmates re-mapping (and mapping reversal) leaves a bare spot on my scalp...(much head scratching). My post re-build MPG's mirror pre-mishap notes in my fuel log. Is it safe to assume that AF ratios are then similar, since petrol consumption has not decreased then it would seem plausible that air ingestion has not been elevated towards lean?
Summary;
Head shake typical? Rattle normal? Mapping good as is?

(or)

Shake, rattle and (pet)ROLL par for the course???????

Thanks in advance for any reflections on the tango.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 09:27 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I get a nasty weave out of 908RRs on the rear of my Ninefiddy. Doesn't happen with any other tire on the rear, only the 908 does this. Wobble is worse the heavier the load, so I only use it without luggage anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,580
I noticed that engine rattle you mentioned. It's pretty subtle and I've come to actually like it. When you're in the low RPM range and give it some gas, it certainly does makes a unique noise. I find that it has a soothing effect on me when I'm cruising back roads at a casual pace. I'll be interested to hear what the experts have to say about it.

Oh and I "think" the wobble has more to do with steering geometry. The better a bike is at making tight turns, the more it will tend to wobble at speed. No bike does everything perfectly, but the 990 is a dam good compromise. I think the geometry is set up to be decent at trail riding so you have to put up with some instability at the top end, much like a dirt bike. Again, I'm no expert, just my own observation.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
I think that rattle you are charmed by is your CCTs not pumped up with high enough oil pressure and your camchains ratteling about.

Not a sound that eases me into calmness!!! The engine isn't a stump puller, "you gotta rev that sucker" as Elvis says in Terafirma.

If you are constantly hearing it, DOWNSHIFT!!!

Or at least lower the gearing! 16/47 is the minimum I'll run, 16/50 is better.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
The "rattle" is made by my 990 ('11 model) as well, and has done it since new (0.5 miles on the odo). If it's not supposed to be there... It doess it weather hot or really hot...never run the bike cold (less than 4 bars).

I noticed the headshake once on high speed dirt, it was approx. 80mph and sent me into a wicked tank slapper. She has not done it on the street, well into speeds that would land me in jail.
srad600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

D'oh!

Correction!

Currently running;
Front tire is Dunlop D606F
Rear is TKC 80

"Pre-mishap" Conti front tire needed a bucket full of weights to balance. The current D606F needs only 1/4 oz, and is very smooth until shimmy.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

You might want to dial it back a bit before you kill yourself! Why anyone is doing 90 MPH on tar with a 606 is beyond my understanding. My SE will weave a bit with a 908 front and rear on tar above 75. When it does I take that as a signal to back off. On dirt it seems to be limitless, over 80 in sand is no problem. Scotts damper on BRP top clamp.

How much experience do you have riding off road?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Ahhhh!

Downshifting does work, and makes sense for sure.

Might look into the mentioned CCT's, which do ring a bell relative to vague recollection of threads mentioning oil passage orifice diameters somewhere in the motor?????

cpmodem good point! Luggage was there during mishap (Zega Pros), and the onset of shimmy seemed more abrupt and severe with them on than current vibes.

Thanks much everyone for sharing their perspectives! Assured "rattle" is not likely to be terminal yet. Will check oil pressure/passage aspect.

Still curious if stock fuel map is safe with Remus/CPR combo?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Your oil passages and CCTs are likely fine, the engine doesn't tolerate WOT at low RPMs and 3000-3500 is exactly that.

Gears man, gears!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
You might want to dial it back a bit before you kill yourself! Why anyone is doing 90 MPH on tar with a 606 is beyond my understanding. My SE will weave a bit with a 908 front and rear on tar above 75. When it does I take that as a signal to back off. On dirt it seems to be limitless, over 80 in sand is no problem. Scotts damper on BRP top clamp.

How much experience do you have riding off road?
Great friggin question!
Take this answer at face value please;

My experience 30+ years ago... I truly could catch air straight up a vertical firebreak 2-up and leave vapor trails coming back down. Power sliding from dirt to blacktop while snickering during the transition. Any bike I had took me there and back.

Fast forward... my mojo has been misplaced. Yes I am slightly less fit, very rusty, and it shows. My mind and body seem a hare's breath from going back in time, but I honestly and completely admit my neurons are thwarted, and fear has taken over since the mishap... bluntly, I may as well be trying to abolish a crippling mental block, which amounts to trying... at the risk of dying.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

These bikes amplify mistakes. Their poise is really just a ruse. The weight betrays them and fools lulled into their spell.

Not you & me of course! No! I'm talking fools here!

Seriously, when they get away from you they really get away and where you might step off a 270 lbs enduro and get away with it, the 500 lbers will put you down and hurt you bad. I've been flung like a rag doll off mine where I usually crash my 500 into the ground while still riding it to the end. I try to ride mine at about 75% now which is really 100% cause of the weight and its effects on suspension, brakes, the Earth's rotation, gravity and solar flares.

They have lead great racers to their death. I think you got a good warning already from that first crash/injury. Just cause the tires have a 121 MPH rating it doesn't mean you should do it!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
.....The weight betrays them and fools lulled into their spell....
..... when they get away from you they really get away and where you might step off a 270 lbs enduro and get away with it, the 500 lbers will put you down and hurt you bad......suspension, brakes, the Earth's rotation, gravity and solar flares.

They have lead great racers to their death. I think you got a good warning already from that first crash/injury. Just cause the tires have a 121 MPH rating it doesn't mean you should do it!
We needed to hear that. "We" meaning the rider I am, and the rider I will never become if I try to push the 990 like a TT600 in 1884 ridden by a 20 year old (the other half of "we")

Recently bought a WR250R... it likes abuse, and seems to know what "UNCLE" means... the 990 never utters the word.
Thanks for the voice of reason, it really helps to hear others confirm that a 990 respected, is a better than one tested beyond the confines of prudence.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 08:32 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
I get a nasty weave out of 908RRs on the rear of my Ninefiddy. Doesn't happen with any other tire on the rear, only the 908 does this. Wobble is worse the heavier the load, so I only use it without luggage anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Whuut he said on my SE...
Came on about 80mph(130kph). Hold throttle wide open and rode through it .
Then got rid of the 908

sent via ACER keypad using my 2 index fingers.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post

Thanks for the voice of reason,,,.

I don't get that label tossed my way very often!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 677
I've only had my 990 for 6 months, but i've had it to 100+ in the dirt a few times and it seems like it get unstable around 90 and it gets a pretty good headshake on deceleration down to about 75, and then it's fine. I've also found it susceptible to headshake when you carry a bunch of weight on the back and when the front tire starts to get cupped. With the bike unloaded, I haven't noticed any real shake on the road.

The rattle is normal - don't worry about it.

Can't help you with the 3rd...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote