User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Oh man!

I think my Elite 150 is in serious trouble!

A not so fortunate thing happened today! I was letting my motorcycle noob friend ride it. You already know what happened.

But he has taken the saftey course and such. I was letting him ride down some old back farm roads. He was behind me, and I was on my Shadow 700. So we were cruising. There was a twisty part of the road and he went down hard!

I've let him ride it around the block before and I thought he was ok on it since he'd ridden dirt bikes a little. But I guess not yet. Like they say, its NOT if you go down, its WHEN!

Well the poor Elite took a lot more damage than he did! And I'm afaraid this time its not so easy to fix.

Well I haven't looked at it much yet. But its one of two things:

-If I'm lucky: The front forks/tube are bent or something simplier.

-The frames bent or ruined.

Well the front wheel is turned to the right quite a bit when the bars are straight. Not good.

I'm going to check it out tommorw. If the frames toast, I'm afraid this poor scoot's life is about over.

I've had some good times with this thing over the last 2 years, and some not so good ones! But lots of fun riding! Over 20,000 miles on the clock too.

Hopefully this hasn't ended my scootering! I'm hoping its simple!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
This sucks!

Find a new project to build.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,618
It may be a simple fix. Small bikes can sometimes be fixed by holding the wheel and twisting the bars until everything is straight. If that doesn't work, try loosening the bolts on the triple clamps and then twisting. This has worked on my dual sport and dirt bikes when the front end got twisted. Good luck!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
That sucks I really hope your friend is willing to help you fix it or something like that. glad he is ok. Here the best I can do for you 2.5 hours from you elite 150 for 575.00 http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2375817581.html same deal but it's an 1990 and the guys throwing in an eletric scooter at the same time. http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2340748268.html Maybe fix the electrical one and sell it for 300 bucks? here an insteasting postiblity how about an elite 250 with no motor?? Looks great If you can stuff a 250 elite engine into a 150 can you do the reverse? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2355324042.html HEres a 250 that looks like shit but has the motor http://imperial.craigslist.org/mcy/2375500188.html For fun I ask the elite 250 yahoo group what they think about stuffing 150 engine in it.

These are all the cheap elite in near you for under 700 bucks on clist as of today. The 250 elite without an engine might be bought cheap. HOpe this helps.

Ps ebay 150 frame in your state for 50 bucks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...Q5fAccessories
forks complete: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...item35b0b89f7b

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 02:47 AM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Glad your friend is ok but you did not pay attention to rule #1, never let anyone ride your bike.

Over the years, my bikes have been dropped 6 times, once by me. Wifey was the last and I almost blew a gasket. I've pretty much come to this conclusion, if you are not racking up serious miles per year on your own bike, you are not getting on mine.

I thought a scooter would be different as they seem so easy to ride but I've had 2 people drop my scooters over the years.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
Sorry to hear about your scoot. Maybe it will all turn out for the best. Sure have enjoyed you talking about it.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Octarine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Bummer! If you decide to part it out, let me know how much for the front cover (with VIN plate on it) and the title :) I've got a line on an immaculate ch150 that cant be titled unless I find a vin plate and title...
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Man that sucks, I hope she is OK.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the support guys!

Whatever happens, I am NOT leaving the scooter scene!

klaviator I'm hoping thats what it is. It seems like that happened before on one of my dirtbikes.

fullmetalscooter there are some good deals around here. If the worst comes, I can surley find something.

tastroman I think your right. I was pissed when it happened! But theres nothing I could do. I was thinking the same way that the scooter would be easier to ride. BUT I guess not.

scooterspirit I've enjoyed this forum too! I'll find something to keep scootin on!

Octarine if it turns out for the worst I'll let you know.

Yea I'm hoping she's ok! MAN, JUST when I got it running right!

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Black Sheep Radical
Fusionista

Oddometer: 94
It may not be as bad as you think re: bent frame etc. Show us some pictures and maybe we can help.
Black Sheep Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I had an 150 Elite get crashed through a large Oak Kitchen/Garage Door.

Bent the front suspension back an inch or two.
Steering bearing was seized as well.

Bike was totalled - Not repairable.

Have your friend find you another Elite ( $600 to 1200)

P.S. It happened on my birthday(1989), & the Elite was 3 years old at the time, with about 4500 miles.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter

elite 250 groups responce to 150 engine.

Re: Any reason you can see that an elite 150 engine would not fit in an elite 250?

I did the 250 in a 150 swap so I don't see any problems going the other way .
All the wires just plug right in so that's not a problem . The 150 carb. only
uses 1 throttle cable . I'd say go for it if he doesn't mind the lack of power
from the 150 engine.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Sorry to hear that dude, it's always a sad day when another classic Honda is taken off the road.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys. I THINK I have good news!

Today I looked at the shocks and front end. It appears the wheel isn't bent.

I kinda looked over the frame best I could, but didn't have time to get all the plastics off to get a good look.

Then I noticed the handlebars have an adjustment nut. I turned them to the right and gave them a LOT of force, almost all I had.

It appears the front wheel kind of lines up with the handlebars. Its about right as far as I can see. I took it on a test around the block and it felt ok.

It just might be ok! Maybe the handlebars got twisted to the side when they hit the ground?

Its really weird how he crashed. I'll kind of give you a little summery just for fun. Basically as far as I know he was approaching a curve on the road. He got kind of scared as he was going ~40 MPH. So he slammed on the front brakes and put both feet out! He failed to even touch the rear brake. He slid on the gravel into a 10 ft ditch! But he first fell over to one side [The left side], scrapped it a bit, and then went all the way over on the right. I could tell he fell to the left first as there was lots of dry hay and grass all over it.

I was just cruising on my Shadow and I looked into the mirror and didn't see him! I didn't see the crash. I kept looking and couldn't see him. So I U turned and flew back. I first saw him standing there, and I couldn't see the scooter. As I approached I looked and eventually saw it way down in the ditch on the side of the road. It was like a drainage ditch of some sort. I told him to stay where he was and went and pulled the scoot up. We had him picked up and I rode both bikes back. He only scrapped up his hand a bit and a few other scrapes and a slight knee pain, but nothing serious.

It really sucks. He offered to pay for a new scooter. If I can't fix it I'll have him help me out a little bit on a new one. I may be able to pay for a few parts though.

Yea its too bad. I'll try and post some pics. I THINK it may be ok, but I still don't really trust it fully yet. I'll update this when anything happens.

fullmetalscooter thanks for the idea on the 250 frame. I could do it if worst come to worse. But its a little expensive, I could always buy a $49 frame off ebay or something, but its an idea.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
fullmetalscooter

Well at least he has hopefully learn never grab the front brake and lock it up. Glad if it's ok.