Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Oddometer: 859
Bluhduh

If I could have thought fast enough, I would have went
for a lowside maybe my ribs wouldn't hurt so bad.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #32
Dan Stark
You can't be serious.

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
Locked on pavement until stopped -or nearly so, or a high side is a likely outcome. Different animal on dirt.

I have worn out several sets of TKC's, and loved them but not the cost. Shinkos and Kendas are more within my means now.
You can high side in dirt this way just as easily. I've been there.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #33
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
Do the newer KLR's actually have brakes now? I ride my 06' as if the brakes don't work, which they don't.

As far as the 606's go, I thought them to have nice "give" to them on pavement. They just wore out too damn fast.

Instead of practicing braking practice shifting your weight like a motoGP rider, you'll find how the KLR has gobs of cornering clearance.

And ride like the KLR brakes actually suck, which they do.

And thanks for sharing your experience. It really helps the rest of us to think about what we're doing. Hope ya heal up well.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #34
TheIglu
Louden = Fun!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Do the newer KLR's actually have brakes now? I ride my 06' as if the brakes don't work, which they don't.

I ride my '93 KLR as if it has brakes, but not as much as some bikes.

Down at the Gap, and surrounding roads, on the tight stuff, I'll trail brake the rear into the corner to keep things leveled. I'll also run into the corner in a higher gear than normal so the engine spinning takes the place of a lot of that brake force.

Try the Shinko 705's (I think?). GOBS of stick on pavement.

BTW, the KLR brakes really aren't that bad. I have the braided front line with some Galfer Green pads and that bike will out brake my Vmax with less effort. Not as good as the 6-pots on the ZRX, but still enough for that skinny little tire up front.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #35
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
I ride my '93 KLR as if it has brakes, but not as much as some bikes.

Down at the Gap, and surrounding roads, on the tight stuff, I'll trail brake the rear into the corner to keep things leveled. I'll also run into the corner in a higher gear than normal so the engine spinning takes the place of a lot of that brake force.

Try the Shinko 705's (I think?). GOBS of stick on pavement.

BTW, the KLR brakes really aren't that bad. I have the braided front line with some Galfer Green pads and that bike will out brake my Vmax with less effort. Not as good as the 6-pots on the ZRX, but still enough for that skinny little tire up front.
I've been wondering if braided lines would help much. I may replace the OE's with braided when it's time. I just recently replaced the rear pads with new OE pads. I did replace the front with Galfers about 3-4000 miles ago. Looks like I'll be doing some brake upgrades soon. Thanks everyone for the advice so far,keep it coming
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #36
TheIglu
Louden = Fun!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLickeR View Post
I've been wondering if braided lines would help much. I may replace the OE's with braided when it's time. I just recently replaced the rear pads with new OE pads. I did replace the front with Galfers about 3-4000 miles ago. Looks like I'll be doing some brake upgrades soon. Thanks everyone for the advice so far,keep it coming
Intiminators. Allows me to brake later without the massive pronounced fork dive.

If you don't have the Galfer greens, do check them out. I was VERY impressed with the improved braking they provided. I run Galfer blacks in the back, little less bite, but that's what I want. Still enough to lock it anytime I want though.

Also, try lowering your brake pedal. Less likely to lock it that way if you don't panic.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #37
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,030
I'm pretty sure I already called dibs if you sell that thing Clayton.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #38
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
I've been wondering if braided lines would help much. I may replace the OE's with braided when it's time.
A few years ago a KLR250 I had just bought turned out to need a front brake line. Going to a braided (Galfer) line firmed up the feel of the brake quite nicely. The time is now, I don't think you'll regret the upgrade.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #39
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Thumb sounds like a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
A few years ago a KLR250 I had just bought turned out to need a front brake line. Going to a braided (Galfer) line firmed up the feel of the brake quite nicely. The time is now, I don't think you'll regret the upgrade.
Thanks 250, think I'll start shopping today.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #40
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
I've been wondering if braided lines would help much.
Did that a couple months ago on mine. Tons more feel. Next step would be an oversize rotor.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #41
Honkylicious OP
sup?

Bluhduh Update:

Well, I'm just starting physical therapy. After one session of working on my back and ribs, I'm sore as hell! 3x a week, for 2 weeks. About two weeks or so after my accident, I started having bad muscle spasms in in back and around my ribs. The doctor gave me a prescription for muscle relaxers and pain killers, and PT. She said I may have broken some ribs, but I didn't puncture a lung, so all that could be done would be to rap my ribs with bandages.
Soooo.... for now I'm sitting around the house, only working a couple days a week (which is nothing out of the norm) and only ride the bike around town for now. Plan on taking a couple months off from any long distant riding, or weekend camping trips, or Friday trips to the mountains, or on vacation, fishing, cummuting to work, off roading, dirt roads......................
So I guess I'm not as well off as I thought I was, but should be 100% pretty soon. I just don't want to have another accident before I completely heal.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #42
br0m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Wink

you'll get better mate, just don't eat to much while you recover, it's easy to put on a little or lot weight when your injured and it's 10000x harder taking it off than putting it on
br0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #43
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Be thankful it wasn't more serious and quit yer whining!
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #44
dustyweasel
sir crashed alot...

Oddometer: 33
KLR+enertia+gravity= split scapula and worse....

It was a cold, dark December morning in NH. As I shifted to second, both tires ran through a (later found in the light)kidney shaped oil puddle. Lots of logging trucks up here. I did a bit of what I call synchronized pavement sliding with my 06 Klr. I loved the rush, but reality hit when I tried to pick up my bike and my left arm didn't work right. Being a typical dude, I waited 4 days to go to the ER. And worst of all, I snapped off my driver side mirror. It actually was okay. But when I started walking out in the road to get it, a car ran it over right in front of me! (&*%$#@!!!) Now I need therapy.....
dustyweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #45
dustyweasel
sir crashed alot...

Oddometer: 33
now I've crashed a .....honda 50,honda 70 trail,dt250,yz250,xl250,xr250,crf250x,Hodaka,pw80, kx 80,zzr1200,fz1,two klr 650's, versys, and just two weeks ago, my xr650l. Clearly I see a pattern forming. Someday I will crunch the numbers and take some action. But until then, I'm going to keep buying good gear and probably keep testing it.
dustyweasel is offline   Reply With Quote