User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
No Coast Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Tiger 800 Camshaft Wear

So, I dropped my Tiger off at the dealer Friday for it's first valve service, it has 13,130 miles on it. Service manager just called me to let me know five of the exhaust valves were out of spec and needed adjusting. He also said the tech told him the camshaft appeared to have excessive wear on it. He said it wasn't damaged or anything that would affect the bike working properly but the camshaft looked like it came from a bike with higher mileage than mine has.

The service manager said he just wanted to let me know and that I should make sure the oil is changed regularly and that the level is where it should be. The thing is, I change the oil obsessively, oil never goes past 3,000 miles, they recommend 6,000, and I always fill it to the top line. I use Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic, so I don't think it can be an oil issue. I don't wheelie the bike so it's not getting starved for oil.

I don't really know what excessive wear on a camshaft looks like as I've never taken a top end apart. The Manager said it's just some scratches on the camshaft. Has anyone here who has taken their engines apart noticed anything like that on their camshafts?
No Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Seventy One
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
This one of my cams at 12,000 miles but both were similar. They had some light smudges on a few of the bearings but nothing on the lobes. It was a bit more than I expected to see. Nothing that I would call excessive though. My fingernail couldn't detect a ridge or groove in anything. There was no discoloration from heat.

Many of my exhaust valves were tight at 12k. The same thing occurred at 24k. I don't wheelie it or abuse it in anyway.

I change oil at 6,000 miles. It generally burns a half quart between 5k and 6k. It's done this since new. Since about 22k, it's taken about 1/2 to 1 full quart per 1,000 miles. I currently have 28k on it.

Make sure your dealer documents everything. Got any pics of the camshaft?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
No Coast Rider OP
Adventurer

Thanks for posting, I don't have any pictures as I haven't actually seen it, it was described to me over the phone. I was supposed to get the bike back today but the shop called and said they had a problem with the gasket not sealing properly and they don't have any more in stock so they need to wait for another one to come on order before they can stitch it back up. Hopefully I'll have it back Friday, but maybe not until Monday or Tuesday.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
spotlight
Noob

Oddometer: 67
What did the dealer charge you including the kit for the 12,000 mile service? Do you haul a lot of gear on the bike? Do you beat the shit out of her like I do mine?.....this alarms me I would have asked to see and also it being documented is a great idea...
spotlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
No Coast Rider OP
Adventurer

Haven't paid yet but the estimate was around $550, without an oil change, I do that myself. I do occasionally load it up pretty good, I went on an 8 day tour with about 60 pounds of luggage, but I'm pretty light (155) and the bike didn't seem to mind at all. I also ride two up with my fiancé who is about 145 and maybe 20 pounds of luggage when we go to the beach and stuff.

I wouldn't say I beat the shit out of my bike, I pride myself in taking really good care of it, but when I ride it I ride the fucker. I'll Rev the piss out of it, lean it over until parts scrape, ride it through sand, gravel etc...

I had an issue about a thousand miles ago where my transmission shifter arm broke and I couldn't up shift, had to ride home from work in first gear. Got it towed to this same dealer where they fixed it under warranty. They said they've never seen that before so I figured it was a fluke, but now with this I'm a little worried about keeping this bike past warranty expiration in September. I like the bike, But I don't want to get stuck making expensive repairs and I don't want to get stranded since I do some pretty long rides.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 252
Would be interested in seeing your cams and followers. If you flog your engine, be sure it's up to full operating temps before you flog. Mobil 1 might be the issue...
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
No Coast Rider OP
Adventurer

Yeah I always wait until it's warm to start opening it up. When I commute in the winter I let it warm up for a few minutes before taking off.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,813
If it looks like the one in the photo then it's nothing to worry about. They are polishing marks that you get when you run in an engine.
Remember, those are plain bearings running in pressurized oil. But, when you first start the engine they run unpressurized for a half a second or so. Eventually the bearings do wear out but it'll be over 100000 miles. Get back to riding it and stop worrying.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
The Triumph Tiger 800XC does not have cam bearings. This statement has been debunked thanks to blacktiger and the link he shared. See below

akaDigger screwed with this post 02-19-2015 at 07:15 AM
akaDigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #10
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
The Triumph Tiger 800XC does not have cam bearings.
What a stupid statement. Of course they have bearings. They are "plain" bearings where the two surfaces run together held apart by the oil.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
What a stupid statement. Of course they have bearings. They are "plain" bearings where the two surfaces run together held apart by the oil.
Have it your way. When YOUR bearings wear out, you will need this.
Just ask for cam bearings.

I stand do not stand by this statement. I accept the definition of "plain bearings"

akaDigger screwed with this post 02-19-2015 at 07:16 AM
Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Have it your way. When YOUR bearings wear out, you will need this.
Just ask for cam bearings.

I stand by my statement.

Yeah, and you clearly demonstrate that you don't understand what "plain" bearings are. You'll be telling us next that the crankshaft hasn't got any bearings either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_bearing read it and learn something today.
you
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yeah, and you clearly demonstrate that you don't understand what "plain" bearings are. You'll be telling us next that the crankshaft hasn't got any bearings either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_bearing read it and learn something today.
you
No, I won't. Thanks for the link and education opportunity.

My ignorance of proper terminology comes from working for 40 years in an industry where devices with what are obviously "plain bearings" have been referred to as bearingless. I would like to change that terminology but don't feel I would have any success. I am from the US where we still measure distance in miles, feet and inches. Measure temperature in degrees Fahrenheit and weigh in pounds and ounces.

My previous post have been edited
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
Shawnspeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Why can't we just get along

These forums are an amazing source of hard to find information, fun banter and a great way to waste time at work. On top of that they are free.

$15,000 toys that need another $4,000 worth of accessories to "work" are a joy of modern times. We are all indeed fortunate.
Shawnspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
Seventy One
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Are 'cam bearings' the same as 'plain bearings'?

It seems to me that they are two different things.