User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #256
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 60
My average is 41.6.
You can see my fuel log in Fuelly under "Shadowfax".
And I have been flogging it hard running with some sportbikes lately.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #257
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
I just recently purchased a 2012 with an Arrow exhaust. I have 1700 miles on the clock and have not been able to get worse than 45 mpg. Trust me, I've tried.
It usually calculates closer to 50mpg. I have been relying on the computer thus far. I plan to figure it myself, and see what I get.

The dealer said that I had the latest tune in Jan.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #258
VMO
Farmer Warrior

Oddometer: 61
Nobody is curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Sounds like you are set at imperial gallons.
Kinda interesting nobody asked how I was getting 62 (US) mpg - mix of country, interstate and city - at 5 to 7k feet elevation in New Mexico. I just calculated mpg (US) for last tank of fuel and checked speedometer / odometer with 60CSX GPS. Speedo apparently reads about 5% high. Adjusting mileage and calculating, I came out with 61.1 (US) mpg for last tank of fuel used. Now for the rest of the story...... here are my (simple) modifications:

Leo Vince can
43 tooth rear sprocket

Other than the fact that Triumph totally screwed up the gearing on this bike, it's otherwise OK. First gear is too high for off road and sixth is too low for US interstate riding.
VMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #259
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMO View Post
Kinda interesting nobody asked how I was getting 62 (US) mpg - mix of country, interstate and city - at 5 to 7k feet elevation in New Mexico. I just calculated mpg (US) for last tank of fuel and checked speedometer / odometer with 60CSX GPS. Speedo apparently reads about 5% high. Adjusting mileage and calculating, I came out with 61.1 (US) mpg for last tank of fuel used. Now for the rest of the story...... here are my (simple) modifications:

Leo Vince can
43 tooth rear sprocket

Other than the fact that Triumph totally screwed up the gearing on this bike, it's otherwise OK. First gear is too high for off road and sixth is too low for US interstate riding.
I would attribute altitude as the main factor in your stellar MPG. At 7000 ft. you'll be doing much better with your economy vs. Sea Level ... if you don't twist it hard. I believe some experts can even calculate this?

But then, you lose so much HP way up there ... you may want to twist it
I've tried higher gearing on several bikes and never found it to help economy, especially in mountainous regions. In fact, just the opposite. But lots depends on riding style and throttle control.

Perhaps on straight, flat Mid-West roads with no head wind and cruising at 55 mph steady and a gently throttle hand ... then I could see higher gearing helping out a bit.

But for me at least, in normal riding, in mixed terrain my MPG trends down ward with higher gearing.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 11:00 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #260
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
See, now I disagree with you here because the bike is not designed to be a mountain goat and I'm able to trickle along in 2nd gear and the bike will happily run at tick over speeds and drive away with having to resort to the clutch. Maybe you don't realise how flexible this engine is??????Maybe.

This track/lane had recently been cleared and the rabbits had dug big holes in the bits that were covered in trees. 2nd gear all the way....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Yzn0Algfs
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #261
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
I don't trust the computer. My best so far is 45mpg US. I usually get 42mpg US. I'm at sea level and rev out lower gears almost everytime I pull off.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #262
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:

Leo Vince can
43 tooth rear sprocket

Why did you go down to a 43 tooth rear sprocket? Thats gonna help with your mileage too!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #263
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

Leo Vince can
43 tooth rear sprocket

I agree with you on the stock gearing to being too long on the low end and too short on the tall end. A 7 tooth drop is pretty significant though. Where did you get the 43T at? I might consider a 3T drop. My avg. mpg is at 52.1 though my last tank was the best I've had in three months of ownership at 55.2 as I think stations are starting to get filled with summer gas. Running the Leo with stock fuel map?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #264
VMO
Farmer Warrior

Oddometer: 61
Response

Answers / response to questions / comments follow.

RE sprocket availability:
Speak with Sandy at Rebel Gears. Look ‘em up on web. They can make nearly any (aluminum) sprocket for any bike. You steel guys may be SOL.

RE 7 tooth change:
A seven tooth change may sound significant, but it has to be considered in reference to the original 50 tooth sprocket. 7/50 = 0.14 or about 14% change. You can easily estimate RPM / MPH / final drive ratio changes on a spreadsheet. My estimates came out +/- 1 MPH of speedo indicated. First gear (obviously) still sucks. Lowest speed in 1st gear is 9 to 10 MPH indicated. If this could be fixed (lowered) I would be a happy camper with 43 tooth rear sprocket and 6th gear cruising capability and good fuel mileage.

Here are my (approximate) observations (6th gear, cruise):
50 tooth rear sprocket
2000 RPM 30 MPH
3000 RPM 44 MPH
4000 RPM 57 MPH
5000 RPM 71 MPH

43 tooth rear sprocket
2000 RPM 33 MPH
3000 RPM 51 MPH
4000 RPM 68 MPH
5000 RPM 84 MPH

RE elevation and effect on increased fuel economy:
Whoever posted this is correct to some extent. As elevation increases, air density decreases. Lower air density requires less fuel to maintain stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. However, as elevation increases engine power decreases (substantially) unless turbo or supercharger equipped. For example, my normally aspirated IO360 Lycoming engine rated at 200 HP (at sea level, of course) only produces about 75% of max power at 7000 feet pressure altitude (data from Cessna POH). I would consider any effect from elevation / reduced fuel consumption as a “wash”. Also, prior to changing to 43 tooth sprocket, I was seeing average of 50 to 52 mpg on display. Now, if I could get to say 17,000 feet (or higher), air density would be low enough to reduce parasitic drag, and I could possibly cruise at 100 MPH nearly effortlessly. But I would need a turbo unit for the engine to accomplish that, as well as a road at that elevation. Not to mention supplemental O2 for me.

RE 799cc triple:
A nice engine. No qualms with low speed torque or high RPM HP. Peculiar whistling noise however. Maybe it’s a happy engine. It appears to get a little thirsty for fuel around 4 to 5k RPM.

RE stock fuel map:
Engine with Leo can runs fine with (Dealer, January 2012) stock fuel map. But I am at 5 to 7k feet elevation (see above), so you people a mile below me may have a different experience. Leo can a bit noisy for my taste, although I have not considered addressing that perceived issue at this time.

Disclaimer:
Since I use this vehicle primarily as a commuter, I am looking for good fuel mileage. Forgot to mention it has 35 liter Caribou panniers for increased drag as well. Air brakes, ey?

VMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #265
Odiemann
Grateful

Oddometer: 68
help

Quote:

Leo Vince can
43 tooth rear sprocket

Are you guys saying that the speedo being off is affecting the odometer?
Odiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #266
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odiemann View Post
Are you guys saying that the speedo being off is affecting the odometer?
No.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #267
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Answers / response to questions / comments follow.

RE sprocket availability:
Speak with Sandy at Rebel Gears. Look ‘em up on web. They can make nearly any (aluminum) sprocket for any bike. You steel guys may be SOL.

I looked around and a 46T seems to be about the lowest in stock gear. Steel. Rebel Gears kind of expensive at about $70 but it is what it is. I don't spend much time on the highway so for me the stock gearing is ok thanks to how fucking smooth the engine is. That being said I'm all for getting better mpg I'll be heading out for a few trips soon so I might have try something a little smaller in back. Someone posted elsewhere that the 675 comes with a bigger countershaft sprocket so that would be another route (in combination with a 46T) and you still have the rubber dampening of the OEM countershaft sprocket.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #268
swimmer
armchair asshole

I ended up getting a 45T. I put it on last weekend. Seeing quite a bit of 60+ mpg on the instant mpg display. Taken a few days to get used to but am liking it more and more. 1st is of course pretty tall but it still pulls away with little to no throttle. Plan to do a little two-up this weekend. It's nice having some space between the gears now so shifting doesn't have to be rapid if you are just accelerating normally. Still plenty of acceleration in 6th @ 75mph and 6th is useful from 30mph. I need to pull at least two links out of the chain this weekend.

I keep detailed track of my fuel use so when I get a tank or two through I'll report back. I am expecting at least a 5mpg gain which would put my avg. near 60mpg.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #269
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Still waiting to hit 40 mpg

I'm still stuck in the mid thirties. I'm either driving in town, ripping on the throttle or doing first and second gear riding in the dirt.
Stock pipe, stock sprocket, post recall tune. I will be downright giddy when I eventually get 40 mpg.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #270
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
You can load it on yourself, if you use TuneECU freeware.
Speaking of, aren't you running the newest tune? Any comments?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote