Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #17
plonkomaticus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
At 3700km/2300mi:
Ave 6.1L/100km - 46 imp - 38 US
Best 5.7 - 50 - 42
Worst 6.5 - 43 -36

That's similar consumption to my Fazer 1000 and Weestrom, so the consumption itself is ok... just about.

But the pita is the tank capacity; really, at 19L/4.2 imp/5 US that's at least 3L too small for a decent range considering the bike's target customers.

Triumph could have put the ignition in front of the steering head, gained 2L that way, and made the tank slightly bigger all round with no cosmetic penalty.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
On my test ride, Tiger 800, I set the computer to read instant MPG (US). At 6th gear, 65mph, maintaining the wrist "locked" it read anywhere between 40-42mph. Calm winds. The only time I saw 70mpg was on deceleration as in slowing down without going through the gears.
Shesh, UK and US gallons must be vastly different

Just googled, shesh, they are. 1.2 US : 1 Imperial

So, all in all, probably about right.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
lots of variations here....

i guess 5.5lt/100km is about the average, which is quite good.

i am surprised though, that some get 6+lt/100km for speeds at around 60mph...
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
If the new Tiger 800 computer is anything like previous Triumph's then I would take MPG (kms per liter) readings and countdown figures with a grain of salt.

My 1050 Tiger fuel gauge is way off and so is the computer. I believe the Tiger 800 also has the digital countdown reading once you get into the reserve zone, right? Happy to say my 1050 Tiger errs on the conservative side.

I've ridden it way past the Zero reading (countdown) several times. Also, ridden over 60 miles with the yellow warning light on. I've not run out yet .... but I plan to soon! Here's How To Do It:

A good test to know your true range is to carry a little two gallon gas can with you and just run your bike until empty. (stay off freeways! )

Make Notes Along The Way
This will help give an idea of what the yellow light means and how far you can really go past the zero countdown or yellow light. Typically, if I fill up when the light comes on, my capacity tells me I still had a gallon and a half (US) left in the tank. (about 65 miles worth ... or more)

When checking MPG be sure to fill up the tank to the exact point each time. Be consistent. And do the math correctly please! Center stand vs. side stand will change you MPG calculation.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #21
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
the tiger 1050 has about 6lt/100km consumption.

f800gs has an average fuel consumption of 57mpg (imperial) that is 4.13 L/100KM.

the tiger800 should be in the middle, with 5lt/100km.

but i don't see that coming...more of a 5,5lt/100km...
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #22
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
After 10 fills my average is 5.52L/100km = 51 mpg imperial = 42.6 mpg us
Worst was 5.7, best 5.44.

Tomorrow could be interesting as I'll be doing about 600km, but keeping off the motorways as much as possible.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #23
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Adventure riders, as a whole, probably care about range more than than riders in general, with sport touring riders coming in a close second. We have the 1200GS with 9 gallons, KLR, with over 6. The BMW twins get smallish 4.2 gallon tanks, but they get 65 mph, some say 70. In the sport touring segment Honda STs had big tanks as did the Kawasaki C10. All those bikes have a range around 250 to 300. My little 2005 F650 single with a 4.5 gallon tank was good for 270 miles to empty. my Tiger 800 averaging between 42 and 43 giving me a range to empty of 215 at best. I am a little disappointed, when my friends 1600 cc carbed Dyna gets 45 and my FI 800 Tiger gets 42. If Triumph decides to address this I bet it will not be a bigger tank, that's expensive. An extra 5 mpg would make me a happier man. Can't they do that with fuel mapping for those that want a little extra range?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #24
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
As there is a significant drop in MPG in my observations after 65-70mph or so I suspect the bike may be dropping out of Closed Loop and into Open Loop and that the MPG loss is more then just additional drag. After work I'll download the various maps into to Tune ECU and have a look at the target afr's. It may be a case of just telling the bike to stay stoch or leaner up to 6000 rpm or so in higher load cells.

When I can I'll strap a laptop to my bike and observe the map, tps, and rpm at different speeds and can then be sure.

This is my Hypothesis as a contributing factor and not proven fact...Yet ..
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
my Tiger 800 averaging between 42 and 43 giving me a range to empty of 215 at best.
BMW R1200GS holds 5.3 US gal. Adv model holds much more.

Have you run your Tiger 800 dry?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #26
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BMW R1200GS holds 5.3 US gal. Adv model holds much more.

No, have not run it dry. My 215 number is based 5 gallon tank and 43 mpg.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #27
Killboy
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Actually, thats a valid point. I fill up pretty much near 0 on "distance to empty", and I think the most I've put in was in the low 16 litres, and the tank size is 19. In theory, thats another nearly 60kms odd.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #28
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
As there is a significant drop in MPG in my observations after 65-70mph or so I suspect the bike may be dropping out of Closed Loop and into Open Loop and that the MPG loss is more then just additional drag. After work I'll download the various maps into to Tune ECU and have a look at the target afr's. It may be a case of just telling the bike to stay stoch or leaner up to 6000 rpm or so in higher load cells.

When I can I'll strap a laptop to my bike and observe the map, tps, and rpm at different speeds and can then be sure.

This is my Hypothesis as a contributing factor and not proven fact...Yet ..
I reviewed the fuel maps last night and the stay stoch in what appears to be the cruising cells. I don't see much of an improvement that can be made. As an addational note I compared the new Triumph tune for ABS with a Standard Pipe to the original and there were no visible differences, meaning that tune ecu does not display the tables that were changed. I'd sure like control over accel enrichment....
Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #29
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
I reviewed the fuel maps last night and the stay stoch in what appears to be the cruising cells. I don't see much of an improvement that can be made. As an addational note I compared the new Triumph tune for ABS with a Standard Pipe to the original and there were no visible differences, meaning that tune ecu does not display the tables that were changed. I'd sure like control over accel enrichment....
I must say I am not surprised. If it could be done easily through mapping, better mileage, Triumph would have already addressed this. May be the T1200 will have a 300 mile range and Triumph is just giving us another reason to trade up. As I approach my mid sixties I find the mega adventure bikes to be more than I can handle. The T800 is s near perfect combo of weight, power and seat height. I will probably end up attaching two fuel bottles to the bike.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #30
Killboy
Wait, what?

I think that longer gears could help, as sitting at 5k rpm at 70mph is really not necessary, there is enough power. Sprockets made a massive difference on my Duke.....in the opposite way :)