Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #361
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi_pilot View Post
Just got back from a trip through the Rockies. Averaged 47-51mpg with very spirited driving up and down Bear Tooth Pass. My best tank was 59mpg driving through Yellowstone at 45mph. 240 miles on 4 gallons used. I've been very impressed with the mileage so far.
I am headed in that direction next week. Trucking to Iowa from Nashville to meet up with a college bud and then we are headed to Yellowstone and back.

Whatcha flying in the avatar? Hawker?
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #362
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I just went on a short trip and noted something interesting.

I was coming back home and calculated that by mileage, and not gas gauge, I should make it with ease with about 20 miles or so to spare. As I'm heading home, my buddy stops for gas and I look at my gauge which shows 2 bars and no indicator light. As soon as I turn down the gas opportunity, the light pops on. No big deal. So, switch to count down display. It shows around 35 miles to go, which at that point is about right by my estimation.

I watch the count down mode go down by increments of 1, 2 and 3 miles at a time. By the time I'm on the last several blocks, the count down is now zeroed with blinking bars and a single bar on the gauge. The bike is still running fine, but says I should be empty, however, I should still have another 20 miles or so before its truly empty. Hmm
So the follow up is, I go to the gas station and fill up. It is up to the brim on slighly more than 4 gallons.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #363
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
Just back from eight days wandering around Montana and Wyoming. Lowest MPG was right at 50 (hot day on a 75 MPH freeway), best was just over 54, and I could always get 52 without trying too hard. Bike is equipped with panniers, duffel bag, and my not-so-svelte self.

Still using the original tune, which is 20634. Anyone getting good/better results with a more current tune?
More folks here should pay attention to the level of tune they are using, it's probably the most significant factor contributing to the wide range of mpg being reported here.

I HAD an early '12 XC, with the original tune, and was getting 43-25 mpg but but it was soooo lean it would offen stall. Sound familiar Leslie??

After installing and Arrow can/and revised Arrow tune (version #2 tune) mpg was 34-36. That was not good enough for me, sold the bike and now have a Tenere.

I'd like to see more information here from ya'll abou the level of tune and type of exhaust, along with the mpg info. ...... I'd like to add a 800 to my stable but need to get 42-25 mpg.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #364
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
'11 XC ABS, stock exhaust system, tune map 20635.

Getting right around 53-62 mpg depending upon amount of city/hwy.

To me, that's not only acceptable, it's great. I have never used anything other than regular 87 octane fuel.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #365
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

After installing and Arrow can/and revised Arrow tune (version #2 tune) mpg was 34-36. That was not good enough for me, sold the bike and now have a Tenere.

Regards, Paul
With all the evidence showing that the Arrow tune gives worse mpg why would you put on on your Tiger if mpg is important to you?

After 27 tanks with my '11 Roadie bought in Jan this year I am at an average of 56.4mpg. I load new tunes when available. Latest tune (20634 I think) and stock exhaust.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #366
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

I'd like to see more information here from ya'll abou the level of tune and type of exhaust, along with the mpg info. ...... I'd like to add a 800 to my stable but need to get 42-25 mpg.

Regards, Paul
'12 roadie with ABS, stock everything. The lowest MPG I've so far gotten is both off road and high speed freeway (75MPH+). At those times, my mileage was still over 42 MPG.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #367
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
'12 roadie with ABS, stock everything. The lowest MPG I've so far gotten is both off road and high speed freeway (75MPH+). At those times, my mileage was still over 42 MPG.
Same here. I average 49mpg on the Tiger. Daytrips, the occasional commute, weekend trips.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #368
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
MIxed riding, 2012 roadie, 20634 map, stock exhaust. Worst of 42, best of 49. I'm not at all light on the throttle. Mileage may vary by up to 2 mpg when using side cases versus just using the top case.

I typically gas up around 215 miles and show 4.5 - 4.6 gallons purchased. Assuming a 5 gal capacity tank as published I probably have up to 235 miles of usable fuel on average before I'm walking.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #369
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,540
My XC has been using some fuel lately. I ran a tank of non-ethanol gas & got 28mpg. I'm using a LeoVince muffler & arrow tune. I enjoy revving thru the gears & I can't control myself. I have never gotten better than 48mpg (stock can & tune).
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #370
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Recently I compared runs with E10 petrol and "honest" 98 and turns out my Tiger does considerably better on E10.
And engine sound as well as vibrations are "softer". Go figure...
Record is 388 km on the tank and 40 km left according to computer. This is mostly highway riding, 120 to 160 kmph.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #371
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Ah! Here is reason (translated from triumph site Germany)
"Triumph models tolerate E10 biofuel

Good news for owners of Triumph Motorcycles: Triumph ALL models of the Hinckley era since the year 1990 E10 gasoline tolerated with ten percent blending of bio-ethanol.

Triumph rider can track the fuel discussion completely relaxed - ALL Triumph engines tolerate the new, offered from the beginning of 2011 E10 fuel (10% blend of bio-ethanol). This applies to all models of the Triumph Hinckley era since Year 1990 (Manufacturer's code number 2014). In addition, the use of E10 fuel does not affect the vehicle warranty.

In Germany, the so-called bio-ethanol gasoline is mixed. It is only produced from biomass ethyl alcohol previously added to a maximum of five percent. This forced admixture was doubled at the beginning of 2011, affected are the fuel that "normal" and "Super" (91 and 95 RON), while "Super Plus" (98 RON) also contains only five percent bioethanol.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Triumph has made long-term experience with E10?
Yes, we have. When we started in 1995 to sell vehicles in the U.S. market, there was an E10 widespread coverage in the market. Inasmuch as we now have 16 years experience E10.

Have negative impacts expected during long periods of the motorcycle?
No. We have in this regard so far no negative experiences, and do not expect any.

Are there any special maintenance requirements for E10 users regarding oil change intervals?
No.

By the DAT list published on the Internet speaks of E10 compatibility. A user can assume that the durability of the engine and the fuel system is almost synonymous with the use of E5 fuel?
Absolutely. With the durability of the engine and fuel system, we do not see any problems. Only the motor performance may be due to the slightly lower energy density of bio-ethanol is slightly lower and the fuel consumption increase slightly. We speak here of very small differences in the driving operation hardly perceptible.

What if, despite compatibility promise but it is damaged by E10?
We do not expect any damage resulting from the use of E10. The vehicle warranty remains of course in full force."
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #372
wi_pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
I am headed in that direction next week. Trucking to Iowa from Nashville to meet up with a college bud and then we are headed to Yellowstone and back.

Whatcha flying in the avatar? Hawker?
Yep, Hawker 800XP in Telluride, CO. Have fun on your trip!
wi_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #373
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
200 mile trip on pavement today yielded 53 mpg. Have noticed a steady increase as the engine ran through its break in period.
Flyboy52219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #374
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,540
High rpms = very low mpg

I finally figured out how some T8 owners are getting 50+mpg. If you shift into 6th gear ASAP & keep the rpms below 4k, then you'll get 50+mpg. That said, how the hell can you enjoy riding a motorcycle like that? I was totally bored out of my seat riding below 4k rpms. I did it one tank of gas (I only messed up one time) just to see if my T8 could get 50mpg & it did. I'm using a LeoVince muffler w/the quite core & arrow tune. I did learn an appreciation for the torq & ability to ride in 6th without downshifting, but it was still boring.
The rpms vs mpg is the ONLY reason I reinstalled the 16th front sprocket. I loved the 15th everywhere except the interstate. Unfortunately, I hop on the interstate almost everytime I ride so I had to switch back to the 16th. I plan to buy a 17th for long interstate halls.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #375
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
That said, how the hell can you enjoy riding a motorcycle like that?
When I want to go crazy with the engine, I have other bikes for that.

I personally enjoy the mileage that the Tiger is giving me.