Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #376
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
2011 800XC - Last tank yielded 32.04 mpg. This was a dual sport ride of 141miles with 85 of those ridden on lower speed (mostly 2 & 3rd gear)dirt roads. Stock exhaust with stock factory tune that came on the bike.

On street rides, I usually get 41-49 mpg depending on the frequency of right wrist spasms.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #377
LotusKTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Mapping

Great info here. Quite a variance in mileage.
Changing your own mapping using Tune ECU site........
Is that pretty easy to do? I haven't looked to where the ECU is on the Triumph. Under the seat I am guessing.
Buy a cable and download the correct Tune for your bike and hook it up. Anything else??? Obviously, I have not done this before. Cable from where??? I see one place on eBay that sells them. Are they all the same? Some better than others??
I just want to see how much, if any, is the difference between the stock and and Arrow tune. Performance and MPG.
Am I correct that if you have an Arrow can on it, the Arrow tune is a must to use?? Richer "jetting"??

Love the bike. Hate it when the wife keeps comparing her MPG on her Wee to my XC tho. (Dang her).

Thanks Mates.

Thanks for all the great info this site has provided.

Dick
LotusKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #378
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Arrow Map

Recently mounted a Leo Vince and loaded the Arrow map. I realize cooler temps and winter fuel may be contributing to this, but the mileage has dropped to 40 mpg. The dealer tells me everybody who puts on an after market muffler gets worse mileage......that we just can't keep our right hand from twisting. I'll be interested to see if spring fuel and warmer weather will bring the mpg up to the original 48-50 mpg I was getting.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #379
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
You don't need the Arrow map for the Leo Vince as far as I know. And the map is what destroys mileage, not the can.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #380
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You don't need the Arrow map for the Leo Vince as far as I know. And the map is what destroys mileage, not the can.
The map was load for the fun factor knowing it would devastate the mileage. The map definitely adds some hp .

I'll probably load the standard map come spring.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #381
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
The map definitely adds some hp .
I kind of doubt that - maybe just a little, but very likely nothing significant. It might make low and mid range response better, but I doubt it'll add HP high up. Would be interesting to see a full dyno chart.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #382
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Would be interesting to see a full dyno chart.
Yes it would!!!

I'll see if I can get a dyno run this winter
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #383
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusKTM View Post
Great info here. Quite a variance in mileage.
Changing your own mapping using Tune ECU site........
Is that pretty easy to do? I haven't looked to where the ECU is on the Triumph. Under the seat I am guessing.
Buy a cable and download the correct Tune for your bike and hook it up. Anything else??? Obviously, I have not done this before. Cable from where??? I see one place on eBay that sells them. Are they all the same? Some better than others??
I just want to see how much, if any, is the difference between the stock and and Arrow tune. Performance and MPG.
Am I correct that if you have an Arrow can on it, the Arrow tune is a must to use?? Richer "jetting"??

Love the bike. Hate it when the wife keeps comparing her MPG on her Wee to my XC tho. (Dang her).

Thanks Mates.

Thanks for all the great info this site has provided.

Dick
Yes, ECU is under the seat next to the battery but the connection plug/socket is under the rear seat. The cable you need is the same cable that's sold for the VolksWagen group cars or VAG compatible. And NO, they're not all the same apparently.
The Arrow tune richens it up all through the revs. Some people say it gives more go. Some people say it smooths out the power delivery. ALL say it uses a lot more fuel.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #384
OB1UK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Here's a wide range from my 2011 Tiger 800XC (UK gallons).

On a long solo ride with just a rucksack with a steady motorway speed of 70 mph, gently rolling on/off the throttle, I managed 62 mpg with the fuel warning light coming on at around 200 miles.

Last week, while travelling through France, still solo but with full Metal Mule panniers and at 90 mph with a very strong head wind, the fuel warning light came on at 99 miles - that's around 30 mpg!

It all goes to show that how you ride, what you're carrying and what the weather conditions are will dramatically influence your fuel economy!
OB1UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #385
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I cannot believe this bike!!!

I get 58-63 mpg even when riding like a Hooligan! I am at a higher altitude, so that helps... Still pleasantly surprised though!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #386
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,300
good to hear the Tiger is getting great mileage..how many KM's do you have on your bike?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #387
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I cannot believe this bike!!!

I get 58-63 mpg even when riding like a Hooligan! I am at a higher altitude, so that helps... Still pleasantly surprised though!
You likely have it set to the UK gallons. The computer lets you set "mpg" and "mpg (US)" if I recall that correctly.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #388
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I just checked, it's set to US mpg...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #389
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I just checked, it's set to US mpg...
So how do you feel about your fuel consumption now? To be honest, I purchased this bike knowing about the poor fuel consumption and I love this bike. Wouldn't trade it in just yet. In fact, my DR hasn't seen the road this season yet.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #390
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,144
I average 45 mph in the city running the nuts off of it, and averaged 51 on my last trip. Yes, that's U.S. mpg. I have no doubt it I rode it with any level of sanity on a trip it could hit closer to mid 50's.

One thing to note is the mileage got considerably better once it really broke in, upwards of 6000 miles. Also not coincidentally I'm sure, the latest map is producing my best mileage yet.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote