ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #46
davevv
One more old rider
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Just north of Dallas
Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance> View Post
you get 200 miles from a tank in tiger800?

i can't understand how come there are so vast variations in fuel consumption in t800, given the fact that some have the same average mph with others...
45.5 miles per US gallon so far. With a 5.02 gallon tank (per owner's manual), that would equal 228.41 miles. Safely within a 200 mile range. Granted, I normally ride 70-75mph on the highway and not 80+. Anyone who wants to be riding more than that over the speed limit should be willing to accept the consequent trade off in mileage. But my bike, which isn't even broken in yet, will do it.

As for variations with the same average mph, mileage will vary greatly depending on how fast you go from 0 to that average mph.

And bmwmc, you have a valid point. But the way I travel on a bike, I like to stop every 2 to 3 hours anyway for a drink, smoke, restroom, stretch my legs, rest my butt, or whatever, so it's never been a problem to fill up at the same time.
__________________
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything"--Wyatt Earp
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere.
'04 Sportster XL1200R

davevv screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 02:03 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #47
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Personally, I think the whole "range" thing is a bit overblown. I rode a Ulysses all over Alaska, Canada, and the western USA. Two hundred miles is about the best you'll ever see on one tank on that bike before the light comes on, and it's usually less. I did carry an extra gallon of fuel with me in Alaska and Canada, but never needed it. How many of you are ever going to honestly be more than 200 miles (which my T800 will do) from the next available fuel without being able to plan for it?
I agree with you Dave but I do wish the MPG were better. In the 80's and 90's we did a lot of Baja rides, mostly riding 600 dual sports, usually twice a year down to Mulege', sometimes all the way to La Paz ... and back. Typically 12 days, 2000 mile rides. No support trucks, no medical, no help.

We normally followed the various Baja 1000 courses. Our criteria for those rides was 150 mile range minimum. Baja is pretty remote and many times Pemex's are closed or out of gas. We knew that in advance.
We always did fine. 150 miles was adequate with some planning and avoiding doing really stupid stuff.

In mainland Mexico gas is never a problem, nor in Cent. America. Parts of S. America can be remote and without fuel. I haven't been in years but not much has changed. So if you plan to take your Tiger 800 there, and do the remote areas, then in a few places you are going to have carry 2 or 3 gallons extra ... and always be ready for fuel strikes!

I'm really happy Triumph did not stick some ridiculous 9 gallon fuel tank like BMW have done on their GS Adventure. Absurd. Ruins the looks, affects handling. All that said, this Tiger should easily get 50 mpg. The fact it doesn't is no deal breaker for me. These days with GPS finding gas is mostly a no brainer. I can deal.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #48
Killboy
Wait, what?
 
Killboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Johannesburg/London
Oddometer: 92
Pah, whatever. The XC is giving me nearly triple the range of my Duke, so its pretty special.
__________________
SM-R :: Tiger 800XC :: EXC
Killboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #49
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball
 
LoriKTM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killboy View Post
Pah, whatever. The XC is giving me nearly triple the range of my Duke, so its pretty special.
I agree. 200 mile range gets me back and forth to work for a full week. Getting about 50mpg here, and that's with over 1300 miles on the clock.

My Firebolt would have the light come on at 120 miles--THAT was annoying!
__________________
MDR2011 Ride Report
AMA, BRC
2008 Street Triple, 2011 Tiger 800XC, 2007 DR650, 2007 TE250, 2001 G-G280
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #50
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr noname's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
Getting about 50mpg here, and that's with over 1300 miles on the clock.
50 us gallons?

that means 60 imperial and 4,70lt/100km!!!



are ya sure?
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #51
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 415
It may be that some areas do not mandate 10% alcohol and that could explain some of the discrepancys we are reporting. When they switched in my area my mileage fell by 5 mpg(us)
__________________
__________
Jim
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #52
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball
 
LoriKTM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance> View Post
50 us gallons?

that means 60 imperial and 4,70lt/100km!!!



are ya sure?
Yep, 50mpg, US.

Yeah, pretty sure. Tell the truth, after calculating mpg for the first 4 or 5 tanks of gas and getting the same numbers, I've not bothered since. I usually fill up around 180-190 miles on the tank, and haven't put more than 3.7 gallons in at any one time. My husband is getting about the same on his bike. We do have 10% ethanol in our gas, but we live and ride up at altitude (5000-8000 feet) so I understand that can increase mpg as well. I also typically use Prremium gas (90-91 octane up here).

The low fuel light on the Tiger is pretty conservative. Seems to be at least a gallon of usable gas once the light comes on.
__________________
MDR2011 Ride Report
AMA, BRC
2008 Street Triple, 2011 Tiger 800XC, 2007 DR650, 2007 TE250, 2001 G-G280
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #53
bttran
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bttran's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Houston,TX!!
Oddometer: 107
Talk about PITA, bad choice of long rides, I took my KLX 250s to Austin and had to fill up every 70 miles!
bttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #54
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr noname's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 214
this is from a test of mixed riding, of total 2000km:



i also read that the s10 has a consumption of about 5,2 lt/100km and about 6lt/100km the multistrada 1200.

i start to get dissapointed with that of the tiger800...
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #55
Jack D
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
I can't believe they thought, during the design stage, that adventure riders would accept a limited range motorcycle.
I thought I read a marketing blurb that the 800 would have a 250 mile range. Is 187 mile range adequate? Not if you are going the 190 miles between Tonopah, NV and Caliente, especially if you want to do some exploring on the area's dirt roads or go see Area 51. And I had to go about 230 miles in Alaska one time because of out of business stations. How about Fairbanks to Coldfoot to Deadhorse? GS800 is looking much better even with the lower alternator output.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #56
grogger123
fatbastard
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Personally, I think the whole "range" thing is a bit overblown. I rode a Ulysses all over Alaska, Canada, and the western USA. Two hundred miles is about the best you'll ever see on one tank on that bike before the light comes on, and it's usually less. I did carry an extra gallon of fuel with me in Alaska and Canada, but never needed it. How many of you are ever going to honestly be more than 200 miles (which my T800 will do) from the next available fuel without being able to plan for it?
Whilst your statement may be true for the US, it is not true for Australia, if the bike is to be used for its' intended purpose. This thread is a discussion about the Neale Junction Desert Raid where a fuel range of 700km plus is required:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651134

I believe the Australian company Aqualine Safari intends to bring out a bigger tank at some stage. If you contact them they should give you an idea of when. I know for quite a few of the rides people do over here, a 300km range is totally inadequate. I dont think its a coincidence that Aqualine as an Australian company build fuel tanks that give bikes a huge range. They do so as they are responding to local market demand. Which then benefits people in other countries who want a bigger fuel range. To give some idea of ranges google the following roads

Gunbarrel Hwy, Canning Stock Route, Tanami Track, Simpson Desert, Anne Beadell Hwy.
grogger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #57
davevv
One more old rider
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Just north of Dallas
Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogger123 View Post
Whilst your statement may be true for the US, it is not true for Australia, if the bike is to be used for its' intended purpose. This thread is a discussion about the Neale Junction Desert Raid where a fuel range of 700km plus is required:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651134

I believe the Australian company Aqualine Safari intends to bring out a bigger tank at some stage. If you contact them they should give you an idea of when. I know for quite a few of the rides people do over here, a 300km range is totally inadequate. I dont think its a coincidence that Aqualine as an Australian company build fuel tanks that give bikes a huge range. They do so as they are responding to local market demand. Which then benefits people in other countries who want a bigger fuel range. To give some idea of ranges google the following roads

Gunbarrel Hwy, Canning Stock Route, Tanami Track, Simpson Desert, Anne Beadell Hwy.
Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of places in the world where 200 miles is inadequate. And Triumph does indeed advertise the XC as an "adventure bike", so one might argue that it should be able to handle any distance you would ever come up against on an "adventure" without carrying any fuel other than what it's tank holds. But I don't think that's an official part of the "definition" of an adventure bike.

Your Canning Stock Route is ~1150 miles. So, if a bike averaged 50mpg, that would mean it needed a 23 gallon tank to travel that route. Does that mean we need to build all adventure bikes with an 1150 mile fuel range? Obviously not, so where is the limit to be set? No matter what it is, some will always be calling for more.

I seriously doubt that the vast majority of T800XC owners will ever get to the places you mention, or any like them. And that's my point. Not that no one will need more range, but that the vast majority never will. If I were Triumph, I'd be designing my bikes for what I expected the majority of my customers to need. For those that do require more capacity, I'm sure there will be more than one aftermarket solution available before long.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of GSAs are ever actually ridden to places that require their huge fuel capacity. I'd be willing to bet it's well under five percent.
__________________
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything"--Wyatt Earp
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere.
'04 Sportster XL1200R
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #58
grogger123
fatbastard
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of places in the world where 200 miles is inadequate. And Triumph does indeed advertise the XC as an "adventure bike", so one might argue that it should be able to handle any distance you would ever come up against on an "adventure" without carrying any fuel other than what it's tank holds. But I don't think that's an official part of the "definition" of an adventure bike.

Your Canning Stock Route is ~1150 miles. So, if a bike averaged 50mpg, that would mean it needed a 23 gallon tank to travel that route. Does that mean we need to build all adventure bikes with an 1150 mile fuel range? Obviously not, so where is the limit to be set? No matter what it is, some will always be calling for more.

I seriously doubt that the vast majority of T800XC owners will ever get to the places you mention, or any like them. And that's my point. Not that no one will need more range, but that the vast majority never will. If I were Triumph, I'd be designing my bikes for what I expected the majority of my customers to need. For those that do require more capacity, I'm sure there will be more than one aftermarket solution available before long.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of GSAs are ever actually ridden to places that require their huge fuel capacity. I'd be willing to bet it's well under five percent.

I suppose the range required depends upon the market. I agree that a lot of people in Europe and North America are unlikely to ever ride in conditions similar to those that predominate in the remote areas of Australia. So I dont disagree that in those markets a 300 km fuel range is perfectly adequate. In Australia however, that is not an adequate range if you have any aspirations to go off the tar. Obviously Australia is such a small part of Triumph's market it is uneconomic to build a bike that is ideal for here.

I am certainly not proposing that they build bikes with a 1800 km fuel range. The people who do the Canning Stock Route arrange fuel dumps, but they still need a big range between fuel dumps. The ride reports in the Australian forum will give you some idea of the conditions here. So my point was not that 300 km is per se inadequate, but inadequate for Australian conditions. Which is why Aqualine will develop a tank to meet the demands of the market here. I have no doubt Triumph agree with your point about the needs of most of their market so have built a bike to suit.
grogger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #59
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Clearly those getting 50 mpg are happy with fuel consumption and range, as I would be. My last tank was 41.6 mpg and I am not happy. Of course I added the boxy Triumph luggage, but before the luggage I was only getting 42-43 mpg.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #60
Smallj
Dirty Traitor
 
Smallj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Franklin Indiana
Oddometer: 8
At 1600 miles I'm getting pretty close to 50 mpg (us). Trip computer says 46+ but actual is closer to 50. It helps that I am 5'4" and 135 lbs.

My last fillup was 220 miles and the bike took 4.4 gal. Trip computer says I had 5 miles left but it seems to have missed that last half gallon.
Smallj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014