User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
XR650L Smog Removal DIY Video

I finally got around to editing and uploading a video I created on how to remove the smog stuff and install a IMS block off kit. It's a very straight forward modification but the consensus lately has been that the current popular instructions on 4strokes (and most others) have a mistake. Most of them say to remove the charcoal canister but the piece they are referring to is actually the oil separator. Some guys that have removed this have issues with oil getting into places it shouldn't, so I'd suggest leaving it on. It doesn't seem to make a performance difference anyway and it's not like it weighs a lot.

The charcoal canister is actually located near the lower front left of the engine (hose from your gas cap connects to it). Only California models have them so it's just one less thing for you to take off if you have a non-CA XRL.

Anyways, I hope this video helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5yfdJnmsE

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Nice job Mike.....well put together,it`s about time someone put a how to video up of this with the knowledge that the oil separator is NOT a charcoal canister........why anyone thought that was a charcoal canister when one hose is the crankcase vent hose is beyond me

Very well editted too by the way

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
You did an excellent job, Mike! Thank you for sharing the knowledge you gained. I'm sure new XR650L owners will benefit greatly from your superbly edited video!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys All done with a iPhone 4

Mike B
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thanks for posting that video. Just followed it and had no trouble removing the smog stuff on my xr650L. Just great to have some of the confusion cleared up from some of the other sources of smog removal on the internet.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Great, I'm glad it was helpful

Mike B