Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
sam104535 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Brand new 2011 bike. Did not know about warranty getting issue!!!!...shoot...there goes the unigo idea. Thanks for sharing.
sam104535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
sam104535 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How about a sidecar setup - will that void the warranty? Curious
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam104535 View Post
How about a sidecar setup - will that void the warranty? Curious
No!

I would only say that it should be set up and installed by a reputable Hack company.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,598
To actually answer the OP's question, my JRT rides in my topcase with me much of the time. I cut a hole, and used a couple of bungie buddies inside the box, with a couple of straps clipped to his harness. He dearly loves to go, and is in no more danger than unbelted in a cage.

I use a std BMW RT topbox, with a hole about 7" in diameter. The edge of the hole has a 1/2" hose slit lengthwise covering the edge. He weighs about 15 lbs, and stands about 15" at the shoulder.

He is good for at least 150 miles at a crack, and hot weather occasionally requires a stop for a dampening down. He is able to lay down inside the box, but I have never seen him pull his head in. He might miss something.

Using a topbox keeps the dog(s) from being a distraction to you. You will have some strange reactions from other drivers on occasion, though.

If bringing your dog(s) along gives you both pleasure, do it. Just make sure they are not in a position to distract you.

You guys that want to bitch about it are not thinking about the inherent dangers of what we do in the correct light. You don't have to do it.........But why shouldn't someone else?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,853
Sorry no pictars.
My lady friend brings her monkey along every ride. So yes!
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,855
Uh...............

nope!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #22
sam104535 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

4wheeldog - would love to see a pic! I can see where other guys are coming from. When I thought about it the first time, my thoughts were along the lines of:
1. Am I crazy to even consider it?
2. Am I prepared mentally to accept the risk and living with the associated guilt if something were to happen? I basically have my wife's, my yorkies and my own life in my hands...that's a lot of responsibility to shoulder. I am taking my time and rationalizing daily. And whatever the approach, the decision is going to be unanimous between wife and I.

Since our 2 boys have grown and have their own families now, the yorkies are like our kids and I would not put them in harm's way intentionally. But then again, I love motorcycling and they love the outdoors. Should not have to give up one love for another, and cannot leave them with dog sitters for weeks on end. So, I started looking at possible solutions with max safety for the little ones in mind. Thus my inquiry and reason for this thread.

It might come down to getting a spyder with the wife riding it or a sidecar - both options remove the tipping risk. The cagers will always remain a risk..even as I walk on 2 feet.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #23
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 956
Sam,
I have a Boston that I think would love to go along. My idea was to make rectangular spacer out of welded screen or something found here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=cc0p5j
that would fit between the pannier and the lid, raising the lid by 6" or so. Using matching stock latches, you would be able to remove the lid, latch the extension to the top of the bag, and latch the lid to the top of the extension.

John
portablejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #24
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick View Post
I saw this little guy up on Mt. Palomar a few weeks ago.

Add a nice RV close sunroof dome and this might be real sweet. Or once of those round van windows. The RV sunroof can be cranked open on the hot days. The only thing you might consider is mounting it so it opens to front instead of to the back. You will block the wind so it should ok. And no swirling rain and crap will come in from the rear.

or

They make these as small as 14 x 14". This on the top of a Jessie 35 Pizza box, and side vents. and you have a reasonable top pet carrier. Here is a link to see more of Jesse top boxes. The Pizza is shallow, but they make much bigger. So you could have a huge box back there with an RV Vent.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #25
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,643
All that being said. The Yorkie might just drop dead from fear. But it could be done. The 35 liter Pizza box is 7" tall. Add the skylight and thats all the head room a Yorkie should even need. The 45 Liter Pizza Top box is like 12". More then enough head room. The dome adds a few inches. And lets them see you and the sights.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
NewSuz
Old coot on scoot

Oddometer: 159
Man, that dog's head sticking out of the top-box really bothers me. Looks like it's decapitated already. Put a dome or cage or something over it.
then there you jolly-well are,
aren't you?
---Lord Buckley---
NewSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
All that being said. The Yorkie might just drop dead from fear.
I love my dog dearly (as I am sure all of us do), and I would hate to be away from him for such an extended amount of time. But for my dog, taking him would be selfish. He would HATE it - and likely drop dead as mentioned above. Seriously, it would mentally scar him - assuming he didn't have a heart-attack. I just couldn't do it to him.

Love 'em and leave 'em rings true for me.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #28
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
You're going to be on the road for weeks & months at a time with two lapdogs , yeah?
Hmm, where are they going to sleep at night?
You cant just leave them in the panniers or tied up to the bike overnight,other dogs or raccoons etc. would kill them.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #29
sam104535 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All good comments. The one comment that I can relate to is the "dropping dead from fear". It is true that yorkies are quite finicky and noise does bother them. Constant wind noise even if they are shielded by my body and pillion given the top box approach might be a bit much for them.

As I mentioned we are still planning/assessment stage, so I think I will take them on short rides in town to see their behavior. Also will seek vet's advice on this. During 2 hour ride to the cottage on the weekend they love being in the Jeep TJ with the top down, so they have been exposed to the wind and noise. They have not shown signs of stress. But then again, they are either always next to me or my wife depending on who is driving.

On the bike they will not have that human touch which they crave so much. Maybe a sidecar with the wife with them would be an approach to consider. Will miss the lean and all but if that's what it takes....as long as I can disconnect quickly and hit the dirt for a bit, it can be a viable solution.

BTW when we travel we are not roughing it all way...camping, motels etc and riding maybe 3-5 hrs every 2 days or so. Our activity would be hiking, camping, kayaking etc....no rush....easy riding and taking in whatever we can.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
No!

I would only say that it should be set up and installed by a reputable Hack company.
Actually yes, except for certain Harleys, and obviously Ural.

The big 4, BMW, Triumph and others will void the warranty if used with sidecars, trailers, rental or commercial use. Some dealers will look the other way, best to ask before mounting a hack or towing a trailer.

Also most dealers wont touch a bike with a sidecar installed, they are not equipped with double lifts, the sidecar can add many hours to service and repair work on some bikes, and the liability issue if they screw something up, few dealers know anything about them.

Most folks who have custom built rigs remove the sidecar to take the bike to their dealer.