User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #46
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Sidecar, the way to go

We build a lot of sidecar bikes for the R1200GS, Many are for dogs. For me this would be by far the best way to go. My own dog has been riding in sidecars for all of his 11 years and knows that it is his sidecar. If you are going to do any gravel roads it is a much nicer ride as the bike no longer falls over and as such you can pick up the pace a lot more then you would with out the sidecar. For your long trips, there is a lot more space to pack! Things that would be on your wish list to have with you no longer have to be as you have lots more space. Much better then putting your dogs behind you in a trailer with the exaust pipe aimed at them. The ride will be much nicer for both you and your wife with the sidecar as with out a passenger on the back of the bike there is more room for both you and your passenger to move around. My wife can also ride the GS which there is no way she could with out the sidecar as she would not be able to touch the ground. This works out good for pounding down the miles as we can trade off. Set up right, sidecars are a blast to ride, Set up wrong, they are anything but. Set up with an automotive wheel and tire on the rear of the bike you now have a 30-40,000 mile tire which if you are on the road for a couple of months is really nice. There is real good information on this site in the Hack'd section including photo's of our recent build of an R1200GSA with our M72DX sidecar and one of an F800GS with our M72D sidecar.
If you are not sure about sidecars, why not take a class? www.esc.org sidecar bikes are provided. Adventure sidecar www.adventuresidecar.com is also doing a "Tipi" tour which would give you a week or so on a rented sidecar bike along with sidecar training. If you are located any where near us I would be glad to take you and your wife out for a ride in a sidecar.
Jay
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #47
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861

doxiedog screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 03:09 PM Reason: first year with freckles,my new doxie
doxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #48
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
13yrs,with gidjet.

doxiedog screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 03:12 PM Reason: 1 1/2" foam over carpet in crate"
doxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #49
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahmule View Post
US made option for tail section might fit two small yorkies.

http://www.t-bags.com/detail.aspx?ID=57&SelectedCat=3
Just got one of these...best damn solution I've found...the dog is safe, out of the direct wind but well vented, comfortable, the mounting is solid, quality excellent. If the bike goes down....as long as the carrier is not impacted...the dog will be fine as it's secure enough and made of ballistic nylon.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #50
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 404
Windmill, loved your post. When I first started to ride in March 2008, I had double dilemma. Jake, my older lab, was a veteran from my soft top Jeep days. Hannah, his adopted sister, not so much - she had originally been a handful. Today I live with the belly ache memory of losing Jake in Sept 08 (just four month's shy of his 11th bday) and enjoying the amazing growth of Hannah into the "big" dog role. Regardless, it has always been hard to leave my four-legged buddies behind. But wih bigger dogs in my family, bringing them along short of a hack set up had been impossible. OP, hope that you find a workable and safe solution. Once I am healed enough to ride again, I will continue t o work to devote enough time to Hannnah to make up for the time I spend without her. After months of being sidelined, though, it will be a helluva debt to pay.
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #51
D R
----

Oddometer: 472
If you go with a top case solution, regardless of the configuration you choose, before placing your dogs in it, go for a long ride on a hot day and measure the temperature inside the case, just to be certain. Also, given the size of your yorkies, perhaps you can rig up a mount inside the case to hold one of those large guinea pig water bottles.
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #52
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 712
The only pet I would take is a chicken. I can eat an egg for almost every breakfast but I am not to keen on eating dog.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #53
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I have a JRT that rides circles in the yard on my fuel tank of the KLX650R and the only time my brother has seen him happy/slash still was when he hauled him home on his dirt bike, yes he is a rescue from being dumped in the middle of no place and Baxter (the JRT) hates being away from his people and the wife and I are kidless so I get parts of it. My thoughts as a sidecar owner is find, beg, go to school, do what it takes to get a look and a ride in a sidecar, I plan on taking Baxter on short runs if he seems to like it since he loves car rides.

Sidecars are fun and I take the Ural Retro places that I would not even think about taking a two wheeler with the wife on the back and she just smiles from her nice seat as she tells me she will not be digging when I get stuck.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #54
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Not too long ago I passed a guy on a Harley with a Pomeranian standing on the pillion with it's front legs on the riders back. The dog had goggles and a Harley leather vest. They were running 70mph down the slab. I don't know if the dog as tethered or not.
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #55
frankz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
yep.. she loves it

we have goggles and a better seat belt now.. i dont like the (chain to bike thing) i just do like tandom parachuting.. vid is a bit old we have done many 100mile runs.. and looking to do a much longer one in a few weeks but i just dont like the idea of unknown roads and such
http://youtu.be/xp4spycRT7k
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #56
Girlinagale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
No different than if you ride with either your child or spouse. There's that added level of responsibility when riding two-up regardless of who or what the pillion is.
This is the best point about carrying a dog. I would not think twice about a pillion rider, only be careful of their comfort and safety. A pillion would be just as vulnerable as a dog, aprt from a dog is usually harnessed in to a tank bag and so would not be thrown clear in an accident.
I take my dog in a box on the rear carrier of my bicycle, have done for years and many happy miles, but she's not tethered to the box or bike. On a forest track, going fast she was thrown out when I went over a bump and landed on all fours, luckily. Another time when she was on heat she leapt out to meet another dog passing by.
I am preparing to take her now on a BMW R65 and have a rucksack which is wide enough to house her between my legs, resting on the tank. I'm thinking a large tank bag will be more suited because I can put her into it before I get on. It would then be a hassle at the petrol station.
'Loba' is a cairn terrier, rescued from the Canary Islands and sailed alone with me back to Britain (apart from having to enter Britain by public transport, that's the law), we've done thousands of miles together. She would much prefer biking to sailing because I can stop and let her pee and meet other dogs. Sailing is a crazy and relentless affair (I sold the boat and bought the R65 instead). Loba weighs 9kg, so it may be OK. We'll see.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #57
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,517
Here's a thread about a couple that brought their little 15lb dog from California to Alaska on the back of their GS: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346782

Their dog Chewy is standing on the pannier and my dogbrother Comet is the one being held.

A cute photo of the 2 of 'em with Chewy's travel quarters. Good times. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 02:24 AM
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #58
garbagekid0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
garbagekid0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #59
amycyclenut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I have a little dog, 7lbs miniature pinscher. Carpet in the the bottom of the crate for grip.

1974 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #60
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
I feel the same way about Animals as I do with Kids.
The big difference between and older child/spouse vs an animal or a young child, is the difference in their understanding of what could happen to them in a worse case scenario.

If they are capable of fully understanding that they can be crippled or killed and able to make the choice for themselves = fine.
I for one would never want the responsability of making that choice for another human being or animal that can not understand the risks.
I love my Dogs/cat too much to even think about what could happen to them in a M.C. accident (taking them out in the car is risk enough the way all these assholes on the roads drive today).

Imagine fluffy/junior getting ejected and mutilated in an accident. (the animal/young child trusts you to make the right choices for them)

Hopefully the above response is "Mature" enough for you. Are you Mature enough to face the consequences of your choice? (food for thought and not meant to be antagonistic in any way)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote