Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #136
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbuckrider View Post
Nice scoot! I bought one myself a couple of weeks back, and I'm very impressed with it.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #137
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
As a former, and maybe future, owner...I'd recommend the Burgman.

And, unless you're doubling up, the 400 is a good choice. Plenty of power on tap...I'm 250 pounds and I could easily keep up with traffic. Plenty of storage space; and rode-manners are better than any bike with 13-inch wheels has a right to have. And fuel mileage - with reasonable throttle, I was getting in the high 50s. Cruising at legal speeds, I'd get in the low 60s.

And, speed? I took it on a trip from Northern Michigan to Northeast Ohio and back...in the general Detroit area, I couldn't avoid freeways. I averaged 80-85 mph for about five hours straight, in 90-degree temperatures.

Now, keep in mind, it's not designed for that - as I learned. No, the tires didn't let go. The bearing set on the variator did; and later the front wheel bearings. But it didn't overheat, and it didn't fail.

But, take it all around, the AN400 Burgman is a good all-around choice; and with the huge storage area, a passable touring scooter.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #138
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbuckrider View Post
Add on a towball and you can do almost anything that the Goldwing crowd can do- but are using a motor 2.7 times bigger, and with FOUR more pistons as well.

The rig used by Jake in Australia who's hauling;
  • a Trailer weighing 80 kgs (176 lbs)
  • Computers
  • 3 gallon gerry can
  • 200 amp hr battery pack
  • Portable stove
  • Folding chair (padded)
  • Clothes
  • Spare helmets
  • Winter and wet weather gear
  • Thermos and food
  • TV and DVD Player
(So, we are talking about touring, are we not?)
Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #139
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I've been out on the Burgman this weekend and I can't imagine myself needing more than the Burgman offers for touring. I am amazed at the balance of the big scoot, the ease with which it corners, the planted feel even on freeways with wind present. I'm completely happy with the job the OEM windscreen does, especially when coupled with ear plugs (which I wear normally.)

I readily admit that I haven't tried a very wide range of scooters. I started riding a Vespa 150 seven years ago, then went to a GT200. Since then I have ridden the GTS250, MP3250, and MP3 500 plus a couple of vintage scooters. All from the Piaggio family, and all with their own features to offer.

My last trip (on the GT200) had me wanting better wind protection, a heavier scoot, and a little more power in the hills. If did the same trip all over again on the Burgman, I think it would have been fantastic!

Really enjoying my Vespa for local and day riding, but am looking forward to taking the Burgman out for a long ride to put it's touring capabilities to use!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #140
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
First ride observations

This morning my sent us out on a ride so we could go shopping later. This was my first chance to ride the scoot for something other than work and back. I chose a route that is some of my favorite roads and has diversity. On the hwy. I find the buffeting around my helmet is more than what I care for but no worse than the Riva at speed. Generally the ride quality is smooth and stable. When riding through an industrial area with a lot of truck traffic I do find the suspension is very taught, wash boards are transmitted strongly but it does not make the bike feel like you have any less control.

I will miss the feel of hanging it out there while riding within speed limits on the twisty canyon roads I got from the Riva. The Burgman just swallows them up no muss or fuss. I find I need to watch my speedo, speed just keeps getting away from me. My little forays of lose gravels in turn offs to take pictures had no elicited surprises ether in or out of it.

I was surprised to find that the power button actually worked. It gave me a bit a start when I pushed it and grabbed the throttle. Something I will have to get use to is shifting in and out of manual when using manual for overdrive. I did find that 50 Mph. is the slowest I want to ride in 6th. Twice I stopped without shifting out of manuel you run out rpm quickly. I look forward to not having to look at my left hand do do any of the plethora of things at your fingertips.

All in all the new scoot is a very relaxed riding experience I look forward to burning some miles.

P.S. When I got home my wife informed me that she thought we were going on a short ride. My daughter informed her that 3 hours was a short ride.

There are pics and a few more thoughts on the board I originally posted this report. http://www.yearroundriders.com/forum...showtopic=7284
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #141
rulis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Bmw c650 gt

Looks like a proper alternative to Burgman 650

rulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #142
gizmo309
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulis View Post
Looks like a proper alternative to Burgman 650

Looks like that back tire can be changed without removing the exhaust etc. These do really look nice- it will be interesting to see what price they come in at.

Bob
gizmo309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #143
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The BMW's look nice, I'm a bit worried about their recent reputation for less than sterling reliability, so am a bit of the "Wait & See" philosophy on those.
Also you can pick up a new burger exec under 10k, a used exec under 6 if patient (been watching one & plotting for a bit..) I have my doubts the BMW will be priced in the same range
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #144
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Yep, I also don't understand the fascination with sitting on 85mph (130kmh) all day, which seems to be an obsession with many of your southern neighbours.

For me, I'm happy enough to put in 1,200km (750 miles) days, day after day, but riding at night is a no-no (due to risk of hitting animals) as is higher speeds. On any bike (or car), 60mph is the sweet spot for fuel consumption and once you start going much faster than that your fuel consumption rises exponentially - not a problem I guess if you are only paying US$3.50 per gallon but the majority of the rest of the world is paying at least double that.
I have found that when travelling in the US on the Interstates that 65 mph is the sweet spot if I want to make time over a long distance; regardless of the size of machine. I have done many tours of the West and I commonly find that gas stations can be quite some distance from the highway. By the time I drive off the highway to the station, line up, prepay for the gas, take care of the necessary and wind my way back to the highway I have used up considerable time.

With the exception of my 1000 V-Strom which has a 22 L tank and a tall sixth gear overdrive lope; the faster I went; the SLOWER I went when more frequent gas stops were factored in. 65 mph is also the comfortable cruising speed of my Citycom, which means I have probably bought my last big bike.

I wouldn't mind having a 400 Burgman or MaxSYM for camping touring. For now the 1000 V-Strom will have to do. Yeah, it's a tough life I know. LOL
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #145
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post
Hi all.

I'm new to this forum and have been thinking about a maxi-scoot for touring.

I recently drove to the Canadian Rockies and crossed some mountains which had rather steep descents. I had to switch to "manual" on my car to utilise engine braking going down some of them.

One of the biggest questions I have about touring on a maxi-scoot: do you get engine brake going down the steep stuff?

I used to ride a modern Vespa 150 in an urban environment, and got some engine braking when I blipped the throttle. But I don't have the experience of rushing down a mountain.

Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks!
Be thankful you weren't going down those same hills in the Canadian Rockies on a 1972 Suzuki GT750 triple two stroke, a 560 lb motorcycle with no compression braking and drum brakes. It was memorable.

When I got my SYM Citycom 300 I found the front brake to be somewhat soft and not as effective as the rear. It was safe enough, but not what one would want. When I replaced the front pads with EBC organic pads the braking was transformed. The non linked braking is now solid and strong and well matched to the tear.

If braking is a concern, there are few bikes that can't be improved drastically with a simple upgrade in pads.

I find at highway speeds on the Com just rolling off the gas slows things down unless I'm on a hill where the bike will usually just maintain it's speed. At lower speeds on very steep grades I notice the lack of a manual tranny to slow things down but due to the lower speeds the brakes don't have to work that hard to take care of business.

With stock peach pit pads, braking was an issue. With good pads it isn't.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #146
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Yeah, it's a pure road bike, I guess no sport-bike likes gravel, so Tmax
should be no exception. I had a 150 mile ride on my ER6F today, one
of my usual weekend rides.. but this time it was different - i ran out of
asphalt at 55mph.

Unmarked road constructions!

BOOM! No pavement! No warning!

Thankfully the gravel was already packed up rather well by trucks, but
it was an interesting decelaration from 55 to around 25mph at which
speed I could let the bike 'float' over the bumps just barely holding the
handlebars.

ABS came in handy too. It didn't activate, but I felt more confident in
using brakes at all.. (I rely on it so much, I don't know how I'd ride a big
bike without it now).

Anyways, back to Tmax stuff!
No warning!!!!!! Oh yeah I know that feeling. Early one Sunday morning I was riding my KZ750 to work from Nanaimo on Vancouver Island to Parksville. I came whistling around a corner at Nanoose Bay ( where they test the subs ) at an ahem.... brisk pace and all of a sudden I was flying through the air, the road had disappeared. Now I don't pretend to be an off road rider but it's amazing what a little panic can do.

I managed to get the bike stopped at the edge of a big pit that was full of cars!!!!! I recall a VW Beetle for one.

Very strange.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #147
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Extremely short ride report: I love this bike! So far, I am following the break in requirement of keeping it under a constant 4000 rpms. It is quick if you let the engine up to 6000 rpm. Redline is 8250. I've done a few short acceleration bursts but not more than half throttle. Once broken in, it should fly.

Much faster than the Agility. Very comfortable ride. Feels very substantial. Two gloveboxes in the fairing and a large underseat storage compartment that is lined, lighted and is roomy enough to easily swallow a full face helmet and jacket. At least twice the storage capacity of my Agility. Cornering is excellent, it loves to turn and is rock solid in the twisties. Everything on the bike feels very high quality. You could easily slice and dice thru traffic on one of these. Its handling reminds me of a cross between my WeeStrom and my Gixxer 1000. And that is a compliment.

Here are some pics:

[IMG]Yamaha Tmax[/IMG]

[IMG]Tmax cockpit[/IMG]

[IMG]Tmax dashboard[/IMG]

[IMG]Yamaha Tmax[/IMG]

[IMG]Yamaha Tmax[/IMG]
When I went shopping for a scooter the T-Max was the first machine I looked at; a low mile used one. That kind of sporty handling was exactly what I wanted. All was sweetness and light until I sat on it and found my knees and the bars occupying the same real estate. Now looking at your bike I'm wondering if I can shorten my legs.

Who needs feet anyway?

It's a good thing I'm happy with my Citycom. That was a case of finally finding a bike that I fit on.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #148
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
I have found that when travelling in the US on the Interstates that 65 mph is the sweet spot if I want to make time over a long distance; regardless of the size of machine....
Pretty much my attitude, slower works great for touring, even day trips really. I get around 55-60mpg if I keep the 650 @ 60 or below & have yet to get a ticket for not going 85 in a 55 zone.
At that rate I get a very solid 200 mile range with enough reserve to say "whoops" & cut back if I miss a stop.
Sure some folks pass me, but that's their trip not mine. Of course if I do want to burn the gas a bit in the twisties on a North Cascade Loop the 650 is more than up to that as well.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #149
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Interesting read. I just finished reading all of this thread. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I'm torn between the Burgman 650 Exec and a Honda Silver Wing ABS. I'm going to take a look at the SW tomorrow. Its a 2005 with 5100 miles on it and a price tag of $3800 - just broke in. The Burgman is a 2008 with just under 4000 on the clock and a price tag of $5400 OTD. I've already rode the Burgman - I'm quite impressed with the power and handling. Whats not to like? From everything I've read in this thread I should expect the SW to be about as agile and as fast - not that speed and handling are the only criteria - but it is important. OK - that doesn't make it easier to choose between the two.

I'm downsizing from a full dress Harley Ultra Classic that I've had for 7 years. Had a Harley Ultra Classic before this one too. And a FatBoy before that - and many Yamahas Kawasakis Hondas Triumphs and BSAs before that - 47 years of always having a 2 wheeler in the garage. I also have a 2007 Majesty in the garage I bought just a few weeks ago. I like it but I'm going to put it up for sale. I bought it because the price was too good to pass up - $1600! It looks like it won first place in a 'slide your ride' contest - but only has 4k on the clock and runs perfect - after replacing the battery. I'll make a few bucks on it and won't miss it If I buy either of the two bikes I'm contemplating right now.

I'm getting older and need something easier to handle. The Majesty has comfirmed for me that the scooter is the way to go. I've been riding for 47 years - should have moved to a scooter a few years ago. I love being able to swing a leg over the hump to get on or off. Saves a lot of wear and tear on an old much abused back.
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #150
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Re: Knucklehead

I was in the same position (deciding between a Burgman and a Silverwing) 2.5 years ago.

The B650 struck me as too big. It seemed mostly good for highway work and not so good for short errands. I also did not like the engine braking - it made releasing the throttle a jerky process. The Power button and manual shift struck me as something that would become irrelevant quickly.

In the end I got a Silverwing, in part because the prices were close to what you mentioned. The Silverwing weighs about 50 lbs less than the Burgman, and handles in-town work easily while still being a capable highway machine. It has a twin cylinder motor that rides in the frame (and not part of the rear wheel assembly). The weak point on the Silverwing is the front fork. Replacement springs (search for HyperPro) will make it handle much better, but make the ride less cushy. You CAN modify the transmission (J Costa variator or Dr Pulley sliders, and a HiT clutch) and make the Silverwing a speedy beast that should outrun any B650. Or, you can just enjoy it as it comes from the factory.

As a final note, Silverwings have proven themselves VERY reliable and have low maintenance schedules.

Hope one of them speaks to you. You can't go wrong with either one.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote