Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #166
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
I actually like the weight of the Burgman. It's the weight plus the power that give it the kind of stability that makes it a good touring bike. Too light, and wind makes the ride less stable and less comfortable.
Opinions differ, I'd find too much weight a serious handicap for traveling by air . . .

or when you're trying to extract the machine from deep mud.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #167
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I'm sick and tired of walking on pins and needles so I won't offend anybody but the Yamaha Tmax is the best maxi-scooter out there! I rode the Burgman and it doesn't even come close.
The Tmax gets a bad rap cause so few were made and sold and there's less people that own the Tmax that can defend it.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #168
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I'm sick and tired of walking on pins and needles so I won't offend anybody but the Yamaha Tmax is the best maxi-scooter out there! I rode the Burgman and it doesn't even come close.
The Tmax gets a bad rap cause so few were made and sold and there's less people that own the Tmax that can defend it.
Every machine comes up short somewhere. And the whole scooter format, by definition, is a compromise...unsprung engine weight and fewer cylinders, for underbone construction and upright seating with cargo space.

Every machine has a compromise. The BMW boxers...vibrate. And they cost.

I never sat on a Tmax. They came out after I went through my Burgman phase and disappeared before I noticed. I suspect price played a part - it's interesting that Chinese bikes can't dent the market but their el-cheapo scooters are on their way to OWNING it. But, quality at a price, may have made too high a price.

The Tmax may have the best riding characteristics. It may be that the scooter market doesn't CARE about riding characteristics, road handling, etc. Long ago, someone explained the difference to me: A cyclist rides for the riding; whereas a scooter owner just wants to get someplace.

That's an oversimplification; and that was before the touring scooters. There's now some overlap; but the differences remain.

For the Tmax to bridge it, and with their brand already confused with their emphasis on V-max cruisers...may just have been a bridge too far.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #169
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,089
Quote:

Feel free to post the facts that have you arriving at you conclusion.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #170
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,089
Quote:
Posting your opinions and backing them up shouldn't offend anyone. You have offered an opinion here, are you going to back it up?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #171
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,976
There is no "best maxi scooter" just like there is no best bike.

People have different needs and wants that result in different vehicles meeting them.

Also, physical size, inseam size, riding experience and talent may make one scoot perfect for person A and totally unacceptable for person B.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #172
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,656
Quote:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #173
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,976
^ lol
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #174
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Missed a bit there . . .
"the Yamaha Tmax is the best maxi-scooter for the demands of sports riding."

But, with lower seat, better protection from the elements, and more storage volume- the Burgman 650 shines when its touring rather than a sporty ride.

BMW recognized the difference and made TWO slightly-different models (C 600 Sport & C 650 GT) so as to be able to compete with BOTH the Yamaha and the Suzuki.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #175
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
have been following and have to weigh in...

We currently have two 250 helix clones, a silverwing 600, and a majesty 400. The majesty has only been with us a week but is my pick so far, it is light, has a bottomless storage and corners better than my nephew's 600R.

The silverwing is a blast to ride and you have to be careful because it is easy to be cruising along and realize you are running 100mph when you meant to be at 60. It also has a more comfortable back seat if you ride two-up. the trade off or the bigger bike is that you only get 55 to 60 mpg (more often 55 then 60). It is also tough to put on the center stand because it is heavy; even though I am 200lbs and in decent shape I have to roll it backwards to put it on the stand.

The 250s get 70mpg and can handle long rides, but the wind pushes them all over, and they feel like a toy after riding the 400 or 600. You also don't have anything left when you are cruising down the interstate at 75mph and hit a head wind or a hill.

Before buying the silverwing I rode a 650 executive and hated it. It was the most amazing bike I have ever looked at and had some real power, but seemed very top heavy and was too bulky for short grocery runs. I also talked to another burgman owner hat complained he had trouble keeping it upright in slow parking lots and sold his after a year (one of the reasons we went with the silverwing in the first place).

Again; my overall pick is the majesty, but ride them all before buying any of them.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #176
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti View Post
I believe the burgie has more under seat storage but don't know for fact.
Suzuki's ECVT is the cat's meow IMO , takes a few miles to get used to the engine braking tho.
Many top cases and saddle bag options available.
Coffee, cigarettes and beer. My kind a guy.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #177
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I've had the 400 Majesty all of a month now but have only been able to put a few hundred miles on it. Still waiting for warmer weather around here. In that couple hundred miles I've decided it isn't for me. I bought it for $1600 since the PO had laid it over a 'few' times to quote her. Looks like it was entered in a 'slide your ride' contest. And won. No problem since I bought used plastic to replace the ugliest parts and I should be able to get my money out of it - and then some.

At any rate a local dealer has an 08 650 Burgman Executive on consignment that the owner has agreed to part with for $5000 OTD after a few weeks of negotiations. Too good a deal to pass up on - it is in perfect shape and under 4,000 on the odometer and still has the extended warranty since the owner is the original buyer and warranty will transfer one time I've been told. I'll be picking it up tomorrow - or showing up with the SUV and trailer to cart it home since its been wet and cold here lately and it'd be a 30 mile ride.

My impressions on the Burgman in a 20 minute trial ride: I don't find it top heavy at all but then I've been riding Harley Ultras for the past 15 years - and a soft-tail (Fat Boy) before that - and an 82 FXR before that with only a windshield for protection. The Ultra is very top-heavy. The Burgman handles reasonably well and has pretty good low speed manners - is faster than the 2001 Ultra - which was faster than the 1995 Ultra. The Fat Boy was very quick but I had some money into that motor (headwork). Wind protection for the lower body is better on the Burgman - upper body the Harley batwing fairing is very good - arguably better protection than the Burgman with its standard windshield in the up position. I may look into a larger screen for it. The Ultra had an 11" windshield on it. Even with the bigger windshield the Burgman has less protection because its further forward than on the Harley. On the Harley the wind passed over my head by about 2" - nearly perfect. The heavy bugs do come over that screen. Ouch!

I'll probably equip the burgman with a tour trunk - I don't need side bags since I don't plan on traveling more than 4-5 days at a time and I'll be one-up. The Majesty has better fuel mileage but thats the best point I can come up with in it's defense. I'm cramped up on it even with a short 31" inseam. The seat is at the back position. It is a small scooter compared to the Burgman. Power is OK but we have many hills around here and I like to have reserve power for windy days - something we have in spades around here. I'll probably be able to get around $2500 out of the Majesty and since I've only put tabs on it and a new battery and some used plastic I don't have much into it.That'll offset the cost of the Burgman somewhat.

So...I'm going to pass on the 'worlds best scooter by far' and get the 650 Exec. I'm not interested in getting through the twisties in the fastest manner possible or I'd have bought something other than a scooter. I'm not interested in a scooter that requires full throttle to buck the 40+mph winds (in combination with the hills) we have around here much of the spring and fall months. Some things in life are more important when you get to the mid 60's than going fast. Its about comfort at this stage of life - at least for me. Comfort in being able to maintain speed - keeping the ass from going numb - staying out of the rain as best I can - and carrying stuff in dry compartments. The big Burger fits my needs. The Majesty is my first scooter. I've owned 80cc - 90cc - 100cc and 350cc bikes all with clutches and 4 and 5 speeds. 650's and 920's - a screaming fast 500cc Kawasaki H1 that would pull the front wheel at any legal speed - four Harleys that I loved owning - the time for all that is behind me now. On to the future! And a(nother) scooter.

I'm shiftless...

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #178
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
I've had the 400 Majesty all of a month now but have only been able to put a few hundred miles on it. Still waiting for warmer weather around here. In that couple hundred miles I've decided it isn't for me. I bought it for $1600 since the PO had laid it over a 'few' times to quote her. Looks like it was entered in a 'slide your ride' contest. And won. No problem since I bought used plastic to replace the ugliest parts and I should be able to get my money out of it - and then some.

At any rate a local dealer has an 08 650 Burgman Executive on consignment that the owner has agreed to part with for $5000 OTD after a few weeks of negotiations. Too good a deal to pass up on - it is in perfect shape and under 4,000 on the odometer and still has the extended warranty since the owner is the original buyer and warranty will transfer one time I've been told. I'll be picking it up tomorrow - or showing up with the SUV and trailer to cart it home since its been wet and cold here lately and it'd be a 30 mile ride.

My impressions on the Burgman in a 20 minute trial ride: I don't find it top heavy at all but then I've been riding Harley Ultras for the past 15 years - and a soft-tail (Fat Boy) before that - and an 82 FXR before that with only a windshield for protection. The Ultra is very top-heavy. The Burgman handles reasonably well and has pretty good low speed manners - is faster than the 2001 Ultra - which was faster than the 1995 Ultra. The Fat Boy was very quick but I had some money into that motor (headwork). Wind protection for the lower body is better on the Burgman - upper body the Harley batwing fairing is very good - arguably better protection than the Burgman with its standard windshield in the up position. I may look into a larger screen for it. The Ultra had an 11" windshield on it. Even with the bigger windshield the Burgman has less protection because its further forward than on the Harley. On the Harley the wind passed over my head by about 2" - nearly perfect. The heavy bugs do come over that screen. Ouch!

I'll probably equip the burgman with a tour trunk - I don't need side bags since I don't plan on traveling more than 4-5 days at a time and I'll be one-up. The Majesty has better fuel mileage but thats the best point I can come up with in it's defense. I'm cramped up on it even with a short 31" inseam. The seat is at the back position. It is a small scooter compared to the Burgman. Power is OK but we have many hills around here and I like to have reserve power for windy days - something we have in spades around here. I'll probably be able to get around $2500 out of the Majesty and since I've only put tabs on it and a new battery and some used plastic I don't have much into it.That'll offset the cost of the Burgman somewhat.

So...I'm going to pass on the 'worlds best scooter by far' and get the 650 Exec. I'm not interested in getting through the twisties in the fastest manner possible or I'd have bought something other than a scooter. I'm not interested in a scooter that requires full throttle to buck the 40+mph winds (in combination with the hills) we have around here much of the spring and fall months. Some things in life are more important when you get to the mid 60's than going fast. Its about comfort at this stage of life - at least for me. Comfort in being able to maintain speed - keeping the ass from going numb - staying out of the rain as best I can - and carrying stuff in dry compartments. The big Burger fits my needs. The Majesty is my first scooter. I've owned 80cc - 90cc - 100cc and 350cc bikes all with clutches and 4 and 5 speeds. 650's and 920's - a screaming fast 500cc Kawasaki H1 that would pull the front wheel at any legal speed - four Harleys that I loved owning - the time for all that is behind me now. On to the future! And a(nother) scooter.

I'm shiftless...
You ARE aware of the manual mode, right?
Nice write-up.

What's wrong with the Majesty?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #179
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
You ARE aware of the manual mode, right?
Nice write-up.

What's wrong with the Majesty?
I'm aware of the manual mode. I probably will use it in automatic mode most of the time. I've been shifting for 47 years - time to let modern equipment do it for me. As I mentioned in my somewhat long post above (you are excused if you didn't read it all ) I live in an area with many hills and a seemingly perpetual wind. Lousy combination for something that is not quite powerful enough for the 1-2 punch of both. If it were only one OR the other I'd probably be fine with the power of the Majesty. And the Majesty just doesn't have enough leg room - I can't straighten out my legs and that causes me knee pain. Bad after only an hour or so in the saddle. I used to ride my Harley for hours at a time but even that has bothered my knees these past few years.

I just got back from picking up the Burgman - I trailered it home on my tilting golf cart trailer since the weather is crap today - windy of course and only about 48-50 degrees. Easy on - easy off the trailer. Kind of like wax on - wax off eh? Anyway I'm not surprised with how easily it starts up and settles into a stable idle.It has a new bike feel about it but then it only has just over 4000 miles on it. Barely broke in. Everything works as it is supposed to. The service records came with it. It's had all of its regular service at the right intervals - and I have the remainder of the extended warranty until August. Enough time to find out if there is anything that needs warranty work.

The real surprise is the metal flake in the paint. I thought it was just high gloss black - I didn't know about the blue flakes in the paint. Its pretty cool how the mirrors fold up and in when you hit that blue button on the handle bars. If I get it to California where it is legal to split the lanes it'll come in handy. Actually the mirrors when extended are very nearly at the same width as the grips and brake levers so I don't know why Suzuki put them on there. But there they are and its fine with me.

Now I just need some warm weather.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #180
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Congrats on the new scoot. I got my '08 650 about a year ago, with about 37000 miles on it, but it was loaded for touring: side cases, top case, McCruise, legshields, etc. I then spent the summer putting about 14000 more miles on it

I'm planning another long trip this summer. Let me know your location, and I might be able to stop and say howdy.

miboso screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:17 PM
miboso is offline   Reply With Quote