Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #181
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Speaking of those blue flakes, if you get the bike dirty enough, they hardly show
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #182
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
. . . Actually the mirrors when extended are very nearly at the same width as the grips and brake levers so I don't know why Suzuki put them on there. But there they are and its fine with me. . . . . .
I find the folding quite handy when parking in many locations. There have been out-of-the-way spots behind crash barriers that I have handled the Burg Exec into . . . . one just beside entrance into Shopping Mall moving ramp. Also (along with Ignition Switch Cover) good to remove mirrors from temptation to the those who have no respect for property owned by others.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #183
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
I'm aware of the manual mode. I probably will use it in automatic mode most of the time. I've been shifting for 47 years - time to let modern equipment do it for me. As I mentioned in my somewhat long post above (you are excused if you didn't read it all ) I live in an area with many hills and a seemingly perpetual wind. Lousy combination for something that is not quite powerful enough for the 1-2 punch of both. If it were only one OR the other I'd probably be fine with the power of the Majesty. And the Majesty just doesn't have enough leg room - I can't straighten out my legs and that causes me knee pain. Bad after only an hour or so in the saddle. I used to ride my Harley for hours at a time but even that has bothered my knees these past few years.

I just got back from picking up the Burgman - I trailered it home on my tilting golf cart trailer since the weather is crap today - windy of course and only about 48-50 degrees. Easy on - easy off the trailer. Kind of like wax on - wax off eh? Anyway I'm not surprised with how easily it starts up and settles into a stable idle.It has a new bike feel about it but then it only has just over 4000 miles on it. Barely broke in. Everything works as it is supposed to. The service records came with it. It's had all of its regular service at the right intervals - and I have the remainder of the extended warranty until August. Enough time to find out if there is anything that needs warranty work.

The real surprise is the metal flake in the paint. I thought it was just high gloss black - I didn't know about the blue flakes in the paint. Its pretty cool how the mirrors fold up and in when you hit that blue button on the handle bars. If I get it to California where it is legal to split the lanes it'll come in handy. Actually the mirrors when extended are very nearly at the same width as the grips and brake levers so I don't know why Suzuki put them on there. But there they are and its fine with me.

Now I just need some warm weather.
Congrats man
I want a Burger too!
Don't tell my GF, I just bought my Downtown 300

And not being able to strech my legs is my only complaint..
Of course, not having the 72hp powerplant I'm used to from my last bike
is also an issue, but I'm getting used to it.

I was also considering the Majesty (new with ABS) so that's why I asked.
Thanks!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #184
reddogguy1
Flying Under The Radar

Oddometer: 442
I'm 44. I've owned: A DRZ400 and put about 1,500 miles on it before selling it because it felt like riding a saw horse. I then bought a KLR 650 which I rode from SE Texas to Ouray Colorado. While in Colorado, I almost traded the KLR in for a Wee. Literally spent 3 hours at a dealer. Upon returning home, I sold KLR immediately and bought an FZ6. With the FZ, my entire riding group changed and now 2 are dead. FZ SOLD. Currently own a Honda Elite 80 and a WR250R.

After 5 or so years and being on ADV for that time, I am finally realizing that what I really want to do is ride the back roads, have the ability to tour, or just ride alone as I do 99% of the time. I also hate the wind, have the back pain, and just want to kick back.

The root of the scooter seed was planted in my head when we were stopped in Colorado on a mountain stretch that was one way traffic due to debris on the rode. We were stopped and de-numbing our asses when a pair of riders came the opposite direction on maxi-scoots kicked back, smiling, comfortable, drinks in cup holders, with heated gear. We all looked at each other and the seed was planted, .

I lurk more in this forum than any other. As I sit and type while watching the weather channel to determine if I'm going to be winded out (sitting next to my WR2), I am now at peace w/ my next phase. Time to clean out the stable, and move to the next stage. I am texting a friend NOW whose father in law has a Majesty collecting dust. I need it!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #185
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Reddog,

I think you'll like the laid back, cruiser styled ride of the Majesty. I used to have a mental block when it came to maxi scoots, the image I had in my mind would not allow me to consider one as a viable option. Then last summer I rode from North San Diego County to the Canadian border on a Vespa GT200. The Vespa ran great and I had a fantastic trip. While on the road, I made a mental list of what characteristics a bike/scoot would need to make the next trip even better. My short list: more weight for stability in windy situations or when semi trucks blew by me; enough power to sustain posted speed limits in mountainous areas; and better wind protection.

When I asked myself what scooter could do those three things best, while still providing great storage for trips, it narrowed the pack down for me and the scooters that fit the bill were the maxi scooters. It's true that you *can* ride any bike anywhere, but I want to ride comfortably and enjoy the road.

I went through quite a few scooters and a BMW G650GS hoping to find one that felt "right." For me...in town it's the Vespa GT/GTS range scooter because it's more nimble and not as much of a chore to get ready to go, and on the road I love the ride of the Burgman 650.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #186
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
best touring scooter???

The one you got!!

A couple of years ago a couple of college kids rode 2up across Canada on a Yamaha C3. If that worked, any scooter will work.It's not the scooter that is important, it's the fun!!
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #187
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I'm slowly discovering more about my 650 Burgman. I took it for a 60 mile ride in 50 deg weather with a steady 20mph wind (whats new around here?) earlier today. The windshield offers good protection as long as the wind isn't on your quarter. Having it adjust up and down is nice - this time of year it'll remain in the up position. I may have to find a wider one though.

I fiddled around with the different transmission settings and have settled on automatic mode for most of my riding. Having the compression braking in manual mode is great for fast riding in the mountains and probably the only place I'll use manual mode. Power mode is OK but I now know what everyone is talking about when they say they dislike the compression braking. So put it in auto mode and leave it - seems to have more free-wheeling in auto mode.

I 'discovered' the adjustable seat rest. I thought I had enough leg room during the ride but could use just a bit more. I pulled off the road and took a look at the underneath side and found a neat little lever that adjusts the seat rest. It was all the way forward - I moved it back all the way and found I can now straighten my legs while riding. Makes for a much more comfy ride than the Majesty can give me.

I think what I like best about this 'scooter' is how smoothly the engine and transmission work together. It just purrs! Very smooth at all speeds. There is no indication of speed regardless of how fast you are going. Just the wind and a speedo to give you any indication of speed. Its almost electric. Reminds me of riding a 750 Norton Commando - very smooth. The Norton had to be shifted though. The Burgman gives you the impression of a nearly unlimited top end. There is one of course. I had it up to 85 (speedo) - the ride at that speed is as smooth and stable as my Ultra was. I think the Burgman is as fast - maybe faster than the Ultra. Hard to really tell unless you lined them up and held a race. The Ultra was no slouch - it was faster than more than a few other Harleys I've rode with. 88CI and fuel injection and a few other mods like pipes air cleaner and a power commander. The power commander (I'm guessing here) with the pipes and air cleaner gave it maybe 10% more power.

At any rate I'm looking forward to riding the Burgman this summer. I quit riding the Harley frequently a couple of years ago since I have back problems and just getting on or off often resulted in mild to severe pain. With the backrest in the way (had to have that on at all times) it was a contortionists act to get on or off. No longer fun so I pretty much parked it. I may have put 1500 miles on it in 2010-11. It got sold about a week and a half ago. Since I was mentally divorced from it already it wasn't too hard to part with it. The hard part was the realization that my Harley riding days were over. If it weren't for maxi scooters I probably would have just chucked the idea of ever having a two wheeler again. And a trike was never in the cards - I like leaning into corners. The idea of a trike just wasn't palatable.

OK - a question to 650 Burgman owners. How accurate is the MPG gauge? Mine is indicating anywhere from 41mpg into the 20mph wind at 45-55mph and up to 49mpg at 65-68mph going with the wind. Also - any recommendations for a stock height (or close) windshield that covers a wider area than the stock one? Also - where can you buy an owners manual? I searched ebay and can't find one.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #188
Gbjbany
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Whole Thread here on the exact subject of mpg here with examples from those capturing mpg all the time
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56488
Basically seems the guage sucks

I tend to do short trips on and off the freeway so don't get great mileage, but others report over 50, mine registers 38 avg.

On the screen try clearview or givi screen I have the clearview with the vent, but that also affects your mpg negatively
Gbjbany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #189
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
just read all the online reviews about the Yamaha Tmax, read the Motorcycle USA shoot out when they tested it against the 650 Burgman and the Tmax always came out number 1, even in acceleration!
so few were made, soo few were sold in the U.S., there are not enough people that own a Tmax and are talking about it so it gets a bad rap,,, I understand that,,, I shouldn't care what everybody thinks, but I know for a fact the Tmax is much BETTER than the 650 Burgman and Silver Wing in every way.
I bought my Tmax in 2010 at a deeply discounted price, dealers couldn't give them away, nobody wanted one, I took a stab in the dark buying one and I made out,, I won, I got the maxi scooter everybody else wants..
Nobody talks about buying a Tmax cause you can't buy one, not even a used one! The people that already own one know its too good to part with,,,,, so you guys should go out and spend $10K for that wonderfull Burgman,, but I am the one thats laughing,, ha ha ha ha cause my $5000 Tmax is much, much better..

oh yea,, if you ride a Burgman,,,, please don't ask me to take my Tmax for a ride,,,,, no I don't want to switch, you ride my Tmax and I ride your Burgman,,,, no thank you, my current Tmax have exceeeded my expetations and your Burgman doesn't impress me

oh yea,,, my feelings are really hurt cause your local scooter club made up of 90% Burgman's don't want me to join, don't want me riding my Tmax with you in your stupid club cause you're afraid my Tmax will make your Burgman's look bad and my Tmax will get all the attention,,,, ohhhh booo hooo hooo! bunch of cry babies! you make me sick!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #190
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #191
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Cortez? why are you looking at me like that? I am expressing my true and honest feelings cause in my area there are soooo many Burgman's around and those are the people that are stuck up and make fun of my Tmax, i am like the black sheep, a disease cause I ride a Tmax,,, my Tmax is a threat to them cause they want to be seen riding the number 1 maxi scooter. I am tired of everybody judging my Tmax that never rode one..

Tell me????? why doesn't the POS Kymco get made fun of? why is it ONLY the Tmax gets picked on???
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #192
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
He's baaack!
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #193
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
It's you not the tmax

" I would that God the gift he'd gee us to see ourselves as others see us."
It's not the Tmax that is being rejected. I think the Tmax is an excellent ride.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #194
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I think Knucklehead90 sums it up nicely for a lot of us older riders. I'll be 68 in August and am looking at Maxi's closely. My current ride a 1985 BMW R80 is nice , but when it comes to longer trips, not so much any more for these old bones.
I'll wait a bit and see what the new BMW C650GT is really like when it gets here later in the year. From what i read it has all the farkles that the Maxi riders add on as OEM.

Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #195
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
I think Knucklehead90 sums it up nicely for a lot of us older riders. I'll be 68 in August and am looking at Maxi's closely. My current ride a 1985 BMW R80 is nice , but when it comes to longer trips, not so much any more for these old bones.
I'll wait a bit and see what the new BMW C650GT is really like when it gets here later in the year. From what i read it has all the farkles that the Maxi riders add on as OEM.

Doug
Doug,
I'll be 69 later this year and I just bought a Burg 400. It only has about 200 miles so far but I'm really enjoying the ride. It will be my daily ride with the RT used for 2up touring.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote