Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
TwoNav Delta

TwoNav Delta offers you a variety of tools to make each of your outdoor activities unique.

A big touch screen combined with an intuitive software will ensure a highly reliable and secure guidance. TwoNav Delta brings you an infinite variety of features, suitable for mountains, roads, and even for the sea!... TwoNav Delta is a robust and extremely resistant product which includes the IP57 certification (waterproof and dust certification). TwoNav Delta also allows the user to use Bluetooth connections.

Due to compatibility with Navionics Gold maps, TwoNav Delta allows you to perform a high quality and very accurate navigations (boat, moto, quad, 4x4...).

[Dan T.: They actually use TomTom (TeleAtlas) Road maps and Navionics for nautical. You can make your own maps with the CompeGPS Land software.]

Well I have to hand it to the CompeGPS team, they have not been sitting on their back sides. Here is a direct shot a Garmin's top-of-the-line zumo 660. I suppose we will just have to wait until someone get's their hands on one for an in depth eval.

I don't know if Touratech-USA is going to be the distributor or someone else will pickup the line in North America.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
The price appears to include topos of various European countries, so us NA users would expect a lower price, unless they're working on maps for this side of the world...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
It does look good, but map availability (and quality) is certain to be an issue in North America.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

They actually have TeleAtlas vector (routable) maps available for North America but since they do not have a NA Distributor yet they are not listed on the Delta available maps page. Their other TwoNav software comes with free USA/Canada Topo's along with OSM world maps so I don't expect this to be any different. You can download to the other TwoNav units OSM maps as well as many other free map formats using the CompeGPS Land software.

TwoNav software is about the most "open" platform there is in the GPS market - that's good and sometimes not so good.

I have the TeleAtlas maps for NA on my iPhone TwoNav and they work just fine. These maps do not have the extensive POI's that you will find on Garmin's maps. CompeGPS just didn't license all that data - in order to keep the map price low I expect since they don't currently have a North America market.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 11:03 AM
Old 05-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
This GPS has to be EXCELLENT to justify the proposed $850 US price tag. Not to mention, there needs to be great map support off the hop.

Despite all the hatred towards Garmin, they have the best map support out there, both directly from Garmin and third-party.

I'd love to see some other company come in and give Garmin a run for their money. Many of tried and every one has failed.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

I generally agree with you.

[history] Garmin made it easy for map makers to "reverse engineer" their map compilers in the early days when they had few commercial map products.[\history]

Now they can afford to subsidize map costs for their customers to keep ahead of the "data" game. After all, it is about who has the best information once you get past the hardware.

I have found the TwoNav software to be quite good. The hardware is Holux and based on Windows Mobile OS. TwoNav OEM's the hardware, ports their software to the platform and puts some branding on it. Same TwoNav software as is available on the iOS platforms and other handheld devices.

Yes, it will always be difficult to displace Garmin but as you imply, competition is a good thing in this market.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
somaLee
GS gooooo!!!

Oddometer: 44
CompeGPS TwoNav is sponsor of my Ride To Roots project. I started using the TwoNav Delta las weekend during a course off-road navigation.

I love how is easy it is to use all the features of this GPS.

http://www.ridetoroots.com/blog/curs...ion-y-mecanica (Spanish)

Now I'm starting to work on maps and routes to add in the Delta and use them during the trip to Africa. For that I'm working with Compe Land software.

somaLee screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 06:42 AM
somaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Best of luck on your Africa adventure. Keep us posted on how the Delta preforms for you.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
somaLee
GS gooooo!!!

Thank you DRTBYK! Of course I will! ;)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
somaLee
GS gooooo!!!

Today I tested the TwoNav Delta during 170Km 100% offroad solo route.

I downloaded a track from http://www.wikiloc.com from a little known area. I've done the exercise to follow the original track and taking detours to test the performance of the new TwoNav Delta. With its powerful speaker is easy to hear the alarm deviation. It shows a red line from the actual position to the near point of the original track. It's working very well.

somaLee screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 09:35 AM
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Delta, how about the the battery, when delta is closed down, stays it full or leaking discharging to a minium?
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Is the battery discharging when the Delta is shut off?
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
somaLee
GS gooooo!!!

Yes, the battery discharging when Delta remain shuted off for several days.

If the battery is completely discharged you can connect the GPS to the computer with the USB cable or use any of this chargers:

http://en.compegps.com/products/accessories/energy/

cheers!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by somaLee View Post

That screen shot is awesome! I like how the roads stand apart from the topo lines. The guys at garmin need to take a drafting class to learn about line weight.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

If the TwoNav were sold by a US Distributor, I'd have had one some time ago. Holux (Taiwan) makes very good GPS hardware and TwoNav makes very good software. With no physical support in the US though (Spain) it is expensive by comparison with Garmin.

I do run TwoNav on my iPhone and iPad2.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS