Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #31
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
Considering you'll be driving in city traffic, I'd suggest you not buy new. You'll save on both insurance and repair bills.
Folks park by braille in major cities, so don't even bother fixing it unless the doors don't close any more.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #32
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Folks park by braille in major cities, so don't even bother fixing it unless the doors don't close any more.
parking on flat ground and leaving it in neutral minimizes damage.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #33
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I thought about the Fiat, but lack of dealer support/knowledgeable mechanics thwarts me.
That will change soon enough. I'm sure any Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Dealer could order parts or even do most services. The car isn't new, just new to the US so it shouldn't have bugs to worry about with most first years.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #34
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,034
Don't buy a Volkswagen. They blow up and shit.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
jfadool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
My brother has an 05 focus, 5 speed, zx3. He loves it, good gas mileage, easy to park, and a nice little car. The only thing he has had an issue with is the fuel pump, it is going out, but the car has 105k on it.

I just got a Mazda 3 hatch, I was looking at the fiesta and Mazda 2 but the 3 is not too much more and a lot more car.

Your whole list looked good, go drive all if them. I am super glad I did.
jfadool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
ybjefe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I've had a Mini for 4 years in Boston. My winter car. Highly recommended! In better weather, rain and sleet, like right now, my commute is on the trusty R1200GS.
But in Baltimore?
I'd keep the F250; really, it'll be great in Baltimore! Folks won't mess with ya! They'll think you're from Missouri or somethin'. Just remember that road salt tends to rust-out the straps that hold the gas tank on (Really!). Check that out from time to time and you'll be fine with th' Ford for a couple years. Folks at the Hopkins will love it...
ybjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #37
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
FWIW, I am (probably) buying a Fiesta, but have started to look at the 2012 Focus as well. The Fiesta is a surprisingly solid little car. Quick enough for what it is and, dare I say, a bit fun to drive. Love the Ford Sync tech package as well.

The (new) Focus has much more space, a bit more power, and a bit more $$$.

The Yaris is a good little car. As others have said, lots of space, but I find it just plain boring to drive.

For the subcompact segment, Yaris and Fit have it pretty much locked up, but a recent review I read gave the edge to the Fiesta, despite the fact that it has less space.

I haven't driven the others, so I can't comment.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #38
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I have a Yaris sedan. Average mpg 38-40. Boring but excellent commuter car for my daily 66 mile round trip commute.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Don't buy a Volkswagen. They blow up and shit.
You mean like this?

troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #40
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I've brainstormed a list;

Honda Fit
Ford Fiesta or ZX-3
Kia Soul
Kia Forte
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Accent
Toyota Yaris
Mini Cooper (at my girlfriend's insistence. I shouldn't have told her I can actually fit inside one).

Anything that shouldn't be on that list? Anything that should?
The Forte and Elantra are not really in the same class as the others, with the Elantra being a huge step up. And if you include them you may as well bring in the Civic, Matrix, Versa, Sentra, Cruz, and Corolla, which BTW gets nearly as good mileage as it's smaller sister the Yaris.

I'd choose the Elantra on your list, but it shouldn't belong there. The Fit would win otherwise.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #41
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsgclma View Post
I just bought a Mazda 2 and love it. It's not a speed demon but with a manual trans pretty zippy. It's got more room than you'd think looking at it. I'm a big guy(6' 300 lbs) and I fit fine along with the wife and daughter. 35 mpg around town and I expect to get around 40 fully loaded on the way to the beach next month.

I checked out a Mazda 2 at the auto show. Looks great. MUCH better ergonomics and dash than its Ford counterpart. If I were in the market for a new car, it would definitely be on my short list.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #42
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
I like the Hyundai's now. I used to think they were POS and didn't offer that much, but when you consider there cheaper then what the Japanese have to offer and Domestic brands (which are now built in Mexico and Canada), the Hyundai is built in America and has a 10 year warranty. Im seeing people using these cars everyday for years with no problems, its the new Toyota...
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #43
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
I checked out a Mazda 2 at the auto show. Looks great. MUCH better ergonomics and dash than its Ford counterpart. If I were in the market for a new car, it would definitely be on my short list.
For the sake of comparison shopping, at first glance the Fiesta has 20% more HP, better fuel economy, and a much better tech package (which is important to me as a commuter) all at the same price as the Mazda 2.

I would prefer a Mazda to a Ford, but those numbers cannot be ignored.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #44
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
I just bought a VW Golf TDI. It'll probably be less reliable than a Yaris or Fit, but the driving experience is a lot nicer. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, it might be an option. Purely on price and practicality, there are better options (like the Fit), but enjoyment has to have some value, too.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #45
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,700
Consider a Prius or the Honda Civic Hybrid. These are a little more expensive than some of the cars on your list, and the Prius is the better of the two, but if you get one of the more basic models, which really aren't all that "basic" in a comparative sense, you'll have a comfortable mid-sized car that gets better mileage than any of the cars on the list, and $4+ gas is likely to be a permanent component of life in the years ahead.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: