Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #76
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I'd add the Chevy Cruze and Sonic when it comes out. If you are looking at an Elantra wagon stay away since it is the last generation car and the new one is a lot better (for a Hyundai, and yes I know they are the same as Kia's but I like the way Kia's are set up a lot more). If MPG are a concern the Honda Insight can usually be had for a song since the US sales haven't been great. It is basically a Fit with a more aerodynamic body so if you want a Honda see what they will do for deals. The Fit is in massive demand and with the shortages the prices could get closer and closer making the Insight a no brainer.
Yeah, but chevys are crap these days. Have been since the turn of the century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #77
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Yeah, but chevys are crap these days. Have been since the turn of the century.

In 2000 they were but since about 08 they've been a lot nicer on par with all others.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #78
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I'm really starting to think of cars as a disposable item these days. They cost out the ass and when you pile the miles on them you almost have to pay someone to teke them off your hands.
This. I'm done buying nice cars. Living in an urban area they just get dinged up, and up north here the salt corrodes everything in sight. I think the sweet spot is ~five years and ~80k miles. My ZX5 Focus was a bit older than that, an '03 with 100k when I bought it last fall, but the driveline is as solid as my old accord and it gets impressive mileage. Insurance is cheap and I don't really care if it gets dinged up in a parking lot.

A new 20k Fiat or 30k Mini in Baltimore sounds like heartache waiting to happen.

Be the honey badger.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #79
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:

In 2000 they were but since about 08 they've been a lot nicer on par with all others.
I'm willing to be convinced. I loved my '98 S-10 until the thing started eating transmissions. All the research I've done since then has told me that Chevy has essentially stopped giving a crap. Plus I don't see many new ones on the road these days. So what happened in '08?
Quote:
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #80
taranaki
That Beastly Man

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
I'd add the Chevy Cruze and Sonic when it comes out. If you are looking at an Elantra wagon stay away since it is the last generation car and the new one is a lot better (for a Hyundai, and yes I know they are the same as Kia's but I like the way Kia's are set up a lot more). If MPG are a concern the Honda Insight can usually be had for a song since the US sales haven't been great. It is basically a Fit with a more aerodynamic body so if you want a Honda see what they will do for deals. The Fit is in massive demand and with the shortages the prices could get closer and closer making the Insight a no brainer.

I've taken a close look at the current Elantra Touring (wagon). In Europe it's the i30 and highly regarded among those who prefer low-key styling and old school (good) ergonomics. The interior is VERY NICE, especially in SE trim. No Cardacian Provincial styling elements and more than a few quality touches. Also, owners are reporting MPG numbers well above the EPA estimates. If I were in to replace my old Focus today it'd be my first pick. Lovely under-the-radar car.
taranaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #81
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
This. I'm done buying nice cars. Living in an urban area they just get dinged up, and up north here the salt corrodes everything in sight. I think the sweet spot is ~five years and ~80k miles. My ZX5 Focus was a bit older than that, an '03 with 100k when I bought it last fall, but the driveline is as solid as my old accord and it gets impressive mileage. Insurance is cheap and I don't really care if it gets dinged up in a parking lot.

A new 20k Fiat or 30k Mini in Baltimore sounds like heartache waiting to happen.

Be the honey badger.

I have to have a dependable car but I really think i'll just buy a Hyundai econo car next time. Drive it till it's worn out and give it away on craigslist.

perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #82
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I have to have a dependable car but I really think i'll just buy a Hyundai econo car next time. Drive it till it's worn out and give it away on craigslist.
No reason an 80k mile car won't be dependable unless it was a POS to start with. But I agree re: buying out of the compact class - the current compacts are the size of a midsize from the 90's, surprisingly good room in them unless you're a giant.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #83
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,016
Quote:
No reason an 80k mile car won't be dependable unless it was a POS to start with. But I agree re: buying out of the compact class - the current compacts are the size of a midsize from the 90's, surprisingly good room in them unless you're a giant.
It will just have annoying issues, from 70-130k were the alternator and exhaust system.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #84
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:

I used to put between 30 and 40k a year on them working, though with fuel where it's at my phone gets used more now. Not as many miles these days so a used car would likely be fine.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #85
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Registration and Inspection

If you are going to be in Balto MD, I recommend buying your car from a dealer in MD. They handle the inspection (MD has a thorough inspection) and registration. If you buy outside of MD and have to re-register, they will make you pay based on a percentage of the value of your car.

Also, I recommend buying used. A new car in the city will just get beat. The JH school is nice, but the area is crap. My coworker told me a story about stepping over a dead body to get to school one morning. Huge heroin problem in Baltimore.

There are a ton of fun things to do in Baltimore. American Visionary Art Museum comes to mind first for the day and club Orpheus for night time fun. Federal Hill to watch the fireworks on 7/4 and all kinds of other things.
Enjoy!
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #86
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
When my close friend was in law school at UB he had a Mini. Even though he loved the car he said it sucked in Baltimore because the streets are in such crappy condition and the ride is so firm. Tons of fun and easy to park but uncomfortable as hell downtown.
06ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #87
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
If you are going to be in Balto MD, I recommend buying your car from a dealer in MD. They handle the inspection (MD has a thorough inspection) and registration. If you buy outside of MD and have to re-register, they will make you pay based on a percentage of the value of your car.

Also, I recommend buying used. A new car in the city will just get beat. The JH school is nice, but the area is crap. My coworker told me a story about stepping over a dead body to get to school one morning. Huge heroin problem in Baltimore.

There are a ton of fun things to do in Baltimore. American Visionary Art Museum comes to mind first for the day and club Orpheus for night time fun. Federal Hill to watch the fireworks on 7/4 and all kinds of other things.
Enjoy!
thanks for the tip!

I'm not opposed to late-model used.
Quote:
Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #88
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,804
Another vote for the Golf. I know that people get pretty polarized about VW, but I have a '06 Jetta TDI and it has been absolutely flawless over the last 110k miles, returning 40mpg on average with zero maintenance issues. I would expect similar from the current Golf TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
I just bought a VW Golf TDI. It'll probably be less reliable than a Yaris or Fit, but the driving experience is a lot nicer. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, it might be an option. Purely on price and practicality, there are better options (like the Fit), but enjoyment has to have some value, too.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #89
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
Another vote for the Golf. I know that people get pretty polarized about VW, but I have a '06 Jetta TDI and it has been absolutely flawless over the last 110k miles, returning 40mpg on average with zero maintenance issues. I would expect similar from the current Golf TDI.
Are you sure you don't have an uncle's cousin's sister who had a problem with her 230,000-mile Mk2 Golf not starting because of a dead battery? Because everyone else on this list sure has a story about someone else having a problem with a VW.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #90
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Are you sure you don't have an uncle's cousin's sister who had a problem with her 230,000-mile Mk2 Golf not starting because of a dead battery? Because everyone else on this list sure has a story about someone else having a problem with a VW.
The amazing thing is that I read all of those stories, and bought the damn car anyway.

I've also known people who ended up with Honda and Toyota lemons, so there are no guarantees about quality.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: