Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
NewSuz
Old coot on scoot

Oddometer: 159
One forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days’ concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.
then there you jolly-well are,
aren't you?
---Lord Buckley---
NewSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSuz View Post
One forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days’ concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Where you getting the morphine ?
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Steveize
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
since we are having fun...

1-Gerber Multi tool with scissors, the small kind to cut dead skin off.
2-gold American dollar coins, easier to palm and GOLD!! but they are worth more than a dollar
3-some small paring knives-knives will get you a lot of goodwill in Africa.
4-drive on rags , big bandanas
5-leopard repellant OC 10 or Sig .357. save one for yourself
6-fancy fast dry underwear and socks
7-back up pair(s) of sunglasses-leave extras when you depart. Sunglasses=stature in Africa.
8-false bank statements looking like you are either broke or filthy rich. Produce either as needed when kidnapped.
9-150 feet of 50lb fishing line for perimeter alert. See#5
10-tubes of ChapStick SPF50 not just for your lips.

Assumes you have a tool roll and medical emergency items.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac inger View Post
Subscribed. Im leaving soon too so will share my new list of things.

viajero have you thought about a kindle or smth similar ? I can't go anywhere without reading material and they way i read through those, it would get heavy real quick
I tend to keep to a minimum gadgets which require batteries (except for cell phone and flashlight and headlamp) or charging. Anyway, I'm a Luddite and don't even have a digital camera or gps. Portable computer? Nope.

I do like beer, however.

Paperback books are easy to exchange, with other travelers, at used bookstores, even motels and libraries. Many grocery stores and pharmacies have books for sale, and I can always give away those I've read.

If I don't have something to read when camping, I write in my log book.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #20
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I write in my log book.
log book, notebook, notepad, construction paper,

have something you can write notes on, draw a map on, write down directions, some way to give people your contact info, do math for budget or gas mileage etc etc

Sure, Toilet Paper can be written on, but its not really durable. Duct tape could also substitue as something to write on, but paper is cheaper than duct tape

Don't forget something to write with, in fact take several, and several varieties. A big Sharpie is handy for writing on absolutely anything, a big carpenter pencil is pretty durable and easy to sharpen with almost any knife, regular pens are good except they're not going to work right away when you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #21
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSuz View Post
Hold it, this was for an Africa MC ride, not taking down bin laden with a follow-up celebration with Seal Team 6 in Singapore!

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Hold it, this was for an Africa MC ride, not taking down bin laden with a follow-up celebration with Seal Team 6 in Singapore!
There are some of us that a pistol goes on witht eh pants... its just natural, you know ;)

Apparently, some of us put on nylons first. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,658
Seriously? You guys have never seen "Doctor Strangelove"?

Major T. J. "King" Kong

http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 08:02 AM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #24
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Maps, maps, and maps, because I'm always getting lost.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,451
anyone mention Hookers and Blow yet?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #26
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,198
#1 - Rechargeable flashlight, and a charger that works off your bike/solar
#2 - Knife
#3 - Gun
#4 - money
#5 - Steel Water bottles + water tablets / filter
#6 - Flint / lighters
#7 - warm coat for cold nights
#8 - toolkit
#9 - spare gas
#10 - tevas / sandals

n16ht5 screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 05:27 AM
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #27
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 920
Wicked

It all depends where you are traveling. I would never travel where I thought there was a likelihood that I was going to get stoned by the locals. I can't imagine getting into a situation where I am going to go "toe to toe" with the locals using a sling shot. Your best defense is your bike-to get you the hell out of there.

The gun carrying suggested by others is a joke I hope? All that will do is land you in jail in just about every foreign country there is as well as here in most of the States. The only defensive weapon I carry is bear spray and the authorities will even consider that a weapon if you are not in bear country camping.

The number one thing to have is a means to get money when you need it for beer, women, bribes, and other emergencies. These trips are suppose to be enjoyable adventures, right? I don't want to be constantly asking myself the rhetorical question, "Am I having fun yet?"

Sorry for the hijack.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #28
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil04074 View Post
It all depends where you are traveling. I would never travel where I thought there was a likelihood that I was going to get stoned by the locals. I can't imagine getting into a situation where I am going to go "toe to toe" with the locals using a sling shot. Your best defense is your bike-to get you the hell out of there.

The gun carrying suggested by others is a joke I hope? All that will do is land you in jail in just about every foreign country there is as well as here in most of the States. The only defensive weapon I carry is bear spray and the authorities will even consider that a weapon if you are not in bear country camping.

The number one thing to have is a means to get money when you need it for beer, women, bribes, and other emergencies. These trips are suppose to be enjoyable adventures, right? I don't want to be constantly asking myself the rhetorical question, "Am I having fun yet?"

Sorry for the hijack.
not a joke.. I carry almost every time I ride. you obviously don't get out of suburbia much and no you won't end up in jail for carrying a gun if you go through the stupid hoops of most states.. Land of the free? anyone? this isn't britain. Africa varies, but I would figure out a way to sneak one.
out here you want to have a fleeting chance against the armed, drunk, strung out methheads in the woods. bear spray is good too.

I thought the slingshot was a joke
the monkeys and baboons are just going to be pissed off by a stupid slingshot. they outnumber you by like 100-1 usually. and they throw poop.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #29
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
A childs slingshot is a joke. A "pro" slingshot and a bag of marbles is one hell of an accurate and deadly weapon.
rufusswan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #30
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
"Athletes foot" cream. It can be hard to keep boots / socks dry so you are sure to get a dose of this (also useful for your butt crack..)
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote