Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
TavisB OP
@TavisB

Oddometer: 363
Help with OsmAnd?

I'm playing around with using OsmAnd instead of a dedicated GPS.

What I want to be able to do is to plan a route in Mapsource and then load the gpx on my phone and use that to navigate. The issue I am having is that OsmAnd is not calculating a route along the roads like my Garmin would. I guess it is more like navigating a track file. This causes the audio prompts to be off and I get prompts to do a u-turn when I am really on the correct route. I've attached a screenshot below that illustrates the issue I am having.

So am I doing something wrong? Any pointers from those more experienced with this app? Is it possible to load via points and have OsmAnd calculate a route that follows the roads?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,389
Likely because the OSM file is not a routable map. Without the underlying routing data, it can't autoroute.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
TavisB OP
@TavisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Likely because the OSM file is not a routable map. Without the underlying routing data, it can't autoroute.
The map itself is routable. If I enter a destination and let it calculate a route it works correctly. The issue is getting it to follow a route I have created in mapsource. From what I've read online it is possible to do this with a gpx file, but in practice I can't seem to get it to work.

You can see below how it correctly follows the bridge when I create the route in-app:

TavisB screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 04:22 AM
TavisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,689
OSMand only follows point to point, so convert the route in Mapsource to a Track then it'll follow it with spoken directions and turn by turn.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
TavisB OP
@TavisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
OSMand only follows point to point, so convert the route in Mapsource to a Track then it'll follow it with spoken directions and turn by turn.
Ok. I'll give that a try today and see how it works, but I think that this means that this app won't work for what I want :(.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
TavisB OP
@TavisB

I downloaded an app called CoPilot and it looks like it will do what I would want (offline maps, routing with via points). I exported the route as a gpx, converted it to a trp and moved it to the appropriate folder on my phone. The app then calculated a route using the via points as I intended.

Now I need to see how it handles a 200 mile route vs 8.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TavisB View Post
The map itself is routable. If I enter a destination and let it calculate a route it works correctly.
great. Glad that wasn't your problem. Some osm Maps are not.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #8
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
I'm playing around with using OsmAnd instead of a dedicated GPS.

What I want to be able to do is to plan a route in Mapsource and then load the gpx on my phone and use that to navigate. The issue I am having is that OsmAnd is not calculating a route along the roads like my Garmin would. I guess it is more like navigating a track file. This causes the audio prompts to be off and I get prompts to do a u-turn when I am really on the correct route. I've attached a screenshot below that illustrates the issue I am having.

So am I doing something wrong? Any pointers from those more experienced with this app? Is it possible to load via points and have OsmAnd calculate a route that follows the roads?

i've seen a -lot- of PLANNED ROUTES that look like this, but it haven't had it happen with actual TRACKS that were recorded on the fly, yet. wether it's basecamp doing odd things with points, or osmand's interpretation, i can't tell ya, sorry. it looks like there are enough points in the exported file from your screenshot, so maybe it's osmand's interpretation ?

what I can tell you is, if you build the route in osmand between START/END points, and add in the waypoints and/or favorites that you want along the way, you will get an exact route, that has correct points (smooth routing lines and correct turn prompts) along the way.

could you upload the track somewhere like dropbox/mega/googledrive/whoever and let others try it in other applications, and application versions ?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
I downloaded an app called CoPilot and it looks like it will do what I would want (offline maps, routing with via points). I exported the route as a gpx, converted it to a trp and moved it to the appropriate folder on my phone. The app then calculated a route using the via points as I intended.

I did about a 3000 mile trip like that last fall with dozens of stops along the way. Everything worked out great, including one day where I wanted to backtrack. I reloaded the original track, then just deleted waypoints in CoPilot to get me back to where I wanted.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I did about a 3000 mile trip like that last fall with dozens of stops along the way. Everything worked out great, including one day where I wanted to backtrack. I reloaded the original track, then just deleted waypoints in CoPilot to get me back to where I wanted.
Quote:

Worwig or TavisB,

I am still having problems getting Co Pilot to load any trp file. I created a route in Google Map and extracted the KML file and converted to TRP using ITN Converter. I can see the route when I go to Load menu option but when I select the route, it asks me to select a starting point and does nothing. Any advice? I tried same in Mapsource, created a route and saved as GPX file and then I converted to TRP. Again, I can see the route in the load menu but doesn't do anything when I try to open.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
Worwig or TavisB,

I am still having problems getting Co Pilot to load any trp file. I created a route in Google Map and extracted the KML file and converted to TRP using ITN Converter. I can see the route when I go to Load menu option but when I select the route, it asks me to select a starting point and does nothing. Any advice? I tried same in Mapsource, created a route and saved as GPX file and then I converted to TRP. Again, I can see the route in the load menu but doesn't do anything when I try to open.

Thanks.

Jon

No help here.

I just created about a 200 mile trip online with Google maps. I saved that as a KML. I used ITN converter to import the WAYPOINTS, and saved that as a TRP. Sent that over to the /NA/save directory. In CoPilot I loaded it, and it routed fine. It works.

You can also import and convert tracks, which I tried, and that also works. But that file is of course huge, and I suspect that the the two maps aren't a perfect match, you may get into a situation where it tries to recalculate hundreds of times to get you on the correct road, even though you are.

In ITN converter are you seeing all of the points. If you select edit, do the points show on the map.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
No help here.

I just created about a 200 mile trip online with Google maps. I saved that as a KML. I used ITN converter to import the WAYPOINTS, and saved that as a TRP. Sent that over to the /NA/save directory. In CoPilot I loaded it, and it routed fine. It works.

You can also import and convert tracks, which I tried, and that also works. But that file is of course huge, and I suspect that the the two maps aren't a perfect match, you may get into a situation where it tries to recalculate hundreds of times to get you on the correct road, even though you are.

In ITN converter are you seeing all of the points. If you select edit, do the points show on the map.
Got it and it is now working. I tried routing in Mapsource and Google Earth. Works fine, I guess I had the ITN Converter to a wrong export format. Pretty sweet as it auto synchs now when I drop a new route into my PC DropBox. It shows up in the Co-Pilot less than 30 seconds later. I can now just load, review and go.

Jon
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
Got it and it is now working. I tried routing in Mapsource and Google Earth. Works fine, I guess I had the ITN Converter to a wrong export format. Pretty sweet as it auto synchs now when I drop a new route into my PC DropBox. It shows up in the Co-Pilot less than 30 seconds later. I can now just load, review and go.

Jon
seems like it would be easier and fewer failure points to do the routing in app?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
seems like it would be easier and fewer failure points to do the routing in app?

No issue with plotting your route from the app. Just my preference on longer rides to view the backroads, Google Earth for possible fire roads, etc., from a large monitor on my PC when planning my ride.

Jon
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
TavisB OP
@TavisB

After playing around some more with OsmAnd and CoPilot, I think I prefer OsmAnd. I found that if I converted my route to a track in BaseCamp before exporting it will follow the roads correctly. CoPilot would handle the exported routes, but the maps differ enough that the routing got funky and it refused to route on some of the roads. I'm playing around now with getting OsmAnd to show my waypoints on a gpx layer. I can get them to show, but just as an icon. I would like to see the text as well, not sure if that is possible yet. If I have to, I will just eliminate all the waypoints except gas and lodging, those are the most critical.