Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
bikeroz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
GPS Maps

I have an old Garmin Zumo 550 that came with City Navigator maps.
Unfortunately my vocabulary does not stretch as far as I want to throw it, so. Anyone have a suggestion of what other digital maps I can use (compatible) with my Zumo?
Are shonkymaps able to do routing on the device itself?

Alternative, what maps can I use in Basecamp that is good?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 897
Open street maps. Thats all I use, works well in oz, and worked well in South America. And KLR folks can afford them.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
AlSheehan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Shonky doesn't do routing.

I have the OzTopo's. They have excellent detail and the do routing both in the PC and in the GPS.

I also have 550.

Al.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Throw it and buy a Montana
Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,931
I've an even older 60Cx. I'll through it when it wares out Not before .. then get a similar thing then i.e. water proof, hand held, motorcycle friendly, with enough memory for maps, tracks and POIs.

And maps;
Garmin City Navigator for Australia, Europe
Garmin World map
Tracks for Australia
Shonky Logic map

OSM maps .. for Australia, India, UK,

In terms of number of searchable and useful POI .. the Garmin City Nav. maps are best. They are also very good for navigation. I've not bothered to 'update' mine due to cost. The OSM maps win in terms of cost. They are reasonable for navigation but could do with more POI .. I'm adding to them in my area so it will be useful to others passing through.

There should be no cost to you for having Tracks for Australia, Shonky Logic map and OSM maps with your basecamp program .. I use Mapsource .. on that I simply select what map set I want to display .. the routes, POIs and tracks that I have up - stay up as I change maps .. humm .. I've over 20 maps to chose from .. all display different things even the ones that come from OSM base data have different features displayed as chosen by the map maker.

Warin screwed with this post 12-11-2014 at 03:05 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
I've an even older 60Cx. I'll through it when it wares out Not before .. then get a similar thing then i.e. water proof, hand held, motorcycle friendly, with enough memory for maps, tracks and POIs.

And maps;
Garmin City Navigator for Australia, Europe
Garmin World map
Tracks for Australia
Shonky Logic map

OSM maps .. for Australia, India, UK,

In terms of number of searchable and useful POI .. the Garmin City Nav. maps are best. They are also very good for navigation. I've not bothered to 'update' mine due to cost. The OSM maps win in terms of cost. They are reasonable for navigation but could do with more POI .. I'm adding to them in my area so it will be useful to others passing through.

There should be no cost to you for having Tracks for Australia, Shonky Logic map and OSM maps with your basecamp program .. I use Mapsource .. on that I simply select what map set I want to display .. the routes, POIs and tracks that I have up - stay up as I change maps .. humm .. I've over 20 maps to chose from .. all display different things even the ones that come from OSM base data have different features displayed as chosen by the map maker.

out of curiosity only -

I've seen a few people mention POI lacking/exceeding in different map types, different devices, different apps or whatever. i've never personally found a need for them, since a town of 1500+ people (my local) means there is usually a fuel station, help, etc. - so the question,

what do you use POI for ?
aren't websites with HUGE data sets of POI like POIfactory good enough for your uses ?

just curious :)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
out of curiosity only -

. . . people mention POI lacking/exceeding in different map types

. . . what do you use POI for ?
aren't websites with HUGE data sets of POI like POIfactory good enough for your uses ?

just curious :)
I have used POIs to find campgrounds, fuel, groceries, restaurants, and motorcycle shops. Many towns around here and places I've toured have no fuel, store, or restaurant, so finding these is not as easy as finding a town.

The listings on POI Factory are too specific. I'm not looking for a file of only hotdog stands and another file of Pittsburgh's best restaurants of 2014. I want a file of just restaurants, but lots and lots of them. A file of Chevron gas stations would leave me on empty. Perhaps I could find enough files to have a more complete list of POIs, but the site doesn't highlight them.

The POIs provided by Navteq are VERY handy when I have no idea which way to turn to find what I'm looking for. I have not yet used OSM in any area where there were enough POIs to be useful. If I wanted police, fire station, or hospital then OSM would work fine.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
toecutta
06 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 137
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

been using it for years when traveling OS and geocaching
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
toecutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I have used POIs to find campgrounds, fuel, groceries, restaurants, and motorcycle shops. Many towns around here and places I've toured have no fuel, store, or restaurant, so finding these is not as easy as finding a town.

The listings on POI Factory are too specific. I'm not looking for a file of only hotdog stands and another file of Pittsburgh's best restaurants of 2014. I want a file of just restaurants, but lots and lots of them. A file of Chevron gas stations would leave me on empty. Perhaps I could find enough files to have a more complete list of POIs, but the site doesn't highlight them.

The POIs provided by Navteq are VERY handy when I have no idea which way to turn to find what I'm looking for. I have not yet used OSM in any area where there were enough POIs to be useful. If I wanted police, fire station, or hospital then OSM would work fine.
cool, you just sorted that out for me.

thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,931
Poi ..

Situation .. your running out of petrol .. and need one soon. You search on your GPS for the nearest petrol station using the GPS .. built in POI.
I don't normally use additional sources of POI unless I know or have an interest in particular POI in a particular area/route. However my normal holiday mode takes me off the preplanned route to other places ... thus getting POI before I go is not that feasible. And getting them on the road can be expensive and time consuming. So I do rely on the maps builtin POI.

Having said that .. there are people with good POI collections .. Tim has a collection for Morocco .. over on HU.

On OSM .. I tend to put up places I know of into OSM .. but if I know a place is less than good ... well I don't put it on the map.

Warin screwed with this post 12-15-2014 at 04:29 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote