ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #1516
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I'm sure there's a logical explanation - can somebody tell me why they North pointers are pointing in different directions? Everything else looks in sync.
I'll give it a shot.
A GPS can only give limited information when not moving, namely location, exact time and a fuzzy altitude. In motion a GPS uses a current location and the last location to calculate direction of travel (and thus north) speed and many more.

If the unit is set to display the direction of travel as up ("Track Up") or top of map (helps keep upcoming L turns L and R turns R) the map rotates along with the N indicator as you change course, and the position arrow stays pointing forward (up).

If the unit is set to "North up" or at top of the map (helps when referencing paper maps) the map stays N up and the position indicator (the arrow) rotates as your course changes.

I suspect the units are set to "Track up" (often the default) and not moving so both are at a loss for what direction north is, if the had been set to "North up" they would have matched up but the position arrows would point differently.

There is more to it but that's the basics.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 05:53 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #1517
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
I'll give it a shot.
A GPS can only give limited information when not moving, namely location, exact time and a fuzzy altitude. In motion a GPS uses a current location and the last location to calculate direction of travel (and thus north) speed and many more.

If the unit is set to display the direction of travel as up ("Track Up") or top of map (helps keep upcoming L turns L and R turns R) the map rotates along with the N indicator as you change course, and the position arrow stays pointing forward (up).

If the unit is set to "North up" or at top of the map (helps when referencing paper maps) the map stays N up and the position indicator (the arrow) rotates as your course changes.

I suspect the units are set to "Track up" (often the default) and not moving so both are at a loss for what direction north is, if the had been set to "North up" they would have matched up but the position arrows would point differently.

There is more to it but that's the basics.

Bruce
You got the "Track Up" setting right. I always run my gps that way. I hadn't taken those pictures as a comparison of the maps, except to show how much more detail one screen shows over the other. I can see now that if I had the screens set to "North Up" it would have allowed that kind of map comparison. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

But I think North is accurate on those screens because the compass on each unit is electronic and does not rely on movement for accuracy, except if the gps is moving over a certain speed and then it will use the gps signals for the compass.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #1518
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
In the case of Shortcut's, Where To? only has the option of selecting a Waypoint. Where as Where To? as an application presents you with all of the Where To? search options.

The real power of Shortcuts is in the combination of the Profile, Setup, Where To? and Application. For example, I have a shortcut that starts a special Profile, sets 6 Settings that I don't want set in the Profile and then jumps to the Map page.

Cheers,
Now I get it with regard to Where To? Thanks.

I'll work on the second one you mention.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #1519
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,444
I bet it is the RF emissions from the electronics inside the GPS that is causing the differences in the north pointer.

magnetic waves, electronic RF emissions, big chunks of steel all can affect magnetic compasses accuracy.

Plus I think when you first turn them on, it takes some time for the magnetic compass to calibrate.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #1520
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I bet it is the RF emissions from the electronics inside the GPS that is causing the differences in the north pointer.

magnetic waves, electronic RF emissions, big chunks of steel all can affect magnetic compasses accuracy.

Plus I think when you first turn them on, it takes some time for the magnetic compass to calibrate.
There is no difference in the North pointers. It's the maps which are not aligned. I know where North is in relation to the map screens, and the arrows are pointing the right way.

If you look at the large green blob in the middle of the 62 screen, it is the same as seen in the lower right of the Montana, but not aligned the same way.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 07:12 PM
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #1521
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Question RoadTrip-BaseCamp-Montana, date transfer question........

Howdy All,

YES, to the best of my ability I did try to find an answer to this question using the search function.

I have waypoints, tracks and routes stored in both RoadTrip and BaseCamp. I am now using BaseCamp exclusively. Because I used RoadTrip first before BaseCamp came out or I should say before I became aware of it, all of the data I had stored on my 276C was put in the collection on Road Trip. I then started to use BaseCamp and in learning how to use it I lost some of my data that I had stored on RoadTrip but added all the new stuff to BaseCamp.

OK are you as confused as I am at this point

My question is this, I have now transfered from RoadTrip to the Montana all the waypoints, tracks and routes that were stored there. CAN I now transfer the waypoints, tracks and routes from BaseCamp to the Montana with out duplicating the data that is already there that was transfered from RoadTrip?

IF, the data will be duplicated is there a way to avoid this or will I have to delete it manually one piece of data at a time after its loaded in the Montana?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #1522
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
But I think North is accurate on those screens because the compass on each unit is electronic and does not rely on movement for accuracy, except if the gps is moving over a certain speed and then it will use the gps signals for the compass.
Wanted to keep it short/basic for dcstrom and because of being off topic. Also many consumer units don't have an electronic compass.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #1523
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Wanted to keep it short/basic for dcstrom and because of being off topic. Also many consumer units don't have an electronic compass.

Bruce
All the Montanas and the 62S do have an electronic compass, though.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #1524
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

YES, to the best of my ability I did try to find an answer to this question using the search function.

I have waypoints, tracks and routes stored in both RoadTrip and BaseCamp. I am now using BaseCamp exclusively. Because I used RoadTrip first before BaseCamp came out or I should say before I became aware of it, all of the data I had stored on my 276C was put in the collection on Road Trip. I then started to use BaseCamp and in learning how to use it I lost some of my data that I had stored on RoadTrip but added all the new stuff to BaseCamp.

OK are you as confused as I am at this point

My question is this, I have now transfered from RoadTrip to the Montana all the waypoints, tracks and routes that were stored there. CAN I now transfer the waypoints, tracks and routes from BaseCamp to the Montana with out duplicating the data that is already there that was transfered from RoadTrip?

IF, the data will be duplicated is there a way to avoid this or will I have to delete it manually one piece of data at a time after its loaded in the Montana?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Dave,

Is the data you have in BaseCamp the same as what you had in RoadTrip? If so, why bother transferring it a second time? If you have some data that is the same between RoadTrip and BaseCamp, you don't have to Transfer All or Nothing to the Montana. You can select what data you want to transfer in BaseCamp that is not already in the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #1525
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Dave,

Is the data you have in BaseCamp the same as what you had in RoadTrip? If so, why bother transferring it a second time? If you have some data that is the same between RoadTrip and BaseCamp, you don't have to Transfer All or Nothing to the Montana. You can select what data you want to transfer in BaseCamp that is not already in the Montana.

Cheers,
Howdy Dan,

About 50% of it is the same, the new stuff is scattered and includes waypoints, tracks and routes. I was hoping it would sort out what was already transfered and not duplicate it; so I am guessing it would be easier to delete from the BaseCamp collection what was already transfered from the RoadTrip collection and THEN doing the transfer. Once I get this done I am going to just take RoadTrip off my hard drive so I don't make the mistake of using it again.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #1526
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Dan,

About 50% of it is the same, the new stuff is scattered and includes waypoints, tracks and routes. I was hoping it would sort out what was already transfered and not duplicate it; so I am guessing it would be easier to delete from the BaseCamp collection what was already transfered from the RoadTrip collection and THEN doing the transfer. Once I get this done I am going to just take RoadTrip off my hard drive so I don't make the mistake of using it again.
That's what I'd do Dave. Spend the time now to get your data cleaned up once and you'll be ahead of the game.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #1527
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I'm sure there's a logical explanation - can somebody tell me why they North pointers are pointing in different directions? Everything else looks in sync.
Here's a better picture where both gps units are set to "North Up" at the 800 and 1.2 Km zoom range...

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #1528
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Thanks mostly to the wealth of info on this site, I finally sprung for a 650 Montana, along with CNNA, US 100K Topo and US 24K Southwest. Just wish there was a better way to find info in the hundreds of pages...

Installed the Communicator and Basecamp software. Note: my computer would not recognize the Montana until I re-booted the computer, and then re-connected the Montana.

Went to install the CNNA DVD (as received last week from GPS City), and I get a decision tree.

Since it appeared if I bypass this option, I will never get it again, I selected to Download the latest. After a 14 hour overnight download, the "Latest" is version 2012.30, at 2.07 GB. The version on the DVD is 2012.10, 2.99 GB.

So how come the "latest" is 30% smaller than the current DVD version? It may be a moot point now, as I am currently transferrig the new, smaller version to the 650. But does anybody know why it's significantly smaller, and what (if any) data was lost?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #1529
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Here's a better picture where both gps units are set to "North Up" at the 800 and 1.2 Km zoom range...

I've seen this on my 276C...head off in a direction based on which way the north arrow is pointing and within a few feet, the arrow will flip to the "correct north" ...apparently, the GPS sometimes needs to have enough movement to calculate a heading...I would try the comparrison again and move a few feet to see if that reconciles the 2 receivers...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #1530
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
Thanks mostly to the wealth of info on this site, I finally sprung for a 650 Montana, along with CNNA, US 100K Topo and US 24K Southwest. Just wish there was a better way to find info in the hundreds of pages...

Installed the Communicator and Basecamp software. Note: my computer would not recognize the Montana until I re-booted the computer, and then re-connected the Montana.

Went to install the CNNA DVD (as received last week from GPS City), and I get a decision tree.

Since it appeared if I bypass this option, I will never get it again, I selected to Download the latest. After a 14 hour overnight download, the "Latest" is version 2012.30, at 2.07 GB. The version on the DVD is 2012.10, 2.99 GB.

So how come the "latest" is 30% smaller than the current DVD version? It may be a moot point now, as I am currently transferrig the new, smaller version to the 650. But does anybody know why it's significantly smaller, and what (if any) data was lost?
There's actually more data in the new release. Garmin is using better data compression on the new maps since the newer GPS's have the memory and processing to handle them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS