ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #1576
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Been through all pages, don't remember seeing this.
Purchased 600 a few weeks ago and CNNA 2012.1. There is an update to .3 that I have downloaded and tried to install many times through the Installer on Mac OSX Lion (with an unlock code per Garmin) Webupdater doesn't work for this apparently.. Gets to the upload part and then crashes. Anyone have this, or have a work around? Garmins support pages are worthless, and haven't heard back through email in 3 days.
Howdy dacrazyrn,

I too have for the last four days tried many times to get the new version of CNNA 2012 to down load, I am trying to do this on my Mac, it gets to a certain point, the same place every-time and then it just stalls.

I haven't called Garmin, I don't want to take the chance of screwing this thing up now that I seem to have it working. I sent an email to Garmin over a week ago and still haven't heard back from them, in fact I have sent three emails and none have been replied to.

All of the questions I have had regarding this new GPS have been answered by folks on this forum and in PM's, without this support I wouldn't now have a functional GPS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #1577
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I just received my new 650 last week, and finally had a chance to play with it yesterday. Thanks to all the folks who have contributed to this thread, and particularly for the annotated Owner's Guide! I'm sure the info in this thread (I've skimmed it all, but didn't have the device in hand yet, so I'll be going back I'm sure) will help a lot.

A couple of questions. I went through the convoluted process of getting CNNA-NT 12.XX on my unit and renamed it, and after a couple of reboots it appears to be working. I also installed an older version of the West 24K Topo maps, and they are also working on the device. Even 3D map view appears to be working fine, as does the elevation shading option.

Now for the questions. I've disabled the Worldwide DEM basemap and my CNNA map. I've enable the Topo maps. Despite this, the CNNA maps still appear, overlaid on top of the Topo. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but I figured that if you disabled a map that it wouldn't appear? Also, I understand that you need to stack maps in a particular fashion to (for example) use CNNA routing but view a non-routable map instead (like the Forest Service maps that I'll eventually be downloading from the geospatial data clearinghouse). So, how do you change the stacking order of maps once they are installed?

Second question: I can see my Topo maps just fine in Basecamp, but I can't see CN-NA at all. I'm obviously missing something here - the CNNA maps don't appear to even be installed in Basecamp, and I've searched this thread to no avail. Any suggestions?

Next step is to use the tools mentioned earlier in this thread to generate an unlock code so I can upgrade the CN-NA on my older, refurbed Zumo 550. I misplaced the unlock code for the CNNA that came with it a long time ago.

In all - this is going to be a nice tool. I plan to use it on my F650GS Dakar, on my new Husaberg, and as a car unit in a couple of vehicles (replacing an old Magellen unit). It'll also get a workout hiking next summer.
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #1578
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy dacrazyrn,

I too have for the last four days tried many times to get the new version of CNNA 2012 to down load, I am trying to do this on my Mac, it gets to a certain point, the same place every-time and then it just stalls.

I haven't called Garmin, I don't want to take the chance of screwing this thing up now that I seem to have it working. I sent an email to Garmin over a week ago and still haven't heard back from them, in fact I have sent three emails and none have been replied to.

All of the questions I have had regarding this new GPS have been answered by folks on this forum and in PM's, without this support I wouldn't now have a functional GPS.
Ditto for me (and I've posted about in this thread very recently). The GarminMapUpdater App (for Mac) crashes every time I try to download my one-time free map update for City Navigator (from 2012.10, which I loaded from DVD, to 2012.3). I called Garmin and was put through to a fellow from the Mac Software team. I spent over 90 minutes with him and neither he, nor a couple of his colleagues, could solve the issue. At the end, he made two suggestions: 1) try the download using another internet connection (not my home one); and 2) wait for a month, or so, in case there was a new version of the MapUpdater (he surmised that there might be one because the first thing the App does is update itself when you download it. Well, I tried the first suggestion, with the same results as at home. I then e-mailed the fellow at Garmin to let him know. He then asked that I send him copies of a couple of files (one from the device, the other from my computer). I have not heard anything in the few days since I sent those files to Garmin.

Clearly, there's a problem with the MapUpdater for Mac, though it seems to be related to the Montana (I say that because the day before I first tried updating the version of City Navigator that I bought with the Montana, I successfully downloaded an update to the City Navigator maps on my Nuvi 3750.

The hard part for any of us is getting this info -- now from several sources -- to the right people at Garmin. I just sent an e-mail to the Garmin contact on the Mac Software team to let him know that two others have reported what appears to be the same problem and that the common thread seems to be Mac computers and the Montana device.

marco polo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 03:05 PM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #1579
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Ditto for me (and I've posted about in this thread very recently). The GarminMapUpdater App (for Mac) crashes every time I try to download my one-time free map update for City Navigator (from 2012.10, which I loaded from DVD, to 2012.3). I called Garmin and was put through to a fellow from the Mac Software team. I spent over 90 minutes with him and neither he, nor a couple of his colleagues, could solve the issue. At the end, he made two suggestions: 1) try the download using another internet connection (not my home one); and 2) wait for a month, or so, in case there was a new version of the MapUpdater (he surmised that there might be one because the first thing the App does is update itself when you download it. Well, I tried the first suggestion, with the same results as at home. I then e-mailed the fellow at Garmin to let him know. He then asked that I send him copies of a couple of files (one from the device, the other from my computer). I have not heard anything in the few days since I sent those files to Garmin.

Clearly, there's a problem with the MapUpdater for Mac, though it seems to be related to the Montana (I say that because the day before I first tried updating the version of City Navigator that I bought with the Montana, I successfully downloaded an update to the City Navigator maps on my Nuvi 3750.

The hard part for any of us is getting this info -- now from several sources -- to the right people at Garmin.
Howdy marco polo,

From what I have read on the Garmin site, the free up date is ONLY available for 30 days from the date of sale of the unit. So this makes me wonder will the free up date be honored if it takes more then a month for the Garmin to figure this out or will we who are having this problem not get the one time free up grade to our maps?

This leads to another question, when I bought the Montana I also bought the disks for the city maps and the 100k topo maps, I did this as I wanted to be able to work with the maps on my computer. "IF" a person spends the money to get the "life time" map up grades, will those up grades show up and work on your computer "OR" are they an upgrade to the GPS unit itself only?

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #1580
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Here's the text of the e-mail I just got from Garmin:

"I tried several different map combinations on several different Montanas with the same results. Only TOPO mapping will display in 3D view because of the elevation information they contain. It even mentions this feature on the website on the TOPO Mapping Features page.

Provides elevation profile on compatible devices so you can estimate terrain difficulty.
City Navigator does not contain this elevation profile, and therefore cannot be displayed in 3D view.

I apologize for giving you misinformation on the phone, but the AutoRoute Basemap also cannot be viewed in 3D mode. The reason I thought this, was because if a device has TOPO maps on it at all, such as a Montana 650t, even if the TOPO mapping is disabled, will display a map in 3D, and thus I was interpreting that map to be the basemap. Honestly, the 3D view is not extremely helpful for navigation, as it does not show street names or any other information but elevation, so it is not a necessary feature. I understand that it frustrating to purchase detailed mapping and not see it in the 3D feature, but unfortunately that is only a TOPO map feature.
If you have any further questions and would like me to give you a call back please let me know. Thank you for all your patience and understanding in this matter
."
Now that is funny. Wonder why one of my Montana 650's (with NO Topo's installed) shows 3D View. I do agree with the Tech from ProdSupp though, 3D View is a rather worthless piece of code.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #1581
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Howdy marco polo,

From what I have read on the Garmin site, the free up date is ONLY available for 30 days from the date of sale of the unit. So this makes me wonder will the free up date be honored if it takes more then a month for the Garmin to figure this out or will we who are having this problem not get the one time free up grade to our maps?

This leads to another question, when I bought the Montana I also bought the disks for the city maps and the 100k topo maps, I did this as I wanted to be able to work with the maps on my computer. "IF" a person spends the money to get the "life time" map up grades, will those up grades show up and work on your computer "OR" are they an upgrade to the GPS unit itself only?
When I check my map status at MyGarmin, it shows my one-time update as not expiring until November 2012 -- a full year after I bought and registered my Montana. Did you register your Montana on Garmin's website (look for MyGarmin)?

As for using any map update on your computer, I've read in this thread several times that, when you download an update to maps, you are given the choice of downloading the update to your GPS, to your computer, or both.

marco polo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 03:21 PM
Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #1582
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Now that is funny. Wonder why one of my Montana 650's (with NO Topo's installed) shows 3D View. I do agree with the Tech from ProdSupp though, 3D View is a rather worthless piece of code.

Cheers,
That's what I thought too and I said to the Garmin rep that I thought I had read of Montana users being able to activate 3D view without Topo maps loaded on the device. That said, I agree that it's not something that I thought I'd find useful. I was more curious than anything and also figured that, if it's supposed to work, then it should work.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #1583
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Howdy marco polo,

You can load any Garmin map onto as many Computers as you see fit - including Lifetime Map Updates. Once you have purchased the Lifetime Map Update, download and install the Lifetime Map Updater application. It installs as a persistent app in the Mac Menu Bar. You can configure it for one or many GPS units (each one needs it's own LTM license of course). Once configured with the GPS connected, you no longer have to have the GPS connected to download map updates. The LMU app will do it automatically and install on your computer, the GPS or both depending upon your configuration.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 03:36 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #1584
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,085
Quote:
When I check my map status at MyGarmin, it shows my one-time update as not expiring until November 2012 -- a full year after I bought and registered my Montana. Did you register your Montana on Garmin's website (look for MyGarmin)?

As for using any map update on your computer, I've read in this thread several times that, when you download an update to maps, you are given the choice of downloading the update to your GPS, to your computer, or both.
The 30 day limit on your free map upgrade is to 'order' the update. After you've ordered it, you get 1 year to download it as often as you want to.

And as far as installing the update map on the computer goes, you need to go into the Advanced setting and choose that option.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #1585
Mr. Cob

Howdy All,

Now I am really confused, don't fret this is a normal state of mind for me, I have been trying to down load the new version of city maps and to the best of my knowledge I have failed to do so.

However this is what I just copied from "My Garmin" If I am reading this correctly it now says that I have until, Dec 2, 2012 to down load these maps ( the first time I was directed to this page it told me I had 30 days from date of purchase to get the free down load ) yet if you continue to read it says that the up date was installed and unlocked on Dec 3, 2011

So know I don't have a clue what is going on, are the up dated maps on my Montana or my computer, if they are I can't find them, has my one time free up date been used or is it still available until Dec 2, 2012 ? I tell ya folks, being a Luddite that is addicted to high tech stuff is a real bitch sometimes.

Below is what I copied from "My Garmin"

Garmin logo

Home
myDashboard
myProducts
myMaps
myExtras
mySupport

Manage Maps
Select Your Device:

Unit Id:3xxx85xxxx
Map Downloads | Map Updates | | Installed Maps
Map Downloads:
nüMaps Onetime™ City Navigator® North America NT 2012

xxxY7xxx

Expires: Dec 2, 2012

Download
Map Updates:

No update available
Installed Maps:
City Navigator North America NT 2012 - DVD, Apr 11
Code: xxx8dxxx
Unlock Code: xxxME9xxxKW9CNTxxxLB7xxx
Date Unlocked: December 3, 2011
City Navigator North America NT 2012.30, Oct 11
Code: xxxx7xxx
Unlock Code: xxxxF7xxxx45TVxxxN8Txxxx
Date Unlocked: December 3, 2011

Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #1586
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
I got my montana 600 a few days ago and just got my north american maps. After downloading should the map file be visible in any of the folders when I've got the unit connected to my pc?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #1587
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I got my montana 600 a few days ago and just got my north american maps. After downloading should the map file be visible in any of the folders when I've got the unit connected to my pc?
Yes, in the \garmin folder on the gps or the uSD card if you have one.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #1588
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Yes, in the \garmin folder on the gps or the uSD card if you have one.
Thanks. I don't see any particularly large files. Should the CNNA be a series of files or primarily one large file. This is my first gps (yea, I know, its obvious) and hope to experiment with it this weekend on some local dirt roads.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #1589
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks. I don't see any particularly large files. Should the CNNA be a series of files or primarily one large file. This is my first gps (yea, I know, its obvious) and hope to experiment with it this weekend on some local dirt roads.
Unless you've renamed it, it will be called gmapsupp.img.

Sounds to me like the maps are on your computer but not the gps. You'll likely need to install the maps with MapInstall, or Mapsource, if you have it.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #1590
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Unless you've renamed it, it will be called gmapsupp.img.

Sounds to me like the maps are on your computer but not the gps. You'll likely need to install the maps with MapInstall, or Mapsource, if you have it.

I've got gmapbmap.img but not gmapsupp.img. I'll look around for the other file.