ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #1666
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I don't have Russia maps but I do have many others, including Topo Canada V4, OSM maps, and CN-NA and I have no trouble doing any address searches no matter which maps are enabled.
If your "other" maps are North America maps you won't see this problem.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #1667
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If your "other" maps are North America maps you won't see this problem.

Cheers,
They are all NA maps.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #1668
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

A lot of people say they'd never use the camera so they buy the 600 Montana but if you have the 650 model of the Montana, ie with a Geotagging camera onboard, and you're using BaseCamp (Mac version in my case), when your gps is plugged into your computer, you can select two or even many images in the collection and right click on one, and select "Create Route from Waypoints".

Doesn't get much easier than that.

I know you can do the same with waypoints you've saved, but images just seem easier to work with.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #1669
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
A lot of people say they'd never use the camera so they buy the 600 Montana but if you have the 650 model of the Montana, ie with a Geotagging camera onboard, and you're using BaseCamp (Mac version in my case), when your gps is plugged into your computer, you can select two or even many images in the collection and right click on one, and select "Create Route from Waypoints".

Doesn't get much easier than that.

I know you can do the same with waypoints you've saved, but images just seem easier to work with.
OK, so you've created a Route using Photo-waypoints in BaseCamp. Please set proximity alerts on each of the Photo-waypoints (say, 0.100mi or 0.160km) and then transfer just the Route to your Montana's internal storage.

Then start up the Montana and let us know what you get please.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #1670
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
OK, so you've created a Route using Photo-waypoints in BaseCamp. Please set proximity alerts on each of the Photo-waypoints (say, 0.100mi or 0.160km) and then transfer just the Route to your Montana's internal storage.

Then start up the Montana and let us know what you get please.

Cheers,
I set a proximity on the pictures but they're miles away and navigating in demo mode will take a while... I'll do the same with a closer picture asap.

What is the expected or desired outcome of this? And I wonder if there is a difference between setting a proximity in BaseCamp vs setting a proximity radius in the picture's properties in the gps? Both can be set, but I don't know if one or the other method is more powerful, or if either is equivalent.

Edit - as I navigated the route in demo mode, I was presented with a white screen with the text "Approaching Proximity Point" and "Leaving Proximity Point" as I went by the picture's PZ set range. Both of those alerts required me to hit OK to leave them.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 11:54 AM
Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #1671
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I set a proximity on the pictures but they're miles away and navigating in demo mode will take a while... I'll do the same with a closer picture asap.

What is the expected or desired outcome of this? And I wonder if there is a difference between setting a proximity in BaseCamp vs setting a proximity radius in the picture's properties in the gps? Both can be set, but I don't know if one or the other method is more powerful, or if either is equivalent.

Edit - as I navigated the route in demo mode, I was presented with a white screen with the text "Approaching Proximity Point" and "Leaving Proximity Point" as I went by the picture's PZ set range. Both of those alerts required me to hit OK to leave them.
When you look in Waypoint Manager do you see your Waypoint-photo's?

Here's my problem:
  1. If I create a Waypoint in BaseCamp using a Photo and add attributes to the waypoint - like Proximity - and then transfer it to the Montana internal storage, I would expect to get the following but only get a Photo in the Photo Viewer:
    • Waypoint with photo attached in Waypoint Manager
    • Photo in Photo Viewer
    • Proximity Alarm in the Proximity Alarms app
  2. If I create Photo-waypoints and use them in a Route then transfer that Route to the Montana, I would expect to get the following but get no photos attached to the waypoints and no Photos in the Photo Viewer:
    • Waypoints with Photo's attached
    • Proximity Alarms
    • Photo's in the Photo Viewer

I actually I know this is a BaseCamp issue and not a Montana issue. If you want this type of capability between BaseCamp and your Montana, you should go to the Garmin BaseCamp Fora and request support. Otherwise they will not "turn it on" - the feature code is already in place.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 03:04 PM Reason: To get Montana 650/650t users attention!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #1672
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
When you look in Waypoint Manager do you see your Waypoint-photo's?

Here's my problem:
  1. If I create a Waypoint in BaseCamp using a Photo and add attributes to the waypoint - like Proximity - and then transfer it to the Montana internal storage, I would expect to get the following but only get a Photo in the Photo Viewer:
    • Waypoint with photo attached in Waypoint Manager
    • Photo in Photo Viewer
    • Proximity Alarm in the Proximity Alarms app
  2. If I create Photo-waypoints and use them in a Route then transfer that Route to the Montana, I would expect to get the following but get no photos attached to the waypoints and no Photos in the Photo Viewer:
    • Waypoints with Photo's attached
    • Proximity Alarms
    • Photo's in the Photo Viewer

I actually I know this is a BaseCamp issue and not a Montana issue. If you want this type of capability between BaseCamp and your Montana, you should go to the Garmin BaseCamp Fora and request support. Otherwise they will not "turn it on" - the feature code is already in place.

Cheers,
Well the Waypoints/Photo were taken by and already on the Montana so that's a difference in my test. The Geotagged photos are just that, they're not actual waypoints until you go to the picture and save them as waypoints.

When I made the route in BaseCamp it was using the photos on the Montana as the waypoints.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #1673
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Well the Waypoints/Photo were taken by and already on the Montana so that's a difference in my test. The Geotagged photos are just that, they're not actual waypoints until you go to the picture and save them as waypoints.

When I made the route in BaseCamp it was using the photos on the Montana as the waypoints.
Riiiiiight. Now, once you remove those Photo-Waypoints from the Montana, there's no going back - without a lot of effort to recreate the photo-waypoints again one by one on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 04:40 PM
Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #1674
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Riiiiiight. Now, once you remove those Photo-Waypoints from the Montana, there's no going back - without a lot of effort to recreate the photo-waypoints again one by one on the Montana.

So are you saying that if I imported/backed up the photos in BaseCamp, then took them off the gps or uSD card, I would have a hard time re-using those same backed up photos as waypoints to use in navigation and route building? This doesn't make sense. Do they lose their geotagged attributes somehow?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #1675
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
So are you saying that if I imported/backed up the photos in BaseCamp, then took them off the gps or uSD card, I would have a hard time re-using those same backed up photos as waypoints to use in navigation and route building? This doesn't make sense. Do they lose their geotagged attributes somehow?
If you remove the Photo-waypoints and Photos from the Montana you will have to recreate the photo-waypoints once you transfer the Photo's back to the Montana. If you just try transferring the photo-waypoints back to the Montana, you will only get the Waypoints without the photo linked to it. BaseCamp does not apply the linkage between the photo and the waypoint you created from it when it sends the waypoints back to the GPS.

So, you can just use Photos for round trip or you can use waypoints roundtrip but you can't use Photo-waypoints roundtrip.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #1676
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 696
Hey Dan
Thanks all the effort you've put into this. I've read your article on globeriders and most of this thread.
So this will be my first gps. I've been holding off, using my iphone but this looks like the one to get. I've looked at the Montana at REI, the only thing bothering me is the resolution seems to be not nearly as good as the iphone. Is this something I just need to get used to?

I'm also used to mapping routes on google maps so would I just keep doing that and then transferring those into Base camp or do you prefer to design routes in Basecamp?

What about the lack of bluetooth? I don't have an intercom system in my helmet but I do use earbuds for my iphone.
Do you really need the voice prompts? Seems like that would annoy me more than anything and I usually keep up with my next turn fine without.

So now that you've had the 650 for a while, are you using the camera...is it worth the extra money?

thanks!
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #1677
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Hey Dan
Thanks all the effort you've put into this. I've read your article on globeriders and most of this thread.
So this will be my first gps. I've been holding off, using my iphone but this looks like the one to get. I've looked at the Montana at REI, the only thing bothering me is the resolution seems to be not nearly as good as the iphone. Is this something I just need to get used to?
I don't expect to see a GPS from Garmin with the iPhone 4 display resolution for a long time. The Montana's is the best on the market currently.

Quote:
I'm also used to mapping routes on google maps so would I just keep doing that and then transferring those into Base camp or do you prefer to design routes in Basecamp?
I use to use Google Maps and Earth to create Route/Track data but it got to be a lot of work. I much prefer BaseCamp - but then I don't have a High Speed Broadband connection - I live in the boondocks. I use BirdsEye Imagery to validate waypoints/routes/tracks if in question.

Quote:
What about the lack of bluetooth? I don't have an intercom system in my helmet but I do use earbuds for my iphone.
Do you really need the voice prompts? Seems like that would annoy me more than anything and I usually keep up with my next turn fine without.
I sold my zumo 660 because I wasn't using Audio Navigation prompts. I like to navigate so I usually know what's coming and use the GPS for my look ahead. The screen prompts are good enough for me. I do have Bluetooth in my Schuberth C3 (SRC-S) that connects to my iPhone, Bike2Bike and my Wife's C3W. I do like music when I'm on the open road and the ability to take phone calls.

Quote:
So now that you've had the 650 for a while, are you using the camera...is it worth the extra money?

thanks!
I use the Montana camera to take snaps that I may want to post to Facebook or use later for Waypoints. It certainly isn't any better than the iPhone, which I also use, but it is handy - especially for those Waypoints.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #1678
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Another day, another Beta release for the Montana. Isn't this fun?

If you're a careful kind of person, you might want to see what others are saying about this release before trying it yourself.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=287316

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5679

Updates & Downloads

Montana software version 3.68 Beta
as of December 20, 2011

Download (6.36 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.
Change History
Changes made from version 3.67 to 3.68:
Fixed issue with power off barometric pressure trending
Fixed issue with barometric pressure plot when stationary
Fixed issue with display when entering USB mass storage
Fixed issue with current lap data field in dashboards
Improved Arabic keyboard
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com
Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #1679
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
yesterday I noticed this: I opened Calendar and there was an entry in December, 6th. The entry reads that a new track was created and saved, but wait a minute, I did nothing in Dec 6th. That particular track was actually created in Dec 11th. Discovered time travel!
(version 3.6)

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #1680
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Radar Detector?

Has anyone else had their unit go nuts when going through a radar trap? Travelling along interstate 80 yesterday the unit was navigating back to my house. We approached a state trooper running radar and the unit went berserk. It kept recalculating and beeping until the cop and his radar passed in front of us. The second the cop passed us the unit went back to normal operation.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote