ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #166
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 197
montana

im on a waiting list...for mine :(
Chrisitian if you dont mind telling us where did you order from...
i'm getting desperate...like a kid waiting for xmas presents only to be told go to bed....
Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #167
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepetrueba View Post
im on a waiting list...for mine :(
Chrisitian if you dont mind telling us where did you order from...
i'm getting desperate...like a kid waiting for xmas presents only to be told go to bed....
gpscity.com
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #168
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
can you download tracks from basecamp (or MS) and have the pre-set track colors maintained?
Yes, I downloaded one of countdown library (tahoe) from my site onto the Montana, and each track keeps its color using Mapsource 6.16.2

One thing I am struggling so far is to show all the tracks on the maps.
Right now I have to go to each track and click "Show on Map" and then they'll start to show up with their respective colors.

I'd like to have all tracks show up. No setting on the Unit itself that I can find, maybe it's something on countdown file. investigating.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #169
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,734
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #170
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,801
If the autorecalc cannot be turned off, I'll be very disappointed. Sucks.

Mine is due next week after the handlebar mounts come in.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #171
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
There is no Garmin GPX Extension that defines "Show/No Show" for gpx-types (Tracks, Routes, Waypoints).

The GPS must provide that option. In the case of the Montana, the Track Manager does not appear to have a Show All/Hide All option. It would certainly be a nice to have.

I didn't get any joy from asking the zumo 66x group for the Show All option in Off Road Tracks. Maybe the Montana software team will be more responsive - only numbers of customers asking will tell. . .

Cheers, - got to go do some "testing"

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #172
Unox
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
if you can, I haven't found it yet... and I promised I searched.
ok thanks, I'm not too suprised....
Unox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #173
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Definitely NO option to set Recalculation = OFF while auto-routing. Options are Faster/Shorter I looked in all available profiles and Activities while navigating a Route. You can only set how the Route "transitions" from waypoint to waypoint when Direct Routing.

It should probably be on the Requested Features list but with the ability to navigate Tracks and "pin" Waypoints to Track points, I don't know that it has that much importance on the Montana.

I think in the future I'd be more likely to create a Route in BaseCamp and convert it to a Track for use on the Montana.

By the way there is an update already to v2.40 which I have completed. It really only fixed some "shutdown" issues. But, there still are a couple.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #174
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

First observation's of the Montana 650 (aside from above):
  1. Really like the size/shape of the unit. When in the hand it seems to fit well and the anti-slip coating on the back is very reassuring.
  2. General finish of the unit is very good.
  3. The screen rotation only works on three sides: 2 landscapes, 1 portraite (Garmin name at the bottom). Wonder if the 600 has all four screen positions? Now that I think about it a bit I don't get why three sides?
  4. Major Concerns:
    • The supplied Lithium battery rattles side-to-side a bit when the unit is shaken. Long term this will ware the contacts so little electrical tape on the sides of the battery should fix this.
    • The battery door does not seat as solidly as I would have expected with the Lithium pack installed.
    • With AA batteries installed, the battery door edges seems to be bulged out slightly and it still doesn't look as seated as I would have expected.

I did do the "dunk" test to make sure no water was getting past the door seal and it was dry but that isn't the real world on-bike weather/vibration conditions. Time will tell.

Wish I had my Rugged Mount - I need to go for a ride

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 07:01 AM
Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #175
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 761
USB charging...

Glad to see battery charges off USB power.

Tried copying JNX (birdseye) files from my 78s onto the 650, but gasp files are locked to the original device and will not open. No big surprise but worth a shot. This would have been a big time saver. Perhaps Garmin will demostrate their excellent customer service abilities and migrate my subscription to the new 650? Not holding my breathe.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #176
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Glad to see battery charges off USB power.

Tried copying JNX (birdseye) files from my 78s onto the 650, but gasp files are locked to the original device and will not open. No big surprise but worth a shot. This would have been a big time saver. Perhaps Garmin will demostrate their excellent customer service abilities and migrate my subscription to the new 650? Not holding my breathe.
Just like with all of Garmin's "subscription" service's, the "subscription" (content) is linked to a single device. When you no long own that device the subscription is no longer valid. Maybe you'll get a kind ear since you "upgraded" to the Montana but that would be a rare occasion I think.

Good luck though.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #177
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Following this thread with interest, but have one question: could someone tell me why they feel it is so important to be able to turn off recalc for auto-routing? I don't get it, so I suspect I'm missing something...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #178
Maddin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Following this thread with interest, but have one question: could someone tell me why they feel it is so important to be able to turn off recalc for auto-routing? I don't get it, so I suspect I'm missing something...
Hi,

when you plan a tour on your computer (for example with Basecamp) you don't want the gps to recalc the routing with the given waypoints, because the routes can be different then.

Regards
Martin
Maddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #179
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Howdy Tom,

Maddin said it. But as usual I'll add my 2 cents.

Routing is a mathematical equation with a lot of variables and some given elements. The given elements are Waypoints you select. The variables come from the map set data the route is operating on. If the maps you use on your computer to create the route are exactly the same type and version as the ones on your GPS, no problem. But, that is often not the case and so the route [equation] you create on your computer is most likely going to generate a different result on your GPS or someone else's.

When you send a Route to the GPS, it can see what the map set type and version was that the route was created on. If the GPS maps are different, the GPS will recalculate the route so as to try and provide a "good" route. As Maddin said, that recalculation will likely screw up your original route in some way [for the reasons above]. If you can turn Recalculation OFF, the GPS will not automatically try to recalculate the route and present it as it was originally created - even if the GPS maps don't have a road where the original route traversed.

Here is what it looks like on the Montana:

This is the original Route created in BaseCamp on CNNA maps.

The red line is the path the route should be on. The magenta line is the route as it is first opened on the Montana and it recognizes that the route was created on different maps - the blue pin's are my waypoints:

The Montana Recalculates the Route:

Hope that helped.

Since you're still in Moscow I assume all is going well.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 06:56 AM
Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #180
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
So, you can create the "perfect, off the beaten path, hit the high spots, very detailed, go exactly where I wanna go" route on the computer:

And then when you load it on your GPS, it will automaticly re-calculate the route and possibly leave out your good roads/trails you were so careful to include on your epic ride????