ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #1786
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
This is my Feature Request list "open items" for the Montana. If you like/want any of these and haven't expressed it to the Montana Team please do so. If you have others...?
[*]Track - "Show on Map". Please save the Track "Show on Map" selection in the GPX data so that when a Track is shared with other GPS it will show on the Map as defined in the GPX data - just like Color selection is saved.
Cheers,
Isn't this a Basecamp (Mapsource) issue, not Montana? You should also add being able to view "Show on Map" in track properties in BaseCamp and as a final last change to Mapsource which is perfect except for that.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #1787
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
I have been on 2 rides in the last couple of weeks, with 2 different Montanas, I'm on 4th one now, with all the related problems, the last one was having irrepairable software issues while in contact with Garmin.

The last and latest problem is the gps starting a new track at 3000 trackpoints. the old gps did this almost exactly every 3000.
Got the new gps and loaded CNNA 2012 and nothing else no changes to settings did a 10 hour DS ride. I had a 3000, 3000 and then the last was 6800?? Settings were automatic record, normal rate and archive daily.
Anybody else have any have this issue, how do I get to 10,000 trackpoints?

Along with this how do I open these three tracks and do a track join? I can open each seperately but the join tool is grayed out I used BC and MS and tried putting them in the same folder (whatever it is called) I'm sure this is childs play but I'm frustrated with my Montana and BC.

I have done about 10,000 miles on my LC4 with my 76C and 76Cx which both worked flawlessly, but sure like the Montana Display and features.

Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #1788
rritterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
BirdsEye Topo's are Imagery. They are not vector maps like the US 24K Topo's are - hence, no routing. I personally don't find them very useful: YMMV.

As you discovered they do not show when in Automotive Mode due to the 3D map view. The BirdsEye Topo's don't have DEM data. But, your BaseMap does so you'll be OK for Track recording, etc.

Yep, Shortcuts are great.

Cheers,
Do the topos on DVD have DEM data? For what reason has Garmin limited the quality of the maps available via subscription? Is there a technical limitation on downloading vector-based maps?

Not being routable is not a deal breaker, as it's not like I'm going to search for the nearest grocery store while 50 miles off road and then want turn-by-turn directions to get there. With city navigator also installed, it covers all of the routing I need. Have others found 3D data from the DVD topos useful? I could see it being neat and convenient, but certainly not necessary given they already have topo lines every 20 feet in elevation. And, given that buying an entire USA's worth of 24K topos would be $1000 or more, the $30 a year seems like a good deal.
rritterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #1789
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Isn't this a Basecamp (Mapsource) issue, not Montana? You should also add being able to view "Show on Map" in track properties in BaseCamp and as a final last change to Mapsource which is perfect except for that.
It's a "both" issue. The Montana needs to write and read the setting as does BaseCamp.

By the I don't think I've ever seen MapSource and the word perfect in the same sentence. ;)

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #1790
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I have been on 2 rides in the last couple of weeks, with 2 different Montanas, I'm on 4th one now, with all the related problems, the last one was having irrepairable software issues while in contact with Garmin.

The last and latest problem is the gps starting a new track at 3000 trackpoints. the old gps did this almost exactly every 3000.
Got the new gps and loaded CNNA 2012 and nothing else no changes to settings did a 10 hour DS ride. I had a 3000, 3000 and then the last was 6800?? Settings were automatic record, normal rate and archive daily.
Anybody else have any have this issue, how do I get to 10,000 trackpoints?

Along with this how do I open these three tracks and do a track join? I can open each seperately but the join tool is grayed out I used BC and MS and tried putting them in the same folder (whatever it is called) I'm sure this is childs play but I'm frustrated with my Montana and BC.

I have done about 10,000 miles on my LC4 with my 76C and 76Cx which both worked flawlessly, but sure like the Montana Display and features.

Thanks
Sorry to hear you've had so many issues. What version software is your Montana using? I would recommend installing v3.70 if it isn't already - use WebUpdater.

I'm not quite understanding what your Montana track problem is. Are you saying that it is Archiving before the day is over and the track segments are bad?

The 10,000 point limit is not per Archive, it's per track. Same with tracks in the Track Manager. Hard to diagnose from here.

As for joining tracks in BaseCamp, have you selected the tracks you want to join and then right click and select Join Selected Tracks?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1791
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's a "both" issue. The Montana needs to write and read the setting as does BaseCamp.

By the I don't think I've ever seen MapSource and the word perfect in the same sentence. ;) Cheers,
Also "if"! I manage several thousand tracks but do very little routing and no GE so don't know all the desireable features. Just curious, what doesn't Mapsource do?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #1792
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The last and latest problem is the gps starting a new track at 3000 trackpoints. the old gps did this almost exactly every 3000. Got the new gps and loaded CNNA 2012 and nothing else no changes to settings did a 10 hour DS ride. I had a 3000, 3000 and then the last was 6800?? Settings were automatic record, normal rate and archive daily. Anybody else have any have this issue, how do I get to 10,000 trackpoints? Thanks
On 60/76, any power interupt or more important, loss of satalite will start a new Active Log segment.

Actually when I am scouting, I like to have my Active Log in segments. It makes it much easier to Name, and save in my master files for future use. I do this by just turning Off then On The Track Log.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1793
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Along with this how do I open these three tracks and do a track join? I can open each seperately but the join tool is grayed out I used BC and MS and tried putting them in the same folder (whatever it is called) I'm sure this is childs play but I'm frustrated with my Montana and BC. Thanks
I know Basecamp has "Cut" and "Join" tools but can you also cut and past track points from one track properties pop-up to another like Mapsource?

I have Horse Race Promoter friend with Basecamp on Mac and he is having trouble doing this. He sent me .gpx files and I did it for him easy in (perfect) MapSource then sent them back to him but I would rather teach how to do it in his BaseCamp.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #1794
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Absolutely call Product Support and request a replacement. The pin-base is part of the Cable which is attached to the Mount with two T6 screws - it can be removed easily. Have Garmin replace the Cable or complete mount - whatever they choose.

Cheers,
Thanks guys. I called Garmin and they are sending a new one right out. Said they had never heard of that problem before.
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #1795
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I know Basecamp has "Cut" and "Join" tools but can you also cut and past track points from one track properties pop-up to another like Mapsource?

I have Horse Race Promoter friend with Basecamp on Mac and he is having trouble doing this. He sent me .gpx files and I did it for him easy in (perfect) MapSource then sent them back to him but I would rather teach how to do it in his BaseCamp.
Currently the Track Properties window does not support cut/past of Track Points.

The current method (which I find to be quite simple) is to split the track segments where you want and do a Join of the segments (you can join multiple segments and choose the order of the segments) - of course you need to make sure the direction of a each segment is going in the proper direction just as you would with a cut/past approach.

Method in BaseCamp-Mac:

Double-click on Track to show Properties and high-light on Map. Use Select Tool (Arrow) to select Split point by double-clicking on the point in question. Select Split at Selected Point from Options (lower Left corner of Properties window. Once you've Split your Tracks simply select the segments you want to joint and right-click, select Joint Tracks.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #1796
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Just curious, what doesn't Mapsource do?
I think we've had this discussion a few times... ...I think we'll have to have a beer over this one.

And, like I point out in my BaseCamp article, if there's no reason for one to change, don't change.

MapSource does not do:
  • Photo geotagging
  • Photo waypoint
  • Track to Route conversion
  • Route to Track conversion
  • Satellite Imagery (BirdsEye)
  • Paperless Geocaching (I know you don't - but there's more of them than us. . .er, you. I Geocache as do some of my customers on tour).

As you can see it's a short list but the bottom line is it will get longer rather than shorter as older GPS's are forgotten and newer ones are introduced - along with new features. Oh, and the BaseCamp Team seem to actually talk to the GPS Brand teams regarding feature support.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #1797
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
2 Questions

Perhaps I'm being dense, but I don't see how to setup things so that my tracks,waypoints, routes, etc are saved to the SD card in the unit. Do I really have to manually drag stuff in Basecamp to move things from the internal memory to the SD card?

Secondly, I thought I read online that the unit allowed up to 250 via/waypoints when navigating a route (on road). I've tried to convert some tracks to routes in basecamp and that worked well. However after the resultant routes were transferred to the GPS the Montana will initially show the entire route then truncate the route to the first 50 waypoints that Bascamp made. So for, example, this 175 mile route ends up being about 30 miles when you try to navigate it. If that's the case this unit is really no better than my old 60CS in regards to using it for on road routes.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #1798
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Perhaps I'm being dense, but I don't see how to setup things so that my tracks,waypoints, routes, etc are saved to the SD card in the unit. Do I really have to manually drag stuff in Basecamp to move things from the internal memory to the SD card?

Secondly, I thought I read online that the unit allowed up to 250 via/waypoints when navigating a route (on road). I've tried to convert some tracks to routes in basecamp and that worked well. However after the resultant routes were transferred to the GPS the Montana will initially show the entire route then truncate the route to the first 50 waypoints that Bascamp made. So for, example, this 175 mile route ends up being about 30 miles when you try to navigate it. If that's the case this unit is really no better than my old 60CS in regards to using it for on road routes.
Firstly, the Montana does not store data on the µSD card - with one exception. That is your storage space. There is more than enough storage space on the Montana internal memory for Tracks/Waypoints/Routes that you create on the Montana unless you've used it for Maps/Photos/BirdsEye: which is why the Camera can be configured to save Photo's on the µSD card.

Secondly, I can't imagine that your Route needs that many Via Points in order to route you correctly(?). I would suggest you reduce the Via Point count to something like 5 or 10 and see how your route calculates. By the way, in your example, the route is actually going to continue to calculate ahead when you near the end of the currently shown segment - unlike the GPSMAP 60 Series. This was done to save memory on the Montana while routing. I don't like it either as it will also do this with Routes over 1200mi even if they have NO via points.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 09:39 AM
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #1799
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
I'm in the market for the 650t. There are way too many posts in this thread which leads me to believe it's a complicated unit to operate.
Am I biting off more than I can chew here? Looking for some assurance from the owners maybe...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #1800
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Firstly, the Montana does not store data on the

Secondly, I can't imagine that your Route needs that many Via Points in order to route you correctly(?). I would suggest you reduce the Via Point count to something like 5 or 10 and see how your route calculates. By the way, in your example, the route is actually going to continue to calculate ahead when you near the end of the currently shown segment - unlike the GPSMAP 60 Series. This was done to save memory on the Montana while routing. I don't like it either as it will also do this with Routes over 1200mi even if they have NO via points.

Cheers,
The amount of via points are there to shape the route. Otherwise the route is all wonky. After clicking OK to the prompt that only 50 are allowed it just goes back to the map screen with no navigation at all.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote